Reload this Page >

Bad ears pain when flying

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:27 AM
jo

EAR PLANES!!! <BR> <BR>These are the best and can be purchased at any drug store. My kids never complain of ear pain since using this product. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 06:46 PM
wendy

I always fly with Sinaid and my ears do not even pop.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:47 AM
Nerida

Wendy - what is Sinaid? I am in Australia and we don't seem to have that brand..... is it an anti-histamine thing or a head-cold thing? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Nerida

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:55 AM
wendy

Any sinus medicine seems to work for me. And I fly a lot. In fact, if you have kids, my doctor told me to give the kids a liquid decongestant before they fly as well.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Jo

I fly with my kids a couple of times a year. <BR> <BR>The decongestant only make them sleepy and it helps their ears a little but doesn't take away the pain. The ear planes are the best thing that I have found for adults and kids. <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Ariel

Jo - what are ear planes? I've never heard of them, nor has my local drug store. Can you describe them. Do you know how old a child has to be to use them. <BR> <BR>Thanks - I am about to fly 15 hours total (3 different planes) to get to my in-laws town with my daughter - would love to get these things before I go (on FRIDAY!)

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:22 AM
John

What are Ear Planes and where can you get them??

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Austin

<BR>I have reccommended EAR PLANES on this board before and am doing it again because unlike most things in this world--they work. <BR>I have bought them in Walgreens Eckerds and even a small family drug store so it must be available nationally. <BR>They are little plastic things you screw in your ears---come in kids size and adult size---you screw them in on take off and more importantly half an hour before landing. <BR>They feel like they are falling out but they still work--ask an ent dr. <BR>You only use them on take off and landing--thats the story! <BR> <BR>AH

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Jo

Ariel and John <BR> <BR>Ear planes are thin tubes (clear blue) that have a screw type of end that you put in your ear. I have found them at CVS drug stores in NJ where I live. Target does not carry them. I think Walmart also carry them. Look in the part of the store that has ear plugs, wax removal, etc. They are in a small box and are marked children or adult. I have used them for my kids when they were as young as 1 1/2. <BR> <BR>I put them in when we first get on the plane and let them take them out once altitude is reached. I again have them put them in 1 hr before landing. <BR> <BR>My daughter had started refusing to fly because of ear pain and once I started using these I haven't had any complaints. My kids now ask for them as soon as we get on a plane. <BR> <BR>I did a search on Yahoo and came up with this. <BR>http://shop.store.yahoo.com/familyon...neschild1.html <BR> <BR>This is the complete list that came up on yahoo on the search <BR>http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=...anes&hc=0&hs=0 <BR> <BR>Good luck

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:56 AM
jo

ear planes manufacturer website <BR> <BR>This website shows what the boxes look like and you can order it direct from them. <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:00 PM
jo

sorry I forgot to put the address <BR> <BR>www.cirrushealthcare.com/earplanes.htm

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 12:19 AM
Bjorn Alvik

I never heard about ear planes either. I have a good advice, though, taught to me by a Danish guy decades ago. For me it works perfect: <BR>1) When plane climbs, swallow or chew much and often, or use chewing gum <BR>2) When plane goes down, take a good breath, then close your mouth and nose (squeze your nose with your fingers), and then make hard outward breaths until you feel a pressure relieve in your ears. Repeat often. <BR> <BR>I wish you a good flight! <BR>Bjorn, Oslo

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Topdude

To da top

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Sue

I think you might want to quiz a doctor or an ENT (Ear-Nose-Throat) on the subject of 'Ear Planes.' <BR> <BR>I'm neither, but I have a graduate degree in pharmacology. I looked at these things and regretfully must give my opinion that if they 'work' it is because of the 'placebo' value, coincidence, or both. Maybe someone with a medical degree can check my reasoning below and correct it if necessary. <BR> <BR>The cause of ear pain is due to the failure of the Eustachian tube to widen sufficiently quickly and/or sufficiently wide enough as the aircraft ascends, when cabin pressure drops; or, conversely, the failure of the tube to narrow upon descent, when cabin pressure rises.This tube is located behind the eardrum in the middle ear; if it doesn't do it's job on ascent, the pressure of the air trapped inside the tube stays higher than the pressure of the air in the cabin, thus it exerts pressure on the eardrum,causing pain. On descent, the pressure of cabin air is higher than the pressure of the air in the tube, thus, the cabin air pressure exerts a positive force upon the eardrum, likewise causing pain. You can't 'block off' the pressure of cabin air using something like ear planes, since the seal isn't perfect. <BR> <BR>Normally, the Eustachian tube widens and narrows to ensure that the pressure of air in the middle ear equilibrates with cabin air. As the tube widens or narrows, the ear drum deflects - that's the popping sound you hear. <BR> <BR>Anatomical variations in the curvature of the E. tube may be one reason why some people, particularly kids are more affected by cabin air pressure changes than others; so does congestion in the middle ear caused by a cold, etc. Keeping well hydrated, applying nasal moisture spray (e.g. Rhinaris) or nasal decongestant (e.g. Dristan) spray can help. <BR> <BR>'Ear Planes' are supposed to be worn in the external ear. Yes, the pressure changes cause that little stub of cotton to move up and down the plastic channel in the device, but this does not translate into helping your middle ear acclimatize to any changes in cabin air pressure. Sorry for the long and rather technical explanation, but figure I needed to explain my objection to spending money on these things. By the way, I have a strong interest in the subject, since I know what it is like to experience a ruptured ear drum during a flight.