Back from Italy and haven't said thanks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, we're back from Italy - absolutely loved it. I can't thank you all enough.

All of the advice and information I received from Frodors was exceptional. We stayed at the Hotel Sonya in Rome and Palazzo Starace in Sorrento. Both were perfect.

We used Rome Shuttle Limosine as suggested by Fodors to take us from Ciampino into Rome and it was great. Good driver, waiting for us when we arrived - huge car as well!

We travelled by Train from Rome to Naples and caught the train from Garibaldi to Sorrento. We visited Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello and the Naples Archaelogical Museum.

We travelled to Lecce by train from Naples. I love the south of Italy, visited Alberabelo, Otranto and spent a fair bit of time in Lecce - we stayed in the old city.

I loved the north of Italy it is absolutely beautiful. I can't say a thing bad about anything that we did.

We did come across one pick pocket in Rome at the Termini Station. Luckily my husband spotted him just as he was about to put his hand in our friend's luggage. It was really our own fault - not paying attention. My best advice to travellers about pick pockets if just to be aware that they are around and keep an eye on your luggage and handbags at all times.

thanks again everyone. I think I should start planning the next trip.

P

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip, but we want more details!

I'd love to hear more about where you ate in Sorrento. Thanks.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi Susan,

I know it sounds boring but we ate at the same place for three nights. The food was delicious. I can't remember the name, I am at work at the moment. I have a card for the restaurant at home. The waiter's name was Tony and he had worked in Australian so his English was pretty good. I will post another reply tomorrow with the Restaurant name.

We always drank Orvieto White Wine it is very good.

What other details do you want?

We took the boat to Positano and Amalfi and then bus up to Ravello. We intended to catch the bus back to Sorrento but had some difficulty because there had been a landslide that day and the road was closed between Amalfi and Positano. We then decided to catch the boat back, but it was too late and the last one had already left. The only other option was to take the bus which couldn't go around the coast road but over the mountains and back to Sorrento. We weren't disappointed though we still had some beautiful views and did go around a bit of the coast. The bit we saw was pretty steep and so I really didn't mind going over the mountains!!

P
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM

I can understand going back to the same restaurant. Since you found it good enough for all three nights, it makes me even more interested to know the name!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:29 PM
LJ

Glad you enjoyed the Hotel Sonya: was your three times in a row restaurant near there? was it Trattoria Abruzesse?
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 07:30 PM

The 3x restaurant was in Sorrento.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Hey Susan,

I've found the business card. The Restaurant is called "Taverna dell'800"
Via Dell'Accademia, 29.

It's a great little restaurant,inside there is a bar and two cosy restauant style rooms. Outside they have tables etc if you want to just watch the crowds go by. The food was very good, we had fish, veal and I think one night just pizza, but it was very nice.

After dinner each night we just wandered up and down the little streets nearby looking in the shops etc. The second night we were there it was the feast day of the "Madona Morta" (I think, my limited Italian let me down a bit) there was a huge procession which went down the main street and loads of people and brass band, whilst the statue of the Madona was carried and then the procession wound its way around the little streets where we had been walking. It was a very beautiful thing to witness.

Another great little shop we found was called Vizzifiz or something similar. We bought some delicious Lemonchello (can't spell it either) there.

P
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the info, Patricia, including the shop for Limoncello, which is my favorite thing!