Back from Paris and more

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back from Paris and more

Just wanted to thank everyone here for all the wonderful tips and information I used for our three week trip. I know I cannot add any better information than the experts here provide, but if anyone has any questions about the hotels we stayed in, I'll be more than happy to give my opinions. I also wanted to pass on to those of you who have the impression that Paris is a dirty city (dog poop and people urinating in public??) that that is so far from the truth. Maybe the people who say this have never been to a big city, but I've seen more dog poop in my own city than in Paris. Anyway, back to the hotels:

In Paris- Hotel du College de France;
Avignon - Hotel de l’Horloge;
Aix-en-Provence - Hotel Caravelle;
Nice - Hotel Windsor;
Rapallo, Italy - Hotel Guilio Cesare;
Florence - Apartment Falleri;
Rome - Hotel Dorica and Hotel Italia

We had a rental car for a week which in hind-sight was more of a hinderance than anything. It was a real hassle finding our way around and through the bigger cities, like Nice, Genoa, and Florence where we finally dropped the car.
So, if anyone would like to ask any questions, I will try my best to give you my opinions. This forum is the best source for information and I've turned on many people who, like myself have become Fodor addicts. Thanks again!

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:04 AM
tod

Welcome back. Please give us a longer trip report if you get a moment. I love to hear what new finds there may be just aroung the corner!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:14 AM

HOw did you like the Hotel Windsor in Nice? I hear it's a bit quirky.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Angela,

Did you like the Hotel du College de France? (That was our second choice, but we had decided to stay in the Marais instead.)

Was it noisy at night in that neighborhood? How was the service and the price-quality ratio?

Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:57 AM

WOW! I envy you and your time and your trip.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

OK, the Hotel Windsor in Nice was not as quirky as we thought it would be. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the breakfast and pool area and the room was fairly large painted completely white. The only quirky thing was there was an old suit hanging behind glass in the wardrobes. The bathroom was very modern with nothing separating the shower from the rest of the bathroom (no shower curtain). It was also done in all white. My only minor complaint was that there was no where to set your soap or shampoo. We ate breakfast one morning at the hotel (10euro pp.) which consisted of croissant, baguette, cereal, yogurt, juice & coffee. There was free internet in the lobby. The staff was helpful for the most part except when they assured us that the Modern Art Museum was open on Monday when it wasn't. There is a pool in the courtyard (reminded me of some hotels in New Orleans) but it was rather small and mostly covered by shade. They have an agreement with the beach nearby if you are interested in sunning or swimming. The location is good, although it is about a mile (I think) to the old section of Nice. All in all, I'd say the hotel was an excellent choice for the money.
Next, the Hotel du College de France. We were expecting it to be very, very small as per what we read on this board and other resources, but our room was quite adequate. Our room faced the back of the hotel, which was actually the next street over. It was fairly cool in Paris so on two nights we never opened the windows, so it was very quiet. However, the third night we left the window open and there was some noise, but we were on the third floor so it wasn't unbearable. The staff was very helpful, even though we speak little to no French. The hotel is well situated, right off St. Germaine and within walking distance of Notre Dame and the Louvre. We would definitely stay here again. In fact, my husband who is not as much a travel fanatic as I am wants to go back to Paris in October.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Angela - Glad you had a great trip! My two friends and I are leaving for Paris in less than two weeks. Since you were just there - any good recommendations on restaurants, nightlife, bars? Thanks, Roberta
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:43 AM

thanks for the info, does the College du France have an elevator?
Can you elaborate on amenities:
hair dryer, elevator, general decor and state of repair?
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Thank you for the info, Angela. I agree with your husband: Paris is addicting!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

RobertaL--sorry, can't comment on bars or nightlife since we were in bed by 11:00 every nite too tired from sightseeing all day (drinking wine all day didn't help much either). We did find an excellent wine bar(?) called Henry IV on the Pont Neuf which someone on this board recommended. We had really good wine with a cheese sampler plate and sat for a few hours talking about how much we loved Paris. We also were directed to a really good restaurant called Louis Vins right near our hotel. There was what looked like a fairly new restaurant across the street from our hotel which was too crowed to seat us and recommended Louis Vins. I had foie gras and a baked chicken breast covered with crawfish. Most unusual but extremely tasty. I grabbed their card and they have a website -- www.fifi.fr
Elaine -- yes, the hotel does have a very tiny elevator which my husband, myself and two pieces of luggage fit into. Our room did have a hairdryer, but I had brought my own, so don't know how it worked (they're usually too weak for my course hair). I thought the hotel was very well kept up, squeaky clean, not luxurious but very "French provincial".
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:39 PM

exactly what I wanted to know, I've been looking for a great 2-star for future reference, maybe this is the one
The one I tried this past January was very disappointing--rooms were shabby, one had stench of cigarettes, etc
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Thanks Angela, such a nice straight-forward report as I like them.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Hi Angela.
Do you know if the College du France has a website?? I can't seem to find one. Thank you.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:51 PM

I have it: for future search purposes, it's the
Hotel College de France

www.hotel-collegedefrance.com
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:11 PM

Unfortunately this hotel does not have air conditioning.