Reload this Page >

Back from Rome and Italian Riviera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 05:46 PM
nancy

Just spent 2 wks in Italy. One wk in Rome, another in Genoa and Spotorno. Wow. Rome was so interesting. I am glad we went in the spring. The weather was great, the lines short. We stayed in a private apartment offered by a bed and breakfast that was full. The location was fantastic, it had a kitchen, and they put food in it for us. We walked everywhere. We did take the subway a couple of times when we were tired, that was an experience. We found a restaurant close to the Pantheon that we really liked. We loved the Villa Borghese. Nobody did statues like Bernini. We loved the Pantheon, the Piazza Navona. We needed more time to see everything. I can tell you it did cross our minds to rent a scooter, before we went. I think most people would change their minds when they are there. The Italian Riviera. Wow. Portofino was the most romantic place. Relaxing. Just different. It was like 2 different vacations. If anyone has any questions?

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 07:01 PM
andrea

sny great shopping places in portofino that you'd reccommend--also nice place for lunch-will have 1 day ther on a cruise and am not into visiting lots of churchs--like just seeing the people and interacting

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Surlok

Portofino is so tiny that it would be hardly possible to reccommend something.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 06:33 PM
xxx

We're staying in Camoglia, near Portofino. Any feedback? We hear it's a great day time hike to Portofino for lunch.

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Gail

xxx - We rode the train last year from Santa Margherita to Camogli. What a beautiful little harbor town! We were there for the unbelievable Sagra del Pesce (fish festival) - it was right out of Nat'l Geographic with the candlelit processional through the town, children singing, fireworks, etc. If you're going the 2nd weekend in May you are in for a treat!<BR><BR>We're going back in a <BR>couple of weeks, but will be staying again in S. M.. Camogli's Hotel Casmona looked like a gem, but was a little more than we wanted to pay.<BR><BR>The harbor is very colorful - a photographer's dream. Be sure and visit the church overlooking the sea - the chandeliers are wonderful.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!<BR>Gail

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 04:21 PM
nancy

Portofino is very small. You could probably eat at every restaurant in one weekend. Shopping not recommended there, unless you have money to burn. So beautiful. I did see a place where you can rent boats. Might be fun.