Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

backpacking western europe--itinerary help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!,
I am going to Europe for my first time this summer (20 May to 22 June) and will be traveling solo (I'm an 18 year old female). My plan so far is to fly into Barcelona and stay for 5 days or so, then head to the south of France, go through Switzerland to Munich, then up to Essen/Cologne/Bonn??, Amsterdam, Brussels and Bruges, and then Paris (I fly out of Paris).
I don't think I'm going to be in Provence at the right time to see the lavender bloom, but what are the most beautiful spots in southern France? Also, what is a good city/town to visit near the border of Spain and France? I really want to see Conques (I don't know how to get here!) and other medieval villages, and the Cote d'Azur (where should I go?).
I also don't know what cities to visit in Germany other than Munich. I think I want to see the cathedral at Cologne, but what are the best cathedrals/castles to visit, preferably along the Rhine?
I don't plan on staying in Amsterdam for more than 1 or 2 days and I'd like to be in Paris by the 17th of June...
I would really like some suggestions of what to see because I'm extremely overwhelmed right now and I know this quarter is going to go by quite fast.

Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bringing this to the top in hopes of catching some eyes.

FWIW, I think your wish list between Barcelona and Paris is a little long. "Go through Switzerland..." Does that mean a direct transit through the country and no exploring? Brussels AND Bruges?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.lonelyplanet.com go to The Thorn Tree forum for Western Europe
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM

That is really quite a lot to plan in only a couple months. I don't know Germany or Switzerland that well so won't recommend thing's there, except I think you would enjoy Dresden or Berlin, if those fit in to your routes. Both are fantastic cities.

As for France, the lavender could be in bloom at the end of June. I don't think so much at the beginning. The most likely town I can think of near the Spanish border would be Perpignan. I really liked Narbonne which is a bit farther and very pretty, and I also highly recommend Montpellier which is farther east. It's a very fun, likely town with a lot of students and also very attractive. In fact, you can get from Barcelona to Montpellier easily in one day by train, no need to stop close to the border if you don't want. It's only about 5-6 hours all the way to Montpellier.

I don't know how it works for the rest of your trip, but you could take the train along the coast all the way to Nice, which is also a very beautiful city and a lot of fun -- and see the coast from the train on that run.

It sounds like you aren't going to have a car, so seeing the most beautiful parts of Provence isn't that easy without a car, nor perched villages. There are medieval towns/cities enough to fall over, though, and lots of beautiful things to see, in general.

I think Conques is not a good prospect on your trip. It's NE of Albi somewhere, but I don't think even has a train station and that's kind of out of your way and you don't have enough time to be wandering around rural France much. there is probably a bus from Rodez and/or Puy-en-Velay. There are lots of Medieval places in France you can visit.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

@Jean, no I'll be staying in Switzerland for a few days (I don't really know what to do other than go to the Cabaret Voltaire since everything is expensive). and should i pick one or the other in Belgium?
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You've got 4 weeks, and you've mentioned 11 places in 6 countries. Something's gotta give.

You need to think about (and research?) why you want to go to some of these places. There are no "wrong" destinations, but you need to have a reason why YOU want to go there and what YOU want to see/do. You also need to figure out how you're going to get everywhere and decide how much time you want to spend riding on trains and buses. A rail pass may make sense, but you should compare the cost of all the point-to-point tickets with the cost of a pass. If your budget is tight, you should have lodging reservations in the larger cities.
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Just to let you know you can save some time by flying direct from Barcelona to Nice france on Vuehling right now for approx 50 Euros one-way. You must book that by the 22nd of april though. I'm actually going the reverse from Nice-Barcelona on this same flight at th end of June. You can see alot in a short amount of time while in Nice. Good luck and have fun.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM

Excited for you- did the same thing alone at 22 - very brave but will open you up to meeting so many people and not staying in a little bubble with travelmates.

In Switzerland i'd recommend Gimmelwald and Lauterbrunnen - there are some lovely cheap hostels there and I still think that's the prettiest place in the world.

Skip Brussels this trip. Bruges is wonderful though.

Julie