Reload this Page >

Back from Germany

Search

Back from Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 10:44 PM
nickie

Back from Germany

After reading post#40, I started feeling a little guilty for not writing, as I've received so much interesting information from this forum. Note, however, that also in post #40, Lee visited Germany recently, and is a treasure trove of information. <BR>I did previously post about my experience at Burg Maus, which is a wonderful outing if you like the Rhine, like falcons and eagles, and don't mind a little walking to get there! We did that our first day there, when the adrenaline was still going, but we fell asleep in our dinner plates that night! <BR>We stayed for four nights at the castle hotel Schonburg, which has a pretty view of the Rhine, and is really a nice place, with some interesting castle ruins. We cruised the Rhine on the fairly new paddlewheeler (great view of the castles), smugly found our way to the magnificent Koln cathedral (and got very lost trying to get back out of the city - I think next time I would do that by train!), drove near Ahrweiler for a fabulous dinner, and walked near the Siebengeberge. From there we visited Burg Eltz ( and contrary to some opinions, I far prefer the Rhine over the Mosel), visited a neat gem mine at Idar Oberstein (no English spoken however, but I did enjoy the glittering walls and the hardhat you had to wear), Trier( great restaurant in town, the Zum Domstein), Burg Guttenberg (great castle, good falconry show), Rothenburg O.D.T., and then on to Bavaria! <BR>Stayed at my favorite hotel in the world, the Berghotel Falkenstein near Pfronten - about twenty minutes away from Neuschwanstein. You are high on a hill, with terraces opening outdoors to a fabulous view of the Alps, and also the floodlit ruins of Falkenstein, where King Ludwig II had planned his next castle. The owners make you feel like a treasured guest, and being a five star chef doesn't hurt! <BR>Toured Neuschwanstein (go early!) and Linderhof, zoomed through busy Oberammergau to get some great wood carvings. Went to Garmisch, which was the only bad time of the entire trip. Several tour books had said a gasthaus was good - but it turned out to have a closet room that smelled of urine. When I spoke to the proprietor about the possibility of getting a different room, she practically cursed at me. So we left there, and got a very nice room at the Posthotel. There were recent heavy rains, so unfortunately the gorge walk I'd planned didn't work out, but did some great hiking in the area anyway. <BR>From there we went to Berchtesgaden, which was lovely.Stayed at the really nice hotel VierJahrzeiten (doesn't look good on the outside, but inside it is). The Eagles Nest and Saltmines were great fun, the Konigsee just ok (you are packed into those boats). <BR>Also visited Munich ( fascinating Deutsches Museum), and Salzburg ( but I really can't answer any questions about it, just a short stop).Whew! Happy to help anyone with the above topics if I can.

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 04:58 AM
denise

Thanks for the info. It's true that many people are on the forum actively before their trips (understandable). But it would be so helpful if, when they return and while everything is fresh in their mind, they could brief us on any changes they would have made to their itinerary. <BR>Thanks for taking time to give us your impressions. I was wondering why you didn't stay longer at the Burghotel Falkenstein instead of moving to Garmish? I'm under the impression that <BR>we could spend time in one place and tour that entire area. Also, while in Berchtesgarden, did you tour Hallstadt. <BR>Everyone seems to rave about it and I was wondering if we should spend time there on our trip in late Oct. I read that it might be very rainy in that area at that time. Any feed back is most appreciated. By the way , where did you stay in Rothenburg? Any suggestions. Thanks again for your thoughtful post.

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 09:01 AM
nickie

I wish we had stayed at Burghotel Falkenstein for a longer time, but unfortunately I had made advance reservations in Garmisch. Certainly if and when! I go back, I would change that, and plan to stay about a week at Falkenstein. It really is well located if you're driving your own car, and the only problem with it is there is a steep hill to navigate to get to it (the road is marked pedestrians only, which you're supposed to ignore). Despite that, it's breathtaking. <BR>At Rothenberg we stayed at the Tilman Riemenschneider, a very nice place that is centrally located, with marvelous breakfasts included in the price. While you drop off your bags at the hotel entrance, someone will go with you to the garage or lot, and you have to walk a few blocks back. The rooms at the hotel are chock with pretty tole painted furniture and other rustic antiques. It's a short walk to the church with the fabulous Riemenschneider carving (sorry, I'm drawing a blank on the name of the church), and to the interesting criminal museum. Close to the shops, of course. <BR>No, didn't go to Hallstadt, so I can't help you there. I'd decided we'd gone to so many other scenic places that we'd leave that one out.And frankly, I wish I'd done Falkenstein last, since everything paled next to it. Please let me know if you need any more particulars on any of the places.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:06 AM
Kate

We are also just back, last night, from 12 days in Germany and Austria. We started in Munich, drove to Vienna with an overnight stop in Steyr. After a few days in Vienna, we drove to Berchtesgaden. It rained for 4 days, so we barely got any glimpses of the mountains. We did do the salt mine tour which we enjoyed, toured Salzburg one day, and went on the Königsee boat ride. (It wasn't too crowded because of the rain!) We had planned to drive to Hallstatt, but figured it wasn't worth 3 hours in the car (round trip) if we couldn't see the scenery! We then headed to Oberammergau, where we shopped, visited Linderhof and Neuschwanstein. Then back to Munich and home. I'll check in here too for questions people might have. It's true- we all check this forum before our trips, and I got a ton of helpful information.... so I'll be happy to share info for people who are still planning!

