B & B vouchers? Itinerary?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:56 AM
hiyaguha

B & B vouchers? Itinerary?

We just booked a trip in July that gives us B&B vouchers. The company says that we should book our first night from here in the US. Then, once we're in Ireland, the host of the B&B we stay in asks where we want to go next and tries to reserve another B&B for that night for us. This is the "Country Rover" program (now operating under a new name..I think "Discover Britain"). Does anybody have experience with this system? Will we be able to get reservations on one-night notice in July? Also, how does this itinerary sound, and does anybody have ideas for B&Bs enroute that accept the vouchers? We're thinking of spending our first night near Newgrange, then on to Kilkenny, then to Kinsale, then two nights in Kenmare or Dingle (not sure which), then one night on way back to Dublin airport in Birr or somewhere in the Midlands. Many thanks.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:28 PM
sandra

5 years ago, my husband and i travelled to ireland using the same method, b&b vouchers. we were also there in july and no, we did not have a problem making a reservation on one-night's notice. several timess we'd even call the morning of, and had no problem. you might not get your first choice, but there are so many to choose from. all the b&bs we stayed in were clean, comfortable and charming. you definitely should book your first night in advance AND your last night. the only trouble we had finding a place to stay was our last night. we were leaving from dublin in the morning, and wanted to stay nearby. tina turner happened to be in town and every b&b for miles was booked solid! who knew? anyhow, ireland is wonderful. you'll love it. we thought the southwest was by far the most beautiful area, so plan on spending lots of time there. also, the time we were there (july) was very sunny, in the 70s, with hardly any rain. they called it a heat wave, we thought it was perfect! have a great trip!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:41 AM
mikey

As the previous person said you can always find a place that accepts vouchers but you might run into some problems finding the ideal location/place. Your previous B&b stay will not automatically ask if you want them to call a place in the next town. You might have to ask if they ahve a recommendation there and if they could call for you. Some places will say they are full in the morning since they are hoping to get cash customers even when they have room. Buy an inexpensive phonecard at a grocery store and use it to do your own calling around.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 08:51 AM
xxx

To each his own, but I'd rather spend my time at home in advance booking my accomodations, rather than sitting on a phone half the day calling around to see where I'll sleep that night. A little advance planning will tell you where you want to spend your nights, so why not make the arrangements in advance instead of spending valuable time looking?

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 08:22 AM
hiyaguha

Thank you all for the advice. We've started making calls, and it does seem to be a good idea to book in advance. The first place we contacted was already full!

Any suggestions for good places to stay (that accept vouchers)?

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:32 PM
mikey

As I said earlier, alot of places will say they are full now knowing that they will most likely get a cash customer to come along and fill the space. Good luck. I've only once stayed in a really lousy place so have no fear!!!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Gloria

We visited Ireland last Easter and used B&B vouchers. We booked our B&Bs before we left because it was a Holiday week and because we needed 3 rooms. There was only 1 B&B in Kilkenny that we were disappointed in (cobwebs, very noisy running toilets) but the rest were wonderful. We are returning next August and plan on pre-booking again since it's high season and we'll need three romms again..

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Meghan

We were very happy with these B&Bs last May. They accept vouchers.
Tralee-Sineads (spectacular)
Killarney-Northwood House
We also stayed at Tir Na Nog in Kilkenny which could have used some refurbishment.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:35 PM
rebecca

We went thru sceptre tours "towne & country". It was an upgrade of about 32 US dollars per person. We never had a problem finding B&Bs using the book they provided. We did book the first couple and last couple nights ahead of time and were happy we did.
I would also book weekends in advance because os the Irish weekending.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Dee

In Ireland last month - we had 12 nights in B and B's. They are fantastic. Booked all of them on line prior to trip so that I did not need to fret about it and had a great selection of the "better" ones. Remember to get ensuite or you will not have a private bathroom. If you stay near Trim, there is a B and B called "Cranmore House" that was lovely, and on in Kilkenny called "Dunromin" where the hosts were incredible. Go to web site if you don't have the Town and country book "Tandchomes.com"
Dee

