Reload this Page >

Back from 10 days in Germany!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Annie

Recently returned from my first ever trip to Germany and it was wonderful! Thanks to all who provided their insight and suggestions. Your tips helped make my dream vacation a reality!<BR> <BR>I stayed in the following cities:<BR>Heidelberg<BR>Schwangau<BR>Munchen (3 nights)<BR>Colmburg<BR>Weimar<BR>Berlin (3 nights)<BR><BR>I would be happy to return the favor and help anyone out with questions they may have about these cities. <BR><BR>Annie<BR><BR>

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:04 AM
oberost

Will be in Berlin in July. What do you<BR>recommend as "don't miss?" How about<BR>some good places to eat?<BR>

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Victoria

Annie,<BR> We leave tomorrow for Berlin-I'd appreciate any restaurant reviews you care to share. (Also, I have probably built up the KaDeWe to be more than it is; after all, I live amidst just about every major department store, but feel I must visit, time permitting. Any thoughts if you were there?) Thanks.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Annie

Berlin is a fascinating city! There is so much to see, I could have stayed more than three days. <BR><BR>Some tips: We were driving throughout the trip, but dropped off the car as soon as we got into the city. We immediately purchased a "Welcome Card" (18 Euro per person) which allowed for 72 hours of transportation. It was good for the U-Bahn, S-Bahn and buses. It also provided discounts (at least 25%) on all of the museums/attractions we visited. It paid for itself and worked out great. <BR><BR>Second: We did a walking tour the morning after we arrived. It was terrific! We used www.insidertours.com as suggested by lonely planet. This tour is ALL walking - about 4 1/2 hours. The other tour suggested was berlinwalks, which included some bus travel. It was a perfect way to get oriented to the city - both the east and west sides. It was so fascinating and our tour guide Andrew was very funny. I highly recommend it. <BR>We stayed at the Sorat Art Hotel on Joachimstalerstrasse, which was a five minute walk to the Zoo Garten station (main train and U-Bahn station). So, we visited the Zoo (very nice, but not too different from anything I have seen in Michigan) and walked through the Tiergarten area, which was surpringly green and lovely for being in the middle of a big city. We were lucky and the weather was beautiful. <BR><BR>I wouldn't miss the Checkpoint Charlie Museum. Fascinating stories and displays of actual escape devices used by people to get into West Berlin. We also went to the museum of Natural History (like the Field museum in Chicago, but very small - depends if you like that kind of stuff), and the Chamber of Horrors, the only actual bunker left to tour. It was like a haunted house on top, but the bottom floor had interesting stories and items left by people that were forced to stay in there.<BR><BR>We didn't make it into the KaDeWe, but we did walk by it and there was a lot of activity. If we had more time, I would have stopped.<BR><BR>I can't remember all of the names of the places we ate, but I will put that together tonight and post again!<BR><BR>Hope this helps! <BR><BR>Annie

Old May 20th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Annie

Following is info on the restaurants we ate at in Berlin:<BR><BR>Grossbeerenkeller (Grossbeerenkellerstrasse 90 in Kreuzburg): A cool celler restaurant (very warm though!) with typical german fare. <BR><BR>Zum Nussbaum (Am Nussbaum 3): Another restaurant with German fare. Supposed to be the oldest in Berlin. Good food and friendly staff in the Nikolaiviertel.<BR><BR>Viva Mexico! (Chausseestrasse 36): Yes, a mexican restaurant - recommended by Time Out Berlin. The owners lived in Mexico so the food is authentic. Very good and inexpensive. By the Natural History Museum in Mitte.<BR><BR>We had lunch at an irish pub right off the S-Bahn station Hackesher Markt. We also spent Saturday night in the area around this station. Lots of different places to stop and have a drink, you should find a place to suit your style.<BR><BR>We also had a beer and pretzel at the Cafe am Neuen See. In Tiergarten, it overlooks the lake and is very nice place to stop and relax after a day of sightseeing.<BR><BR>Annie

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Joy

Annie:<BR>Any must sees or great restaurant reviews for Munich? We'll be there next month for a few days...