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:26 AM
Ann

I was in Germany 3 years ago and had a wonderful trip from our "home base" in Stuttgart. From there we traveled to Innsbruck, Zurich, Strasbourg, and of course did all the Bavarian towns, including Garmisch. I am planning to go back in October and will be staying at a timeshare in Mitterfels which is 62 miles directly east of the Munich airport, not far from the Czech Republic on the edge of the Bavarian Forest. I have not seen any postings about trips to this part of Germany. We plan to stay 4 days at the Metro Ferienclub in Mitterfels and take day trips to small interesting towns with our rental car. The last 2 nights of our trip we will be staying in Munich at the Munich Hilton. Does anyone have suggestions for our day trips from Mitterfels. Does anyone have any comments about this part of Germany?

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 09:06 PM
harmony

Where is Mitterfels in Germany? <BR>Is it worth going? Why? <BR> <BR>Someone asked where to stay in Rothenberg. When we went we stayed <BR>outside of Rothenberg in a tiny <BR>city called DETTWANG. I know, it <BR>certainly does'nt sound German. <BR>But we stay at a Zimmerfrei, for <BR>two nights it cost us $70 mit <BR>fruhstuck (with breakfast). <BR>We try to travel on budget because <BR>entrance fees to place are so costly. <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 08:46 AM
Ann

Mitterfels is 62 miles directly east of the Munich airport. It is in an area of sports related resorts, such as skiing, horseback riding, swimming, hiking, etc. The resort (by the way the pictures of it look nice) includes many sports-related activities.

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 08:28 PM
Lucy

I'm planning a 10-day trip to Germany with my sons, ages 11 and 16, starting Aug. 29th. I've read many posts here about travel in Germany, but none so far have mentioned a couple of the places I plan to visit. <BR>We'll arrive in Frankfurt, drive down to Rothenberg and spend a couple of days on the "Romantic Road," then drive to Nuremberg and stay overnight there with time to do a day's worth of sighseeing. <BR>Then we're driving all the way to Berlin and spending three days in Berlin and surrounding area (Potsdam,etc.) Then I'm planning to drive to Weimar and stay there two nights. Goethe lived there for many years, and this is the 250th anniversary of his birth. I hear that the town is very interesting and charming, and there are lots of activities because of this anniversary. We will also visit Buchenwald,the concentration camp, which is a short drive from Weimar. <BR>Then we will head back to Frankfurt and fly home. <BR>I'd be interested in hearing from others who have been to Weimar, to Buchenwald, and Nuremberg. Did you feel that these were worthwhile, and what did you see and do there? I have booked hotels everywhere so far except for Weimar and for the last night in/near Frankfurt. Weimar hotels are booked very tight because of the Goethe festivities. Anyone have a suggestion for a hotel in a town very close by Weimar? <BR>Thanks. <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 07:50 AM
neil

Hi there <BR>does anyone have any recommendations for the various castle hotels in the Rhine / Mosel Valley. I am spending a long weekend there with my partner in August and was looking for somewhere nice to stay. Also, any other recommendations for nice restaurants. (The Zum Domstein is noted !) <BR>thanks - Neil

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 04:39 PM
andrea

Hello Lucy and all! <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 04:49 PM
andrea

Hello Lucy and all <BR> I have been to Germany several times and have been to all the cities that you are planning to visit. You specifically mentioned Nuremburg and Weimar (and nearby Buchenwald), so I will just tell you a little bit about those. (if you want to know more details about the other cities feel free to email me directly) . Nuremburg is actually one of my favorite German cities and there's a lot to see. The castle or Burg that overlooks the city is a must. You must also make sure to try Nurnberger specialties: lebkuchen and rostbratwursten. Also, make sure you take your kids to Zeppelin Field, the site of the Nazi party rallies. There is also a museum there that is very interesting, but a lot of the exhibits are in German. Weimar is also an interesting city. I studied in nearby Jena a few years ago, so that might be a place to try hotels. Buchenwald is also a sombering, yet historical place that I think everyone should see once. I have also been to berlin and Potsdam as well as Frankfurt(which I'm not too fond of) and Rothenburg, so let me know if you have any more questions. <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 08:07 PM
Lucy

Andrea, <BR> <BR>Thanks for your response. I didn't realize Jena was that close to Weimar. I'll look there for hotels or B&Bs. I will print out your message and take it along so i don't forget to look for all the things you mentioned! (As a child, my mother made Lebkuchen at holiday time, and so I'm familiar with it. And my father, who was born and brought up in Germany, was a wurst fanatic, so I've had them all!) <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 05:09 AM
Kate

Neil- Try looking at Karen Brown's website for castle/hotels. There's one in Oberwessel that I stayed in on my first trip to Europe when I was 12, and then went back when I was in college. www.karenbrown.com. Good luck, and enjoy!

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 04:20 PM
greg

Denise, <BR>We were at Hallstatt two weeks ago. We had to choose one lake area to visit in Austria, and we chose Hallstatt. As someone else said, it is somewhat of a hassle to get there from Salzburg. But perhaps because of that we found less tourists there (light drizzle probably helped also.) But I understand that by August, this town also gets inundated by tour busses. Whether more rain make the trip not worth depends on what you are after. Unlike Berner Oberland, clouded sky does not totally ruin the trip to the Hallstatt. I have seen some superb photographs of the town on a cloudy day. <BR>My daugher and I did the Saltmine tour there. It's quite a walk after getting off the funicular at the top. Also we must have walked 1/2 mile in the mine in dim lit tunnels. Most of the tour was in German (the guide only spoke German) except for few minutes of video presentation of the saltmine process, if you sit in the headphoned back section of the cave theater.