Reload this Page >

Back from a week in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 08:57 AM
Charles

I had a great time in Paris and welcome any e-mail with questions. Highlights were my trip to Versailles(easily accessible by public transport); my trip to the D-Day Beaches (American Cemetery is very impressive); catacombs;mass at Notre Dame, etc. etc. Also discovered good place for public internet access. My hotel was in the Montmarte region. Anyway I had a wonderful trip. I also mastered the Metro, Paninis, and the way to save money on meals. I will appreciate any questions you might have and I will be responsive. Thanks to all who helped me!! <BR>

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 09:07 AM
eileen

Hi Charles, glad you had a great trip - we'll be off to Paris in two weeks and I can't wait .... re Versailles, how long did it take you to get there? did you find that it was a full day visit? My other question relates to dress code for men - did you fid that most of the nice restaurants had the men in jackets & ties? not sure if my husband should bring a suit on the trip - thanks

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 10:17 AM
julie

Can you give me more information about your trip to the D-Day beaches? Did you do it in one day? Thanks

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 01:27 PM
Bridget

Hi Charles, <BR>I was just wondering what you thought of the catacombs. My boyfriend and I will be in Paris for 3 days this summer and there is a lot we want to see during that time, we didn't know if the tour was worth the time. I know they are only open certain days from 2-4pm, so I don't want to waste my time in long lines. How long was the tour and what did the tour include? Thank you!

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 03:34 PM
CS

Charles: May I have the name, address and fees charged for your internet access? We leave for London & Paris next Tuesday and I would really like to have that nailed down before we go. Very interested in ANY other details of your Paris trip. ie., Favorite restaurants? Cafes? Any negatives? Thanks so much for sharing. CS

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 04:19 PM
Leslie

How did you tour the d-day beaches (car or bus tour)? If bus tour, which one? Was it worthwhile? Which city did you make connections with the tour bus?

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 07:19 PM
lynn

Hi All - <BR> <BR>I'm not Charles but I couldn't help but chime in since I was also just there. We got back on Easter Sunday the 4th. <BR> <BR>Eileen: Versailles is about a 30-40 minute trip on the RER (commuter trains) from central Paris. It's only about 15 or so miles in distance but the train makes stops. As far as time to spend there, that really depends on you. Here's my opinion... <BR> <BR>I love huge oil paintings, Louis XIV furniture, etc. so I like the palace better than the gardens. The gardens are very pretty but they are big and it would definitely be a full day if you do the palace, the gardens and some of the other buildings in the back of the property. For us, we just did the basics. I've been there twice and do plan on seeing the back of the property one day but there's always so much to do in the city that I find the back part of Versailles is never high on my priority list. We did the basics in under 3 hours so, figure 5 hours including transit at a minimum. And keep in mind, many will say you should spend all day, it just depends if you are really into lots of greenery or prefer the interiors instead. <BR> <BR>As far as jackets, my husband always makes sure to have a sport jacket (definitely dark: black, brown, or navy) and a tie just in case. He shouldn't need an actual suit unless you are really going out to a heavy hitting place. Also, you'd be surprised to see how casual they can dress. We were wandering around the outskirts of the city one night after dinner (just because we had never been out there before, it's mostly commercial buildings etc.) and happended upon a restaurant where people were standing in line to get in. I'd never seen that in Paris before. It was obviously a local place (esp. being so far from the main tourist areas) and many of the men had docker-type pants, shirt, and a sweater on. It wasn't a fancy place but it was a cut above the normal. <BR> <BR>Bridget: The Catacombs are very historically (and otherwise) interesting. I've seen some that really frown on them because they don't like the idea of walking by millions (yes, millions) of skeletons. As far as worth going, in my opinion they are. However, with only 3 days in Paris, there are many other things you should probably do first. Time wise, we went last week at 1pm and lined up for an hour. We were 3rd in line. It isn't really a tour, it's more of a walk through. Only takes about 30 minutes or so unless you really walk slow. So, you could be in line at 1 and out by 2:30ish if you want to do it, that's what we did. The first time we went last year we actually spent 2 hours down there just looking around but that was because there were no other people. This time, it was really busy. Be prepared for close quarters. In some places the ceiling is very, very low and it drips water. We love the Catacombs they are really amazing. Nothing like them in the States. <BR> <BR>CS: My husband trades on the stock market so it was very important to find an internet cafe when we were there last week. The one we went to (it was pretty close to our hotel) is on St. Michel Blvd. I have a little brochure somewhere but haven't sorted through my trip stuff yet. It's not hard to find. If the Seine is at your back and you are walking down St. Michel Blvd. on the left side of the street, it will be about a 10-15 minute walk from the river quai. You will reach what I believe is called Place Edmund Ronstand (something close to that) and you will see Jardin de Luxembourg on your right. Keep walking on the left side of the street until you see the fence around the garden end. Then stop and look to the shop on your left, you should be standing right in front of the Le Jardin des Internet (again, something close to that). The minimum is about $5US for 15 minutes. I think 30 minutes was about $6-7 and 1 hour was about $8-9. I think they also gave you a discount if you bought a cafe. They sold soda, snacks, and coffee. <BR> <BR>Hope this may be helpful!

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 07:20 PM
Julie

Husband and I can't wait to go! Have never been there before and would welcome any info regarding restraunts, dress-code at nicer restraunts, nightclubs?... Were the lines long at the museums? Was Versailles a full-day? We only have 3 days. Thanks in advance for your reply. [email protected]

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 05:29 AM
John

Julie, Paris is a major city so you will see many people who are dressed quite well. In Paris, perhaps a little more. You will see people casually dressed and in many restaurants, but the better the restaurant, the more patrons you will see dressed up. However, I don't think there is a real strict dress code that would require ties for a man. I have never been refused at a restaurant for not wearing a tie, but if I was going to one of the better ones, I would wear a tie. <BR> <BR>When I lived in Paris, I practically lived in a suit and tie. The only place I ever wore jeans and sneakers was inside my apartment. I would consider a sport jacket as a must as a minimum as and a suit with tie if you are planning someplace special as Lynn suggested.

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 07:24 AM
eileen

thanks for all the tips ... we do have a full day set aside for Versailles (just in case), and we decided that my husband would bring one suit (this way we are prepared for anything!). I always bring a "dressy" dress when I travel to cities so I'll be prepared as well. Merci