B and B's in Scotland

Search

B and B's in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B and B's in Scotland

I will be in Scotland in July and would like suggestions for nice B and B's in the area between Glasgow and Edinburgh and also northern Scotland.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - any reason you want to stay somewhere <u>between</u> Glasgow and Edinburgh? The 2 cities are only about an hour apart so you don't need to break a journey in between.

And - sorry but &quot;northern Scotland&quot; is an incredibly large area. Where specifically (or semi-specifically) are you planning to go?
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM

I see from some of your other threads that you are planning on Dublin, SW Ireland, Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh and northern Scotland - all in July. How long is your actual trip? You really need about 5 weeks to barely cover that much territory.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Have 5 weeks if necessary. Want to stay between Glasgow and Edinburgh to be able to travel easily to both cities. Thinking of area near Inverness but could go anywhere.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM

Staying between Glasgow and Edinburgh will really not ease your trave to either one. Just stay IN Edinburgh and take a day trip to Glasgow by train.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Not worried about easing our travel. Just don't want to stay in a big city. Would like a B and B in the country so that we could travel to both cities.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM

As others have said from just about every standpoint it makes the most sense to stay in Edinburgh rather than some place between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Edinbugh does not have a &quot;big&quot; city feel. If you want somewhere in Edinburgh with even less of a &quot;city&quot; feel consider Joppa (on the outskirts of the city but only a 10 minute bus ride from downtown). You do not want to try to drive and find parking in downtown Edinburgh. We stayed there in a pleasant B&amp;B called Joppa Turrets right on the beach.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM

website for B&amp;B mentioned in my previous post:
http://www.joppaturrets.demon.co.uk/
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:45 AM

I suppose if you insist on staying outwith the cities you could look at Linlithgow, which is a fairly nice small town (with ruined palace) on the railway line between the two. As others have said, you do *not* want to drive into the cities.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:56 AM

gsidell: You seem to be set on some idea that staying between Edinburgh and Glasgow makes it easier to visit both. That really isn't true. And if you literally mean &quot;between&quot; the two cities - that really isn't a very scenic stretch.

Now you could stay elsewhere - like up in the Trossachs or near Stirling, and be able to take day trips by train into Glasgow or Edinburgh. That would be OK. But I really can't recommend a place between the two cities (except for Linlithgow as Caroline mentions - but if I had to choose between Linlithgow or Edinburgh - it would be Edinburgh 95 times out of 100)

There are MANY other areas where you can stay in a country B&amp;B, but for visiting Edinburgh, one really should stay IN Edinburgh.

If you have been to Scotland before maybe you already know where you want to stay - otherwise, you might want to at least consider the advice you have received . . . .

As for your other question - &quot;near&quot; Inverness would be fine, just not IN Inverness. But there are tons of other areas in the N, NE and NW that might meet your wishes better. Mostly depends on what sites you plan on visiting and how long you have. I know you are splitting your trip between Ireland and Scotland. Will you have a car, or are you taking public transport?
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM

I would tend to agree with the others that you would be better placed staying in either Edinburgh or Glasgow and travelling from there, however if I was choosing somewhere in between I would prefer Stirling as there is more to do and it provides a good location from which you can visit the Trossachs, Loch Lomond etc. There is also a good train service into Edinburgh and Glasgow so this will save you having to drtive in either city.

I am unsure which part of the Highlands you were thinking about but if you wished to stay south of Inverness then have a look at www.glenrowan.co.uk/index.htm
This is near Urquhart Castle and would enable you to travel to the likes of Inverness, Skye and even to the remoter areas around Gairloch and Poolewe. I have heard and read very good reports about it.
If you wish to stay to the north of Inverness then the Eagle Hotel in Dornoch can provide very good B &amp; B and they can also provide apartments. The apartments always give you more freedom to do your own things and I think that that enables people to enjoy their holiday. From Dornoch you can easily travel to Inverness or spend day trips travelling round the North East Coast to places such as ~Wick, John O'Groats (nothing much to see there) and Thurso or the or North West Coast to places such as Durness, Cape Wrath, Kinlochbervie. The scenerey and the deserted beaches can be magnificent but the roads to the North west are problematic as they are in the main single track roads with passing places. You can also visit Harrods - not such a wide range as their London Store but they have a small store / restaurant near Lairg which makes a pleasant change in such a remote area.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM

We stayed in Callendar. We stayed at the Leny Lodge, at their self catering place, but they also have a standard B&amp;B. Nice location, nice owners, nice pub across the street