Venice Carry-Out Picnics

Jan 30th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Carol

Venice Carry-Out Picnics

I will be visiting Venice in mid-March. Can anyone recommend eateries that have good carry-out food for lunch or supper picnics?

Jan 30th, 2001, 03:21 PM
clo

Picnic is prohibited almost everywhere in Venice. And the prohibition enforced. Venice is a very expensive city particularly unfriendly to "budget solution". Good Luck!

Jan 30th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Thyra

Carol, you can get take away food at a variety of sidewalk cafes etc. I think Clo is referring to St. Mark's Sq where there is ample seating but all set aside for restaurants and of course they don't want you sitting down and having someone elses food there. If you go to St. Marks Sq, and towards the water then walk left (if you are facing the water, sorry I don't know if it's north south etc, husband is the one with the great sense of direction) you will eventually get to a park that has a children's playground and tables and trashcans etc. My husband and I grabbed take away food and stayed a a hotel for under $100.00 per night on St. Marks Sq.. (no canal view and tiny room, no elevator, but clean and neat and great if you are on a budget) we ate a lot of gelato and pizza margharita's to go! So really Venice doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg if you plan a little.

Jan 30th, 2001, 04:10 PM
SharonM

I honestly don't know, Carol.
You might check with the tourist bureau or your hotel concierge/manager?

Personally, I would just go to a local market and stock up on groceries...cheese, ollives, wine, whatever and go from there!

Either way, have fun!

Jan 31st, 2001, 08:29 AM
Carol

Thanks for the helpful info!

Jan 31st, 2001, 01:18 PM
wendy

Ask your concierge to call 'Al Covo'...I'm sure they can arrange something. They do cooking/tasting demos and have a small 'gorcery' store of regional products. THey are also listed in Fodors...

Jan 31st, 2001, 06:42 PM
Sally

We like to get food from the open air market at Campo Maria Formosa and eat there sitting on a bench watching the children use scooters and play soccer.