Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Oprah was Right! Hurricane Ike and the Freakin Air France Flight…

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oprah (I am not a fan) always says that when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up…pay attention! Obviously I didn’t listen. After a tumultuous year and stressful job situation, I needed to get away. I was determined that nothing was going to stop me, not even Hurricane Ike.

Yawl I promise I will try and keep it short, but what is a person to do when it became a daily chore not to break down for six days?

I’ll start with a little background. As you will remember, I planned on taking a 3-city tour of London, Paris and Rome with my elderly travel buddy in September 2008. Two months before the travel date, Air France cancelled one of our flights (they took a plane out of rotation for mechanical reasons!) and rescheduled. They also gave us the option of backing out and my BFF took the low road and back out (she redeemed herself beautifully later on).

I was determined to go and thanks to the advice and encouragement from the mighty Fodorites, I forged ahead.

I will break this down in separate emails until someone yells stop!

Here we go!

Thursday, 09/11/2008 12:00 p.m. – Hurricane Ike is vastly approaching and is expected to make landfall by Saturday evening. We Houstonians expected the worse, but just like Katrina, we expected Ike to turn towards the East as well. I wasn’t too worried about my flight because it left on Friday at 4 p.m. Just to be sure though, I check for emails from Expedia (the Devil) and Air France (Beelzebub) website…no problem…yeah! At 4:00 p.m., Thursday, received an email from the Devil saying that Beelzebub had cancelled my flight for Friday leaving out of Houston, but the rest of my flight to London was available (stopover in Paris then on to London) if I could get to Paris for 8:25 a.m. Saturday morning….hmmmm.

Thursday 09/11/2008, 4:05 p.m. – Called the Devil and Beelzebub several times throughout the rest of the day. They hung up on me (sorry ma’am we must have gotten disconnected) 5 times and Beelzebub didn’t even flinch; they let you know they will hang up on you if you are stupid enough to wait for 30 minutes. Finally 6 hours later. I finally talked to a supervisor who told me to show up at the airport on Friday and hopefully I will get a ticket to fly out (to an insane person [me] this made sense).

Friday, 09/12/2008) 7:00 a.m. – Okay, I’m here, Beelzebub’s counter is vacant, but I’m determined to wait it out. 8:00 a.m. still no show. 9:00… nope… 10:00… WTH!? 12:00…WTF!!! By this time, I was livid. Punk a$$ Beelzebub didn’t even bother to show up at all (no signage to indicate a no show was placed either) and to make matters worse; they were closing the airport at 2:00. Now other flights were leaving out, so I decided to do a little haggling because I knew there was a flight leaving Dallas at 4:00 p.m. going to Paris (the devil told me so), so I figured if I could just get to Dallas, I would be okay. Are yawl checking for the crazy here?

take a break..will be back in a minute.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM

Ok, don't leave us hanging! Please continue...
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM

Jesus Mary and Joseph, Air France sucks out loud, as usual....

I feel your pain sister! More pain please...
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:14 PM

Oh, come on, get back here!!!
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

sorry, for the late follow-up. some in houston still have limited power...but here goes....

Are yawl checking for the crazy here?......

Finally, I buy a continental ticket (refundable) to Dallas. Called the Devil to verify that there is a 4 p.m. flight out of Dallas….”no ma’am I don’t see a flight leaving out of Dallas at 4:00p (of course you don’t). I see one leaving at 1:19p, but it goes to Atlanta, then to Paris and then to London”!

I would have to take 5 planes just to get to London (the first leg of my trip). Thank goodness my daughter was checking for the crazy and I returned my refundable ticket for a full refund and she drove me home in her certifiable twinkie mobile.

Friday Night…Ike says Howdy! No lights, no air, no water in some areas (some to this day are still out). The entire city is devastated. I on the other hand, the heat mixed with the insane idea that I needed to get away, hammered away at getting a flight. Now knowing I could not get to London, I concentrated on Paris and Rome.

To make matters worse…even if I did get to London, there was a fire in the Chunnel from London to Paris and Eurostar cancelled my ticket to Paris from London on the 16th of September. So if I would have made it to London (by some small miracle), I would have had to try and make it to Paris by another mode of transportation entirely.

Saturday morning…spoke to the Devil (Expedia): Yes ma’am we have booked you a flight for Monday 4:05 p.m., 09/15 leaving IAH arriving CDG at yada yada yada.

