Backpack or what?

Jan 30th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Ieda

Backpack or what?

Which kind of baggage is better to a peregrination in Italy (Rome, Florence, Venecia and Milan)?

Jan 30th, 2001, 01:19 PM
janice

I have a backpack from Eastpak which has normal backpack straps, a top handle, a side handle, and wheels. (all it needs is wings) I can pack for 2 weeks in a backpack, and I dearly love this thing. It's very consoling in the pre-dawn darkness in high water in Venice to be able to strap on all of your stuff and go - people dependent on wheels were stuck.

Jan 31st, 2001, 04:16 AM
Dave

I too have a convertible pack with the zipaway backpack straps. It also has a zip-off daypack and is expandable. Mine is a Kelty Pangaea, but there are quite a few varieties - look for "conversion packs" or "travel packs".

If you keep an eye on the online sporting goods suppliers (like www.rei.com, www.campmor.com in the US) you can probably find a decent brand name for under $100US.

Jan 31st, 2001, 11:11 AM
Kathy

I just bought one of these at www.sierratradingpost.com for $80. It arrived yesterday and seems to be well made and very user-friendly.

Jan 31st, 2001, 12:38 PM
Thyra

I have the same style of Pack as Janice described but mine is Eagle Creek. Great invention! But a little too big for carry on. 99 % of the time I used the wheels, but especially in Venice those straps came in really handy. I paid $120.00 at a Rand McNally store that pack is *knock on wood*** seemingly indestructable.

Jan 31st, 2001, 03:08 PM
Mariarosa

Thyra,
Where did you buy the Eagle Creek rolling backpack? That's a great deal...please tell me more about it!

Jan 31st, 2001, 03:32 PM
rand

Rick hmmmm website offers an eagle creek backpack/suitcase without wheels that is only 20" long and therefore is legal carry-on size. We bought a pair last year and were very happy with them. Top quality design and materials. The wide padded hip (belt/strap?) that distributes the load between shoulders and hips enabled Dor to carry her own luggage with ease up long flights of stairs.

Jan 31st, 2001, 03:36 PM
Thyra

Mariarosa, I bought mine at that Rand McNally Travel store at the Century City Shopping mall in Santa Monica, they were having a sale and I think the regular price was between $160.0 and $180.0 They have several versions of this bag, some have a little extra pouch that you can add on, but I didn't get that, however mine does expand about 2 inches all around the edges. And it has inline skate wheels that can handle quite a lot. I will go home and try to find the model for you.

Jan 31st, 2001, 06:19 PM
lydia

I have not l eft on my trip yet, but did buy a pack on e bay. It is 5400 cubic inches. It arrived the other day and it is a very nice pack. Lots of space, but not to big, and I am a shorty at only 5' tall. I did take the metal stays out of the back because they were uncomfortable. I just hope that will be OK. I am leaving for Europe in March, so I will see how the whole thing works out. Good luck to you & check e bay. I have seen loads of backpacks there, even Kelty. Go to 'backpack'