Back in Madrid-the end of the road

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am now back in Madrid in my hotel room getting ready to go home. It feels like so long ago, I was in Madrid but it was only a week. It has definitely gotten more crowded with the holidays. You can't go anywhere without wall to wall people. Am glad I'm getting out now. Plaza Mayor hotel is okay for a night but I have a room overlook the plaza and it's noisy as hell. Plus there are more and more Americans here now the second language I hear is English.

Was sad to check out of Hotel Amadeus, I spent a little money on a superior double but the Rostropovich suite was superb-off the main hotel in the back and recently remodeled. The bed was so soft which is probably why I overslept and had to pack and shower in a hurry. Checked out and they called a cab for me and I got to Santa Justa with time to spare. So I searched for a breakfast spot and got my cafe con leche, croissant and zumo-which I guess is orange juice?

Train ride was packed-naturally but the AVE was smooth and quiet and I fell asleep until Madrid.Decided to walk to hotel and forgot that hotel was uphill-gasp. But what a beautiful day after a rainy Seville morning. Sunny and warm though the Madrid women still wear their leather jackets tights and boots. Meanwhile I'm in my skirt and bare legs. Shopped at El Cortes Ingles for some souvenirs-bought some tiny olive oil for the folks and a fan for my niece. They say it was made with Spanish wood but I have my doubts it's made in Spain for 12 Euros. But my niece won't know the difference.

After some lunch at San Miguel Market-more crowds and a lunch of paella, olives and sangria(that was the best sangria I've tasted!), I decided to go to the Parque del Oeste and ride the Teleferico-the cable car. Had to take the Metro but the park is beautiful-a bit like Central Park with high-end apartment buildings on each end. Saw some nice vistas of the Palacio Real and walked to the lookout point. I then found the cable car entrance and for 5.50 round trip took my ride. It was a fun way to end my stay-thought people afraid of heights might shy away. As I was the only one in the car, I did wonder at one point how many people they lose in Teleferico accidents each year. As I bob and swayed going over the park, I had a great time filming everything-so much so that when I got off-the attendants all rolled their eyes after I told them it's a great ride. Hey, it doesn't take much to make me happy. After looking around a bit on the other side of the park, I rode the cable car back with great views of the city. If you've done everything else in Madrid and want some place with a little green space I highly recommend doing this. It's pretty fun.

Now I'm going out to dinner and then coming back to go back home early tomorrow morning. I hope this report has been somewhat informative and I've had fun writing for the past two weeks. I will be back tomorrow with my final thoughts-other than I need some more time to go visit places.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:46 AM

A rec for dinner?
Emma + cocina on Plaza de San Miguel 4, close to the Mercado.
http://www.emmacocina.com/restaurante.html
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Just an update as it seems I can't get out if this country! Had a few tapas and wine last night then walked around Madrid until 11pm. Woke up and checked my flight to LHR and discovered it is delayed because of French air traffic strike. This is getting ridiculous. Don't know whether to laugh or cry especially since this means I'll miss my connecting flight. I have work tomoroow and I wanted to get home at a decent hour. I admit defeat now- I think this is even worse than the Griswalds European adventure. Just get me home.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:20 AM

These delays can clear up at any moment so I'm hoping for the best. I'd still get myself to the airport at ticketed time.. you never know.

Once a close friend was given contrary info.. that an incoming flight hadn't even LEFT yet from origin.. so she took off for an hour. Low and behold.. it HAD landed and the person she was picking up had been there waiting all that time.

I don't trust online info anymore nor some airport desk people.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks lincs-well everything turned out for the best-British Airways did a fantastic job of getting us to London in just over 2 hours and was able to make my connection with a half hour to spare. Plus they didn't lose my luggage - so cheers to them.

I am home and going straight back to work today but will write up my final thoughts soon. Already I wish I was back on the plane and hearing English all around is still strange.I'll really miss my cafe con leche as we don't really have any good Spanish restaurants around here.

Told my parents last night the best of both worlds would be to live in London and visit all the European countries on hoilday! Perhaps when I win the lottery.

Thanks for all your help lincs-Next time I will visit the northern part of Spain.