Back from Germany and Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We came back from our 2 week trip to Germany and Austria last week, I would like to thank all of you for your help. We went to Bacharach by the Rhine for 3 days, then, 1 day in Rothenburg, 3 days in Fussen and 4 days in St. Gilgen. There are not reviews on Gasthof Fürberg [[email protected]]and it was great. It was across the lake from the village of St. Gilgen. We had a patio over the lake. You could take bikes and ride to the village, row boats were also available. Too bad it rained for 2 days.

The ferries come right up to the hotel and you can take them wherever you want. We took it to the little town of Schafberg, then, a little train took us up the mountain, it was the most amazing views. We could see 7 lakes. If anyone has any questions you can email me at [email protected]
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM

Welcome back! I heard about the rain, so we have backup plans for that! We're staying on the 3rd floor balcony room overlooking the lake at the Furberg. It looks wonderful. Luckily, we'll be there 10 days, so we should have a few nice days on the lake! Do you have any rec's for restaurants?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

I'm not big on German food so we ate at Papageno's (spelling) in St. Gilgen 3 nights in a row. They have a waiter there named Michael, very nice and friendly. Good service, good prices and good food.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM

Welcome home, suze1. Would love to hear about Bacharach, where you stayed, what you did, etc. We're starting our July trip there for 3 nights before heading to Rothenburg, Fussen, Salzburg. Did you drive?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM

Author: Andeesue(SEE BELOW THIS)
Date: 05/23/2007, 07:25 pm
Welcome home, suze1. Would love to hear about Bacharach, where you stayed, what you did, etc. We're starting our July trip there for 3 nights before heading to Rothenburg, Fussen, Salzburg. Did you drive?

ROTHENBURG: GO TO THE REICHS KUCHENMEISTER FOR DINNER. GREAT SCHNITZEL. WE ARE HEADING THERE IN A FEW WEEKS.....AGAIN.

Old May 24th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

We landed in Frankfurt and picked up our rental car. Bacharach was only 50 miles from Frankfurt but we could find all villages but that one. When we finally found it we had to stop and ask where Hotel Kranenturm was. By then I was soooo tired and stressed. I had reserved a river view room 9 months before and had reconfirmed. When we got to the hotel my husband let me out to go check in because there was no parking. A man came out, I found out later he was the owner. He said that people had decided to stay an extra night in their room so he would move us the next day to the river view one. The next day he told my husband the people had decided to stay for another night and there was no arguing with him. Even though our room had a view of the mountains I wanted my river view and I wasn't too pleased with this owner. Anyways, to make a long story short, on the 3rd. night he gave the honeymoon suite. I started talking more and more with him and decided I really liked him. His wife was in the hospital and I'm sure if she had been there this situation would not have happened, but it was not a mojor deal.

The first day we got there we walked around the village and hiked up to some church. The village is very cute. We then had dinner at the restaurant and went to our room, we were exhausted. The next morning we went across the street and took the boat to the Rhinefeld castle. We walked up to the castle but there's a little tram in St. Goar you can take to go up to the castle. We did Rick Steve's walking tour, it was great.

The 3rd. day we drove to Boppard. The idea was to go up on the Vierseenblick chairlift but there was no parking and it was really crowded. It was about 11:30am, I think if someone wants to do that do it early. You can take the boat all the way up the river, it's really a nice ride. We got a glass of wine and got into conversations with Germans.

Sounds like your trip is exactly like mine except we stayed 15 miles outside of Salzburg over a lake.

It was really crowded, I can't imagine how crowded it will be in July, good luck.
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM

My wife and I will be traveling by rail to Germany and Austria in September. We will land in Frankfurt, and then travel to Rothenburg for 2 nights. Is there a train that goes from Frankfurt to Rothenburg? Thanks, Jim
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Jim (BIYOA). There is no direct train from the airport to Rothenburg but with connections, yes.

http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Rothenburg ob der Tauber Bahnhof.

There are two train stations in the airport: the Fernbahnhof typically for higher speed trains and the Regional Bahnhof for local trains and Sbahn's to take to the main train station in Frankfurt. I make note of this as either can be listed as a departure point for Rothenburg.