Old May 20th, 2002, 06:51 PM
aunt grapes

Annie-any suggestions (especially accomodations) for Weimar? Thanks

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:36 AM
Annie

We stayed at the Hotel Elephant in Weimar. The location was absolutely perfect - our room overlooked the town square. The room was huge and the hotel was lovely. I would highly recommend it. We got the room through expedia, so the rate was better than going through the hotel directly. However, they didn't mention breakfast wasn't included with our expedia deal, and we got charged $18 Euro each! The breakfast buffet was incredible though. The biggest I have ever seen!<BR><BR>The town is great to walk around in. We only had a day and it was a holiday so we didn't see too much. I liked going to Goethe's house (didn't care for the Schiller house tour), and the bauhaus museum.<BR><BR>Outside of the museums, it's just a great place to sit at an outdoor cafe and absorb the history.<BR><BR>

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:46 AM
Therese

Where did you stay and eat in Heidelberg? What did you like doing there?<BR><BR>And to answer Victoria's question re KaDeWe, it's really just a nice large department store. I didn't find it amazing, though certainly a reasonable place to shop if you want to do a department store. The Galeries Lafayette (near or on Friedrichstrasse if memory serves) is also nice. And the clerks (at least the ones I used) speak French.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:21 AM
Annie

Joy - <BR><BR>Munich was a wonderful city! It was my favorite on our trip. We had 2 1/2 days there and it wasn't enough! We did a day trip to Berchtesgaden and the Konigsee. It was a two hour drive and if you have time I would go. It was the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.<BR><BR>In Munich we ate mostly at beer halls, that is more our style. Two very good ones were the Augustiner (near Marienplatz) and the Lowenbraukeller. We had lunch at the Viktualienmarkt and that is great place to hang out on a sunny day. <BR><BR>Munich is a wonderful city to just wander around and stop at places that suit you for a drink or snack or to shop. The Marienplatz is beautiful and is the center of town, so I'm sure you won't miss that. I would also highly recommend the Deutsches Museum.<BR><BR>Enjoy the city - I can't wait to go back!<BR><BR>Annie

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:39 AM
Annie

Therese:<BR><BR>We stayed at the Romantik Hotel Zum Ritter St. Georg in Heidelberg. It was a gorgeous old hotel right in the middle of town - perfect location! The staff was great and they let us check in early. I would stay there again.<BR><BR>Unfortunately it rained the WHOLE time we were there. But we did walk up to the castle (317 stairs!)and look out over the city. Very beautiful. We wandered around town as much as we could and I would definitely do more of that if the weather was nice.<BR><BR>We ate at Vetters for dinner. The food was good, but I felt a little out of place as a tourist. If your German is better than mine, you should be OK. Most other places in town I felt very comfortable. We stopped in for drinks at several places - Sean Oggs in particular was fun. We were there on a Friday, and despite the weather, lots of people were out.<BR><BR>Annie

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:02 AM
Bob

Hi Annie! Sounds like a terrific trip!<BR>My wife eats fish and seafood, but no meat/poultry. Will it be difficult for <BR>her to find places to eat? Thanks!

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:34 AM
Annie

Bob - <BR><BR>Most German restaurants we went to had fish choices in addition to the typical wurst and pork. I ate salmon (lachs)a couple of times and it was delicious! I also loved spatzle in Bavaria and made that a meal too. Don't know if it was just an in-season thing, but nearly every restaurant had asparagus on the menu and some places had a completely separate menu! Frische Spargel signs were everywhere!!<BR><BR>In Munich and Berlin (especially) there were many italian, chinese, etc. restaurants to choose from too. <BR><BR>Also, every place we dined at had the menu posted outside, so you were never surprised!<BR><BR>Annie

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Lou

Annie, great post . I too am planning 8 day visit to germany arriving in Munich. Planning on two/three base there . Then moving on to Schwangau for three days followed by travel to Rothenburg area. Some questions for you.<BR>a) where did you stay in Munich and Schwangau area<BR>b) I want to visit the Berchtesgaden/Konigsee area. Is ot best to day visit from Munich or from Schwangau. Hope to here from our experts.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:30 AM
chris

Annie, I am thinking about going to Germany with my wife in mid Feb. I have been to Frankfurt before, which is where I am meeting her. I am going to be there, most likley 6 days, flying back out of Frankfurt...maybe. <BR>Anyway, what are the must see cities and should I rent a car? Thanks...not sure what to do and I am looking for any help!