Search

B&Bs in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2017, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&Bs in Ireland

I am just starting the planning of a trip to Ireland in Sept. I would prefer to not prebook hotels but to just stop at B&Bs along the way so we can maximize flexibility. Is this doable or is it difficult to find B&Bs with openings? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 11:37 AM

Usually if a host/hostess has no availability they can make a call to a friend in the area. There is an informal association. And the tourist bureaus in each area can give a recommendation; I believe there is a small fee for this.

That said, do you want to waste precious vacation time hunting for accommodation? I prefer to have my B&Bs booked in advance. But that is just my preference; you may feel entirely different.

Enjoy Ireland!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 11:46 AM

We didn't bother to book B&Bs and had no trouble finding places, nor did we feel we wasted valuable time in finding them.

You could always search online for a few in the areas you are hoping to visit before you go and save them to your phone or print them out, then contact them when you know you will be in that area.

Always good to book the first and last nights somewhere though!
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 10:26 PM

I'm pretty much with hetismij2. I like to book 1st and Last nights for sure.

Assuming it's not height of Summer, and I don't have a favorite B&B, I'll leave most nights open and do what hetismij2 mentions - research a few acceptable looking options for the various locations I plan to visit, and will make a few quick phone calls ahead of time.

Not booking everything allows me some flexibility if I decide to move on earlier or later than planned. Staying a bit longer could bump you into a full booking situation, but most B&B owners will help you out finding another good spot. (There's always the Tourist Office to help find a place in a pinch.)

I'll be there mid-Sept - maybe see you then
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 06:38 AM

Up until this year I have had no problems sourcing B&B accommodation on the day. This year has been a pain trying to find accommodation for people using accommodation on my list.

As a Couple, or Single you will always find a room. It might not be as central as you want, might not even be in the town you want if there is a festival or event on. If a single traveller finding a room without single supplement could be a problem.

Standard Formula:
Book the 1st and last nights. Pin a Michelin 712 map on an empty wall. Decide any must see places and pin them. work out some stepping stones(towns) on a rough route. get a list of 3 guest houses and 1 hotel for these potential places. email the hotels and ask if there are (1) any events or festivals locally on your possible dates. (2) if the hotel is doing any special offers on your possible dates. Talk to your host and ask in the local pub what's worth seeing. Phone ahead at breakfast for the evening accommodation. Only book one night at once, if the place is good or there's things to do and see within a 30mile radius book an extra night.

Tourist information (if there is one) has a list of accommodation and will book it for you. I try to avoid getting to this stage as whilst they will in general always find you a room they may well not be the rooms you would chose given a wider choice, Far better too plan yourself or arm yourself with a few contact numbers for self selected options.

Of course you don't have to visit every place on your list but having a few numbers is better than knocking on doors ..

Clifden Arts week is always worth a look in September and Clifden is a great base for Connemara with lots of Accommodation options.
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input. I always do book first and last nights but I really prefer the rest of the trip to be flexible. Great idea to have several places in mind for each location. I appreciate all the great information I get from this site!