Regards, Gary

PS. It might be better to start your own thread if you have further questions in this regard as it will alert the Fodor train guru's to the nature of your question.
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:41 AM

suze1

Thanks for sharing.

How long was your drive from Fussen to St Gilgen? Was 4 days/nights at St Gilgen just right?

I also gather that given the short distance between Salzburg and St Gilgen, one would only stay in one or the other.

s
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

I don't remember exactly how long the drive was from Fussen to St. Gilgen, I know it wasn't a bad drive.

Was 4 nights enough, well, if the weather is good I would say no, it's not enough. There's an awful lot to do there. Because of the rain we didn't get to Berchtesgaden, or do some beautiful hikes behind Salzburg. I would recommend 5 nights. Hope this helps.
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:37 PM

Thanks suze1

After reading your trip report, I am tossing between staying in Salzburg and St Gilgen.

I assume there is more activity and restaurant selection after dark in Salburg whereas in St Gilgen, one would probably be confined to the hotel/B&B. How was the food at the Gasthof Furberg?

Parking is probably another issue in Salzburg unless the hotel provides it.

s
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

The food at the hotel is great but the menu is not translated in English so the waiter has to translate, a pain. The breakfast that's included is wonderful, they'll cook anything you want and they have cheeses, breads, pate etc. You can go right across the lake to the town to eat, there's quite a few hotels with restaurants and quite a few restaurants. We ate at Papaganos, it was wonderful.

If you're a night person then I would stay in Salzburg. We're on the go all day so we eat early and then go to our hotel room.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:23 AM

That's weird, suze1. The menu online is available in german and English! Thatnks for the heads up...I'm going to print it before we leave in 12 days!!!
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:25 AM

suze1

No we won't be night clubbing!! We'll in fact be travelling with a toddler.

I thought it natural to think that by staying in Salzburg, there is certainly a wider selection of restaurants and food options as opposed to eating food from the same kitchen daily.

We'll be eating and resting early. But the outdoor area surrounding the hotel in St Gilgen will be an attraction to our 3-year old.

s
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:03 AM

I think the area with the sprawling lawns and rowboats would be a blast for the child. The bus and ferry don't run late in the night, but you could eat an early dinner in town, There are other lodging options in both St Wolfgang, Strobl, and St Gilgen with plenty places to eat. The bus (150) takes only 45 min to Salzburg. We liked the idea of staying where it was quiet, but having things to do. I found that starting in early June, there are nightly music concerts and town fests all over Wolfgangsee. That sounds great for a tot!
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

I'm assuming you'll have a car. Hotel Fuerberg is right on the lake, if I had a 3 year old that's where I would stay. The boats come every hour, you can take that to the village or wherever you want to go.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:31 AM

suze1

The boats that dock in front of the Gasthof Furberg, are they exclusive to the Hotel? If not, would you have a weblink to this service.

Many thanks!

s
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

The boats are not exclusive to the hotel, they're boats that come every hour and stop at all the popular spots to pick up passengers.

I don't have a web site, don't even know if they had one. We got the schedule in a brochure in the hotel lobbe. You might want to email the hotel and ask if the boats have a web site.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:53 PM

I had a website and downloaded the schedule prior to my visit. The ferry starts at St Gilgen. then goes to Furberg, then on down to Reid, St Wolfgang, etc. The other ferry comes the opposite way. On our brochure, it listed the ferry running from 5-9 from St. Wolfgang but only "in good weather and with prior announcement". I don't know what that means, but they pretty much shut off the ferry at 5 from there. Buses run later, but you will have to transfer quite a bit! We were willing to walk from St Gilgen to Furberg...a little under 2 miles. The owner of the Furberg has a nice motor boat, a few guests told me that they called him for a pick-up in St Gilgen with no problem. The buses from St Gilgen run a different path from the buses in St Wolfgang, but all meet in Strobl. It's really not too tough to get by sans car.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:48 PM

Thanks suze1 and LLindaC.

I found the link as follows:-

http://www.schafbergbahn.at/

s