Back from 8 days in Paris

Apr 30th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Back from 8 days in Paris

Thanks to all of you who helped me plan a wonderful time in Paris. We rented apartment 122 from vacations in Paris and it was fine. The bed was very comfortable and with only 2 of us, the extra room and .5 bath was great.

DAY 1:We arrived on Tuesday the 8th. We took a cab to the apt. We had the keys. We unpacked and headed out the door. It was our first trip so we headed to the Seine and Notre Dame and explored the neighborhood. We were not able to buy the museum passes at the crypt. We got the audio guide for Notre Dame and enjoyed. I always pinched myself that I was really spending April in Paris.

We had dinner at Cafe Latin at the corner of our apt. We wanted something and wanted to be close to the apt. We made it to midnight. We did not set our alarm, left the curtains open expecting to be at the Louvre before 9 the next morning.

DAY 2: At 11:30 we woke up and looked outside and went ooops...we're on vacation. The weather was quite nice and since our days were supposed to be rainy, I decided we would go to the Arc De Triomphe to get our 6 day passes and view the city.

We bought the 6 day pass which was great for us at the Arc. We walked the Champs and looked at some of the windows..went to Le Orangerie and Tuilleries Gardens and were ready for a bite to eat. We had a coffee in the apt and a crepe near the apt. before we left for the Arc.

We used the Litlle Black Book of Paris which showed that Angelina's was nearby. We went for hot chocolate which was beyond wonderful, then headed off to the Louvre because I knew it was open late on Wed. I saw the main sites and piched myself as I looked at Mona. I remember being 9 and in school studying DaVinci and wanting to see her. It's taken awhile (I'm now 56), but I made it. Napolean's apts were quite wonderful.

We headed back. It was almost 10 and I must admit the chocolate did not agree with me. I did not try it again this trip. I will next time. My husband grabbed a sandwich in the neighborhood. We set our alarms so we could be at the O'rsay in the morning. We were having a wonderful time!!!

Apr 30th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Glad you had a great trip. Happy Travels!
Apr 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM

So glad you loved Paris. Have you started to plan your return trip yet
Apr 30th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Looking forward to the rest of your report. I have #122 rented for November.
Apr 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

DAy#3: We got up at a reasonable hour and headed to the Orsay. WOW!!!! What a wonderful place. We spent a few hours and then...it was time to eat. We ate at a lovely restaurant in the museum and then we headed for a walk to the Rodin museum. We had another nice day and we wanted to be able to see the museum and be able to enjoy the gardens.. We walked over and viewed the sights on the way over. Although it was cold in Paris, we loved it. We wore heavy coats and gloves and we were fine. I prefer this kind of weather to really hot sight seeing weather. I think that's why we were able to go our for so long. The heat never got to us. We ended up in a cafe for another $7 cup of coffee, but who cared we were in Paris and we were having a wonderful time.

I did not buy much. Things were so expensive!! I got the names of 2 stores that have NYC locations. My daughter lives there, and I thought I would give them the business on a trip to the city. We bought some things at the grocery, the pharmacy, and some knives. I carried my list around that's on this site, and I did pick up some of those items.

We went by Allard's on the way home to make a reservation for the following night. They had space then, it was 7:30 so we stayed. We had a lovely dinner. We had a salad and frois gra for appetizers, shared the chiken for 2 with mushrooms and with wine it was about 155 E. That was our most expensive meal. We had lovely neighbors at the table next to us. They were from Switzerland. They were looking to come to the USA for the beach this summer since Europe was getting so expensive for them. (oh well!) We had a delightful meal and we went home to bed to get ready to start another day.
Apr 30th, 2008, 05:26 PM

Sounds like you had a lovely time in Paris. It is always interesting to 'see' Paris through the eyes of first timers. Amazing what a spell that city casts on so many people. Since we aren't getting there this year I have been living vicariously through Fodor's trip reports. Looking forward to more of your report.
May 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM

True...it is nice to hear about a place through the eyes of a first-timer. It's like being a kid in a toy store. It also brings back ancient memories of what used to excite me about places. I guess I've gotten a little jades over the many decades of travel. Smiles. Happy Travels!
May 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM

"jaded"...not"jades". Happy Travels!
May 12th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I've been busy at work catching up and I am finally ready to write. After a wonderful night at Allard's, we decided to wake up with no alarm...oops again 11:30...oh well we were on vacation. It was another surprisingly beautiful day so we went to Montmarte and Sacre Cour. We walked up enjoyed the sights and started to walk down. We were approached by someone who wanted to show us something. Having lost our camera that way in Istanbul last year, we were not having any. Off he went, and off we went to get some wonderful pastries and coffee before we headed to the Pompedeau Center. I remembered it was open late on Friday, and it was a great place to have a drink and watch the sunset.

