Reload this Page >

B & B's on a wing and a prayer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 01:39 PM
Charlie

I have decided to go the voucher route in April on my self drive tour. Will I have any problems with not pre-booking for the B & B's? Any recommendations for good ones? Want to see Galway, Dingle, Dooling, Killarney, Kinsale etc.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 05:25 PM
steve

You should have no trouble. Many B&B's are just getting started up again after being closed for the winter. <BR> <BR>I can recommend Redwoods B&B, just outside Killarney when coming from the west. Very new

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 05:46 PM
dana

I'm also going to Ireland in April, do you need voucher? We planned on just winging it.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 05:08 AM
Lori

Several years ago we used the voucher system on our self drive tour. We had a book of B&Bs in each area with pictures and descriptions. We were able to book each B&B the same day by going to the local tourist office, never had a problem.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 05:30 AM
herself

Charlie, <BR>You will not have any problems finding a great B&B in Ireland. I usually book my first night just in case I don't function well upon arrival. <BR>My favorite B&B in Dingle is the Duinin House on the Coner Pass. The sitting area has loads of books, which I loved. Breakfast had oatmeal with Bailey Irish Cream floating on top. <BR>At the Cliffs of Moher, I loved the Moher Lodge Farmhouse. Both have e-mail etc. <BR>Try http://www.townandcountry.ie/ <BR>and www. irishfarmholidays.com <BR>Have fun.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Linda

We had a great B&B experience this past summer. I booked all our houses over the 'net using www.ireland.travel.ie/accommodation/ and www.townandcountry.ie. You get to see the houses and can e-mail the hosts for a lot of them.Killarney: Applecroft House was terrific...poets corner was our room. Dingle: Duinin House...great breakfasts...the savory omlete! Doolin.. Seaview House is handy to O'Connor's pub. The Doolin Cafe had great food. Galway...St.Jude's was highly thought of by people we know. A note to Dana, no you do not need vouchers...some of the nicer b&b's will charge extra for an ensuite room if you are using vouchers.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 02:59 PM
charlie

Thanks to all who've responded. <BR> <BR>Linda, I have seen those particular places mentioned several times now. Thanks so much for the input. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 11:13 PM
Shannon

Charlie, If you want to find fab B&Bs without all the trouble of hunting them down just get the book I used in August The Best Little Guide to Ireland. all of the B&Bs were just wonderful. On two occasions the ones in the book were full and we had to stay at some I chose from the Town & Country B&B Book and they did not compare to the ones in the Best Little Guide. I ordered that book online at http://www.irelandyes.com . The site is very informative too. I really like the Irish weather page and the Q&A page. I also emailed some questions to Michelle and she answerd very promptly with some good suggestions that saved me a lot of time searching the net. That woman knows her stuff about Ireland!! Shannon

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Cathy

Charlie, <BR>Try www.ireland.travel.ie - the official web site of the Irish Tourist Board - you will get ll the info' you need on approved B&Bs. Also check out the following sites for more B&Bs etc <BR>www.irishfarmholidays.com <BR>www.hidden-ireland.com, <BR>www.jurys.com <BR>www.templehouse.ie <BR>www.beourguest.ie <BR>www.family-homes.ie <BR>www.dublinn.com (Kilronan House) <BR>www.castlesireland.com/ <BR>www.gsh.ie <BR>www.irelands-blue-book.ie/ <BR>www.ballymaloe.com <BR>www.irishcountryhousesandcastles.com <BR> <BR>Have a great time, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 02:26 AM
steve

For just winging it, I would recommend you get the B&B book from Town and Country Homes at the Dublin ariport tourist office (or wherever you land in Ireland).

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 06:00 AM
Alan Scott Mikesell

My wife and I were in Ireland in October 1998 and again in March-April 2000. We spent 38 of our 39 days in B&B homes and actually saved a bit of money by paying in Irish punts. The vouchers were never required. B&B homes in the west and the south are less expensive than Dublin or Belfast naturally. The B&B hostess would always inquire of our next stop and offer to call "a friend" to save us a room. It is stress free to know you have a room waiting for you. We were never disappointed by letting our B&B hostess make the arrangements. We traveled the coast from Dublin south to Waterford and accross to Cobh, Kinsale, Bantry, then up through Kerry, Dingle, Killarney, Bunratty, Galway, and Cliften. Contact the Irish Tourist Board and they will mail information to you including the B&B book. Many of the B&B homes have websites so you can check them out before you leave. <BR> <BR>We are returning in May for our third visit, so I will have current data. If you would like any particular village for a suggested B&B or anything else please contact me. Most of all be sure to take time to enjoy the people in Ireland. Do not be in a rush, just enjoy each minute.

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Judi

Charlie, we spent three weeks in Ireland in April, 1999. We had the B&B books from the Irish Tourist Board but we, too, were passed on from one B&B to the next. We were never steered wrong. One very proper lady sent us to our next B&B because it wasn't a "drinking house". If you have never been to Ireland be prepared to fall in love with that country. It rained most of the days we were there but it didn't dampen our enthusiasm for that wonderful, friendly country!