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Hiyaguha

Thank you all for your responses. We decided to spend only one night in Kenmare, and the next in Castlegregory, based on what I've read. Unfortunately, the B&Bs recommended here were all booked (Crannmore in Trim--Thanks, Dee), but these are the places we found (Any feedback would be much appreciated:

Trim -- Tigh Cathane
Kilkenny -- Moonarch
Kinsale/Clonakilty--Ard na Greine
Kenmare -- White Heather Farm
Castelgregory--Beenoske
Birr -- Minnocks Farm House

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:14 AM
marylouise

If you are in Castlegregory....don't miss Conor Pass and Slea Head Drive. We also enjoyed exploring the "less talked about" and more remote Brandon and Cloghane. There is a beautiful overlook and hiking trail near Brandon Head.I think it was a small pub in Cloghane....behind the "post office" (which is acutally a window in a small variety store)...where you could watch the sunset over Brandon Bay. Incredible beauty!
We booked a week in a cottage in Castlegregory as well as 3 B&B's over the internet and/or phone. They were all quite favorable experiences. All the planning was ,to me , almost as much fun as the trip. It gave some structure to our trip,we investigated ideas for food and sightseeing in the areas we would be staying. We carried that list of possibilities with us and did them as our pace and mood allowed. We didn't do everything but also didn't waste time looking for places when we were ready to do the next thing....whether that was sleeping, eating, or sightseeing. We also ,of course, did things that we just happened upon. You'll have a wonderful time. We can't wait to go again!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:10 AM
rachael

Mary Louise:

What are some of the resources you used to make up your "list" of places to eat, stay, things to do and see??? I would love if you would share your knowledge!!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 05:50 PM
Hiyaguha

Hi Rachel,

For places to stay, I started with the book of B&Bs provided by our tour operator. They are the "Discover B&Bs." The booklet had only minimal information and a microscopic picture of each B&B, so I then went onto Google.com and typed in the names of those places that looked promising in the book to see if I could find more information. Of course, that means that I might have overlooked great places that didn't have web sites, but it did allow for some screening. As for places to visit, I went to the library and took out every book on Ireland they had. Plus, I cruised web sites like this one. Then, I bought a few current guidebooks to keep (Fodors, Frommers, and Rick Steves--each good in its own way). Lots of work. Let me know how it goes for you.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Claudia

I would recommend visiting the AA website - http://www.theaa.com/getaway/index.html

I used this site exclusively to book our B&Bs when we went to Ireland in 2000. For the most part, you can contact the establishments by email. I liked having a confirmed place to stay so I didn't need to worry about the time I got to each town.

Keep in mind, it stays light out until 10pm in the summer there, so your sense of time gets away from you.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:12 AM
marylouise

Hi
Sorry to answer so late....haven't cruised the forum for a few days!
The lists I made were compiled during the time I was planning the trip.
I used travel books...some I bought and some I borrowed. I spent time reading posts on forums....this one, Pat Preston's, Rick Steves, (Frommers didn't have much),Michelle's irelandyes,etc. I'd check all these out off and on while keeping a notebook at my side. I'd jot down recommendations of various things that were mentioned frequently by different people or that just sounded special. I divided the notebook into columns (eating,museums, natural sites, good weather activiites, bad weather activies, kid stuff, etc) for each area we planned to be in. Some of the recommendations could be further researched on the web (admission price, time of operation). I typed out my whole itinerary with the possible activites listed, also, and took it with me wherever we went. This process may sound too time consuming to some. It did take time but I found it fun and helpful. We used it successfully and also left things to chance that we just happened upon. Nothing was written in stone that we HAD to do but we also never wasted anytime searching for anything unless we wanted to!
Have fun!
marylouise