I’m over the moon. I got a flight and after making sure my family was safe (and by this time, they were ready to propel me in a slingshot just to get me out of here.. yeah I was that annoying and irritated) I finally leave for the airport on Monday. I get there at 12:00 because I knew the lines were going to be long. Finally after being in line for an hour, I get up to the counter and hand over my passport and emailed agenda from the Devil….

CANCELLED. I'm certifiable by now!

I argued with the woman as nicely as I could and told her my circumstances and she told me, yeah, I get it, you’re not the only one, but your flight is still cancelled. She said the flight was oversold/overbooked. Please step aside…..What kind of damn Tom Foolery is this!

In tears, I finally go over to the airport phones and of course I can’t get through to the Devil or Beelzebub. I finally pay to use the internet and low and behold!
Sunday night…The Devil sends an email to a customer in a hurricane stricken city with no electricity stating that… “Your flight has been cancelled, please call Expedia immediately”!!! aaaaaaaaggghhhh!

The bad thing was that I called (stayed on hold forever) on Sunday night and Monday morning and they said the flight was still on (obviously not for me).

I finally give up, I call my kids, one by one and no one answers the phone. I finally sat on the curb outside of the passenger drop off and just start balling! I finally pull myself together and decide to just take a cab home and something told me to just go up to the counter and see if there might be other options. I get there and thankfully she tried to help me this time. She told me that I could go standby.

This was insane to me, but hopeful. She gave me a temporary boarding pass and told me to come back around 3:15. She also said that it looked like there might be seats available, but didn’t want to get my hopes up. So me and Stephen King planted ourselves in line for about an hour and a half.

3:15 came and went and a whole lot of people were getting upset and in a long long long line, but guess what…I was number 2 and couldn’t be worried about them (see that’s why I don’t have any luck).

Finally at 3:20, she called me up and told me they had a seat (they actually had 56 total). I asked for a window seat (hey couldn’t hurt) and what came next amazed even me! I got the exact same freakin seat that I was originally scheduled for; on the original flight that was cancelled three times by Beelzebub!!!!

Okay, calm down, you are finally on the plane…its okay. Couldn’t really calm my nerves, so I watched a few movies. Still couldn’t relax enough to sleep to I took a sleeping pill. 2 hours later, the lights come on. WTH? I asked the stewardess what was going on and she said “oh, we are landing in one hour”. Sleep deprived, medicated and stressed out…Welcome to Paris!

be back in a minute for real!

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Continued....

Got to the center of Paris fine. It’s extremely cold and of course I left my sweater at home. Its okay, I’m determined. I bought another sweater and proceeded on to Hotel Dieu…love it, love it, love it! By this time, the sleep was getting to me and when I finally got in my room, I fell into a semi-coma. Woke up three hours later…stomach not feeling right (I knew the stress would eventually get to me). So for the next 8 hours, me and the porcelain goddess were the best of friends! Didn’t see much of Paris that day.

Of note: Hotel Dieu was awesome and the rooms were huge even by Parisian standards, but I’m not sure the rate was justifiable. I’m pretty sure it’s because you are really centrally located to everything. I know I could have found cheaper, but nevertheless, I was impressed.

The next morning I felt better and Paris was wonderful as usual. The major site I wanted to see was La Defense (3rd time in Paris, first time in this area). The shopping was fantastic and they have an Auchuan’s in Paris…wow! The rest of the trip was uneventful even the stomach bug didn’t bother me as much. I proceeded on to see the Paris I didn’t get a chance to see the first two times I visited.

I ate at Breakfast in America (?) Restaurant in Paris. Even though they advertised that they sold American/Southern style breakfast, the food was so-so. But I guess by Parisian standards, this was a “big breakfast”. Though the restaurant was a bit hard to find (geographically challenged me), it was good to have someone to speak English with. I stayed longer than usual.

Rue Cler: Not impressed at all. I thought the flea market around St. Michel’s was better. I did pick up fruit, cheese and shrimp for a fantastic meal back in my room.

Air France Office: After leaving Rue Cler I stop at the Air France office to check to make sure I had a ticket to get out of Rome. Of course we have your ticket right here ma’am. You have a flight leaving out of Rome at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, September 22, 2008 departing for Houston. Yawl, I know some of this happening to me is my own fault, but dang it….can just somebody I’m paying get something right? I get to the Hotel (way after Air France office closing time) look at the ticket and it’s the original ticket that Air France cancelled two months before my original departure date (the one they took out for mechanical problems!). I can’t win….

