Backpacking Europe

Old May 29th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backpacking Europe

MY friend and I are planning a backpacking trip to Europe next summer and we were wondering if any one had any tips like how much it costs and where to go
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Figure $100 day, not including train tickets and airplane tickets.

Europe is huge. Get a good guide book (like Rough Guide or Let's Go Europe) and draw up a plan of what you want to see and do.

Good luck!
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:39 PM

Terpsdiva, where to go? That would vary so much based on your interests, age, gender (assuming you might both be women because of the "diva" in your name??), budget (in relative terms), and how long the trip would be, etc.

"Europe" is huge and each country (as I'm sure you probably know) has its own distinct culture and topography and food and personality and types of things to do. When I was in my mid 20's my husband and I did a 3.5 week tour starting in Paris, training down through Switzerland, into Italy, ending in Rome. We were in some cities for only a day or 2, and in larger cities like Paris and Florence for 6 days each. I was glad I covered that kind of distance when I was young as I'd never do it again. (I'm only 33 now but I have a baby and my travel budget has increased.) We did see the "highlights" and have returned to many of our favorite cities again and again.

tell us a bit about yourself and your hopes for the trip... I think that you might get more advice if you do that.

~k
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:22 PM

You might want to check the Lonely Planet web site. They have a lot of backpackers there so you might get more advice.

We do camp in France and the campsites are wonderful. People are very friendly in campgrounds and everything is so clean. BTW, most French campgrounds have a decent restaurant. That could be important if you're on foot!

There is a book called "Camping and Caravaning in France" that lists most of the campgrounds, gives prices, locations and amenities. I suspect the other countries have a similar book. It might be worth it to get a few of these.

You and your friend ought to EACH make a list of things you want to see. Then get together and compare lists. You will each have to give up a few things, but you will discover a lot of common interests that fit into an itinerary.

Have a great time!
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:23 PM

..agree would like some more info in order to put in my 2 cents worth..BUT if you go to the eastern europe, the balkans, or the baltics would be much cheaper and much more challenging perhaps (?more of a traveller than a tourist..this statement doesnt include Prague)...you might find the lonely planet board helpful re backpacking esp off the beatentrack...
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
that's www.lonelyplanet.com then go to The Thorn Tree bulletin board, Western European branch. incredible resource for backpack-style travel. Read before you post, then maybe you can ask a more specific question.

Also guidebooks like Let's Go, Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, even Rick Steve's "Europe thru the Backdoor" would give you a place to start your research.

It's impossible to say budget without knowing which countries you want to visit, how much you plan to move around (train fare can be a major expense) and the kind of places you plan to stay at night. Youth hostels and campgrounds being the cheapest options, followed by B&B's, pensiones, or small local 1- or 2- star hotels.