Backpacks/camera bags and Paris museums

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Paris in May and thinking about how I will carry my camera equipment. I read that the Louvre will not allow backpacks in the museum. I assume this the policy at most other Paris museums such as the Orsay as well. How about at Notre Dame and St. Chapelle? I want to carry my DLSR camera, with an extra lens, and find either a small backpack, or a largish waist pack most comfortable for that purpose. Would a fanny pack be allowed, where a backpack is not? Are even small backpacks the size of a largish purse not allowed? I would not be comfortable checking my expensive equipment at the coat check of the museum, but have often stashed it in a locker if available. Are these available at the museums? Of course, I can leave the camera at the hotel when going to the museum, but would love to have it along for the day.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nancy - there is a big luggage deposit in the basement, though irritatingly the cloakroom is separate. I'm not sure they are lockers as such, but I have never heard of anything going missing.

I was allowed to carry my medium sized handbag around with no problem.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM

nancy, I use a messenger style camera bag for exactly that reason. We were allowed to carry cameras in the Louvre and photos are allowed. Musee d'Orsay doesn't allow any photography, so they may not let you carry it at all (I don't remember). Also, many places will allow you to take photographs, but not use a tripod - that needs a special permit. Specifically, I'm thinking of atop the Arc de Triomphe. I wanted to take long exposures of the traffic down the Champs Elysees and I wasn't allowed to use a tripod.

I have one from this company and love it!
http://courierbags.com/
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 12:39 PM

Backpacks are allowed in churches. I think I took a backpack into Ste-Chappelle. When inside sights I suggest you carry the backpack in front of you or hold it by your side so as not to bump into other people or objects.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM

Because Ste Chapelle shares an entrance with the courts of justice, there will be a long line and anything you carry in will be examined carefully, really just like at the airport.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 12:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ackislander - i was a bit confused at St. Chapelle.

there were two lines outside - the St. Chapelle and the Law courts, which had separate entrances and security checks, but the same exit into the palais du justice [which is currently a building site with NO signs to St. Chapelle, BTW] .

they didn't seem to be any more careful than anywhere else.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 02:01 PM

I think there is a separate line for Ste Chapelle--not through the courts building. It is sort of around the corner.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM

There's one entrance to the Palais du Justice and Ste-Chappelle where you go through a security scanner. Then there's a separate entrance for Ste-Chappelle once you enter the courtyard; you go toward the right. This is where you buy your ticket and enter the building. If you're confused just look up and you'll spot the church above the other buildings.

The security check is nothing like at an airport. The line is much shorter and no questions are asked and no need for any identification. You don't have to take off your shoes, belts, scarves, etc. No one will poke their fingers into your hair or other places on your body. You are allowed to bring in water.

BTW - you have to have your bags scanned at the Jewish Museum also.