SCAM:

Walking from Rue Cler just past the Alexander III bridge…I swear …I know I had heard about it, but I never thought it would happen to me. I get halfway past the bridge and this lady rushes up to me in a panic…Madame, you lost your ring! Holy Sh$t Batman…here it is as I live and breath, the freakin gold ring scam!

They are smooth, I never saw them throw the ring down, I didn’t even see her or the ring until she caught my attention! After looking at her for what seemed like a mere minute…I proceeded to laugh uncontrollably (are you kidding me…are you freaking kidding me?). I laughed so hard and she truly she seemed upset that I didn’t want "my" ring.

She goes madame this is your ring I saw it drop in front of you. I was still laughing thinking about all this crap that I have gone through just to get here, do you really think I’m going to come here and fall for a gold ring scam. Finally, I got her to leave me alone when I told her that I was allergic to gold so it could not have been my ring (I truly am).

I walked all the way back to Hotel Dieu and I felt really good about the day! Trust me, it was short-lived.

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Continued....

Friday, September 19, 2008.

ROME, ITALY

I will keep Rome short, because I am not sure how I feel about it. I did the usual tours, but was amazed at the condition of some of the historical sites.

Vueling Airlines. Of all the major airlines I had to deal with that failed me, this little old airline rose to the challenge. The check-in was awesome. One thing! You had to buy your food on board. I would have been upset; if the food hadn’t been so tasty (though I could have just been hungry). But I guess for budget airlines...buying the food is expected.

Anyhow arrived on time in Rome. Rome Limousine Shuttle was there on arrival and picked me up. It was cold and raining, but it was okay.

Now to take you back a bit lodging-wise. I was switched to three different locations with this bed and breakfast company in Rome. Residenza San Panteleo/Piazza Navona First; 2 of the switches occurred within 11 days of my arrival date. The last location I had was an apartment that the owner had gotten for me 3 days before my trip to Europe.

I finally land in Rome and get to the address (after emailing them what time I would there) and as a true testament to the way my travel plans had been going, no one was there to greet me….imagine that?

Also, the place was near a graffiti-lined alley with an overflowing trash dumpster full of God knows what. All I needed was a cat to meow in the background and it would have been a twilight zone movie scene.

I was not liking the place at all. After calling Luigi (yeah that’s his name), he finally comes over and tells me that I am in the wrong location!!!!! He walks me over to my new location…..guess what, it’s the 2nd location he moved me to back in July. “We found you a place...trust me, you’ll like it". Can’t complain, it was better than the first one.

Of Note: I was confirmed for 70 Euro per night, but he switched to 95 Euros per night because he said the clerk (who suspiciously no longer works there) made a mistake. Even thought I have email confirmation of the 70 Euros per night. Still fighting. If by chance, I get to go to Rome again, I will not be using this service.

After getting checked in, I finally calmed down a little….just a little…but my stomach had other plans. It settled down just a little so I could go out and wonder (not too far, my porcelain goddess is jealous and wants me near).

Finally had so so Pizza and worse gelato and a coke. Stomach-wise, I knew, I was asking for it. Good night Irene!

Well as usual, felt better the next morning and did the HO HO tour.

Since my room was centrally located (Campo di Fiorini and Piazza Navona) and I basically could walk everywhere and I was grateful for that. The Ho Ho tour was okay, but it was a waste of money, as I said, I was in walking distance to pretty much everything!

Did get a chance to check with the Devil and Beelzebub regarding the flight home. I knew I didn’t have a 1:00 flight leaving for Houston on Monday, but I checked to see if I had a 7:20 a.m. flight…..! Of course not on this Earth, but maybe in another galaxy!

So Beelzebub and the Devil worked to get me on the 7:20 a.m. flight back to Houston.

SCAM

Oh, I did the bus 64 bus in Rome! I am a natural bus rider, so I do have to keep my guard up even in Houston, but my God, I don’t mean to be stereotypical, I did notice the gypsies at the bus stop and they eventually got on the bus. They had the babies (cute and cuddly) perched in front with the blankets draped over the back of the baby carrier.

Please God, I am not trying to be mean, but these two smelled! I swear they did. I checked my B/O meter and it wasn’t me. I noticed that one got on in the front of the bus and the other got on in the back.

The most wonderful thing is that apparently everybody was aware of the gypsies. There were three elderly couples that got on at the next stop (obviously travelers). The minute these couples got on and saw these ladies they were diligent…awesome! The wives immediately faced their husbands, put their hands in their husband’s pockets and the husbands put their hands around their wives purses (love it).

