Search

Backpacks in Britain

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backpacks in Britain

Hi:
I will be in England & Scotland next June. My friend that is going w/ me plans to carry a backpack as we tour, with clothes, camera, etc. What are restrictions(if there are any) having to do with backpacks. Because in the U.S. since Sept. 11th, everyone knows how they don't allow you in certain conventions.

Thanks,
Devon
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I can't think of any restrictions.

Some public places make you leave large bags in cloakrooms, and some X-ray them, but there's nothing specific to backpacks that I can think of.

Are you talking about what I would call a day bag? or a rucksack?
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Ummm... I'm not sure, not a rucksack. What do you call a daybag? Backpacks are what we use for school or if you were to go hiking but not nearly as big the school size.

Thanks
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 10:58 AM

I think Sheila was asking if you are going to use a full size hiking backpack, or a smaller one. A 'day pack' or 'day bag' is smaller than a backpack you'd use for school, and considerably smaller than a full-size hiking backpack. It's big enough to carry some essentials, such as a camera, some maps, a few bottles of water, a small souvenir or two....that kind of thing.

No restrictions that I know of, especially for day packs.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 03:41 AM

Although I think it's worth mentioning that, particularly in busy cramped London I wouldn't regard a backpack as the most convenient or safe method of carrying belongings. They get in the way of other tourists and commuters (they make you take them off in Harrods), but more importantly they are a much easier target for pickpockets than a shoulder bag - jammed in a packed tube train, you wouldn't notice if someine was sliiping their hand in your bag.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:30 AM

I agree with Kate. They do not allow backpacks, even small day packs, in Harrod's. That is the only place we ran into a problem. But on the tube they are a nuisance and more than once I got whacked in the back or head when a backpacker turned around. I guess it's hard to remember that you are 'stickingout' at the back....and it's easy to hit people.