We passed on the drink. It was quite warm up there with all that glass, but MDH was glad to take pictures and enjoy the scenery after we went to the museum. The night openings are great. Thanks to all who gave us that head's up.

We ate in the neighborhood that night agin. We went to a local Greek Rest near our apt for some fresh grilled shrimp.

The next morning we managed to get up in time and we headed to Versailles. The day was to be nice again. We loved it. We did the gardens and Marie's houses. The place is as amazing as I thought it would be. We managed to do a little shopping at a flea market there. We did buy knives that have been suggested on this board, and they really are good. We also bought some smocked girls dresses that were made in France and quite lovely.

We headed back to the apt. and took a nap ready to party for the evening. We had steak that night at a place frequented on this board in the 6th. We then went on the Paris Illumination boat. It was a beautiful night. We then went to listen to some Jazz right where we were staying. What fun!!! There was a swing band that night and the Parisians were having a high old time dancing the night away. It was great music, great fun, and no smoke!!! How civilized. At 2:30 we were off to home knowing we would sleep in the AM.

Sunday we had Falafel in the Marias for lunch. We went to the Jewish Museum which is now part of the museum pass. We shopped around and we missed the Picasso Museum. Our late start made it impossible. I guess we will have to go back.

We walked around the Place de Voges and ended up having dinner on the Isles St. Louis at a very touristy place that included wine with dinner. It was a medieval place. I do not remember the name. We knew they would lose money on us that night. I had the lamb chop, it was surprisingly good. They brought a huge basket of carrots, cucumbers, cauliflour. I am sure someone on this board will know the place if anyone is interested. It was 39euros a person including wine. On the way home, as that was our only day of rain all day, it was only appropriate that with our bellies full and all that wine we sang singing in the rain most of the way home. Our children would have been mortified.

Another wonderful day in Paris for 2 56 year olds.

May 12th, 2008, 09:40 AM

What was the name of the jazz club that you went to? I stopped going some years ago due to the smoke that was thick enough to cut with a knife. But, if they are all now smoke free, then I can't wait to hit the streets and start clubbing again. Happy Travels!
May 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Caveau de la Huchette on Rue de la Huchette was the name of the club. It was 13 euros to get in and have a good time. You did not even have to buy a drink once you were in.
May 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM

teach!
We went to Allard the first time, many years ago for our anniversary dinner. I had the chicken and mushrooms and the waiter told me how to make the mushrooms, I still make them
He gave us the menu for that night, it has the date on it.
I have it framed and in my kitchen..you brought back lots of good memories with this trip report, thanks!
May 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

We had the chicken and mushrooms. It was wonderful. How do you make them? I would love the recipe.

teach905
May 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Thanks. I know that jazz club. Happy Travels!
May 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM

teach905,

Your singing "Singing in the Rain" created a great picture in my mind. Romantic and fun. So happy you got to see some of those things you learned about in childhood. Very special. Thanks for sharing.
May 15th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Day 7 and 8: On Moday we decided it was time to go see Gallerie Lafayette and the Opera. The store was beautiful. The French really do know about eye candy. We mainly strolled and wandered. There was a small exhibit of pictures that were taken in Paris during WW2. It was fascinating to see. We ended the day in a cafe where we stayed too long and did not want to leave. The people were really wonderful whereever we went. On Tuesday, we went to the JacquesMart Museum which was wonderful!!! If you have a chance do not miss this!!! We had a lovely lunch at the museum and then went to the Parc Manceau a few blocks away...another beautiful place. We then headed to the Luxembourg gardens for a last bit of Paris at it's best. The day was beautiful and the chairs were comfortable. It was Tuesday so lots of people were home for the day and the park was full. We headed home to pack and ate at the Cafe on our corner. It was our last night in Paris and we knew we would be back.

It was really great to park ourselves in the same place for awhile. It was busy but relaxing.

I know we want to go back one day and see more of France. Hopefully the dollar will improve and we will be able to do that.

Thanks again for the help. This board is great. It amazes me how many people will not chance doing it on their own with all the knowledge you on this board have.
May 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Wow! Sounds like a great trip! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Did you buy any of the goodies on the list? We're leaving in 5 months and it wont come soon enough. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the Orsay so much, we missed that last time and I'm looking forward to going. Where was your apartment again?
May 15th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Great report!!
May 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

The apt was #122 in vacationsinparis near St. Michel and Notre Dame.