All three wives stared the women down to the point where they moved to a different location on the bus….guess where….you got it.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and it was a gentleman alerting me to the gypsies and to watch my purse. He needn’t worry, I was not only watching the gypsies, I was watching him too. Unsucessful, they got off at the next stop.

Ahh, so much for that, I knew I had to get up the next morning early so I made it an early night.

I took a taxi back to the airport (don’t ask) and got there just in time. I had a short layover in Paris and as you would know, Air France was 45 minutes late on arrival in Paris, which made me late for my connection for Paris to Houston late.

I thought I was going to miss my flight, but they held it as there were several people from different flights running (yes running) for that particular connection.

I even asked Air France about this short connection time when they booked me and she told me that “oh yes, you will make it, you will arrive in 2E and the connection is just next door in 2F (deer in the headlight look if you will).

Of note, if you notice, I tell you everything in Paris and Rome was in walking distance. I have to attribute my lack of walking fatigue and foot comfort to my wonderful Merrell (Vibrams) tennis shoes. I felt like I was walking on a thickly cushioned bed. They felt wonderful!

Well I think that’s about all I can remember. I don’t want to get too stressed out (you know how my stomach is), but my heart goes out to the Hurricane Ike victims and their family.

Considering my family’s minor hurricane-related inconveniences and my travel-related troubles getting out of Houston, I know it seems minor and pales in comparison to others deeply affected by Ike.

I wish all the best.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Thoroughly enjoyable report. Having gone through Ike ourselves, can I ever relate to some of your reactions. Glad you were able to get away. Look forward to more.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:51 AM

This is good.....keep posting ( I am from Texas also!(
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 06:05 AM

It sounds like you needed another week off to recover!
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Wow, what a nightmare!! Congrats on soldiering on!

By the way, our January trip to Paris we stayed in the Marais and went to Breakfast in America twice. You're right, the food is just so-so, but some mornings you just need a cup of strong coffee. And another. And another. and at BIA refills are free Also, there was a sweet young girl and her brother running it and they were so friendly I wanted to put them in my pocket and take them home and mother them.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

MelJ you are so right about BIA. I think we are talking about the same young lady. She is extremely sweet and I had pockets. But the way my luck had been going, I wouldn't get very far with them.

I believe she said she was from Australia. I actually caught a Southern accent and she said one of her co-workers was from the South and she was afraid she was picking up her Southern vanicular from her.

Life is great when you can look back on your mis-adventures and laugh about them. Some people aren't so fortunate! so in gratitude I soldier on, because I know all to well, it could be worse!
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:52 AM

dwebb,

I love your report and sense of humor. I hope your next trip to Europe will be a lot less "exciting".
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM

What flea market at St. Michel?
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

St. Cirq:

Excuse my terminology and geographically challenged location, but I believe it might have even been in the St. Germaine area, maybe a block before the Seine, but nevertheless it was a lot of stalls with people selling their wares, fruits, vegetables and fish. In Houston that's a flea market.

It was there on Wednesday and Thursday morning.

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Cafe Goddess:

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I am already planning my next European trip with Paris as my base location. Sorry, I just love Paris.

Someone told me that Switzerland was nice, so I might look into that.

I owe London a Howdy, so I might make it London/Paris/Switzerland in 2009 (if I'm still around).

Thanks again!
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks hetismij:

As I said before, I really really needed to get away. When I came back, despite all that had transpired during my trip, I was really okay to come back to work. I flew back on Monday and came back to work on Tuesday.

So trust me, what was going on at work was much worse than my travel mishaps.

So in coming back, believe it or not, I am much calmer.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

dfr4848 and artlvr:

I hope all is well with you, your families and homes. As I said my immediate family's damage was mild compared to most.

My other family members are located throughout (Mostly 1960, Pearland and Clear Lake) and they are still without some form of convenience, but their homes were not destroyed.

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Well i am glad that in spite of everything the trip did you some good.
The Netherlands are nice too
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM

dwebb - we live inside the Loop and were very lucky. 40' tree in front yard came down but missed house entirely. My office building had some damp carpet but that's it. Building next door had roof torn off and all 10 floors had significant damage; it's now closed.

Don't blame you re Paris. Beautiful place. We were there for our daughter's 16th b'day. Miserable weather, but what memories.

London's a favorite - definitely put it back on your list. SIL lived there for years - what's not to like about a free room in Chelsea?

Went to Prague last year. A must visit if you haven't been.

We're going to Greece this Nov. Air France is currently the cheapest. Friends are suggesting other options, and your experience makes me think they may be right.

Again, welcome back and thanks for a very entertaining report.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -