B&B near the coast in Provence

Feb 19th, 2004, 12:56 AM
PJI
Original Poster

B&B near the coast in Provence

We will be traveling from Sicily to Spain (via costal autostrada) the first week of April. We want to stop in Provence and spend 2 or 3 days on the way. Would like a nice inexpensive B&B thats easy to find and easy to use as a base for seeing other towns in Provence (Nice, Cannes, Aix, Eze, etc). We can book something now or should we just "wing it" and try to find a hotel when we get somewhere around there?
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:51 AM

If you run a search "Provence B&Bs" you should find some more posts. I've also looked at the Gites de France website (B&Bs are also called "chambres d'hote), www.avignon-et-provence.web and www.stopoverconnections.com. All of these websites I found using the Fodor's travel forums.
Feb 19th, 2004, 03:01 AM
PJI
Original Poster

Thanks Gill. I searched the forum prior to posting. I was hoping for more first hand accounts and also places that weren't quite as expensive as some listed. We were hoping to stay around 65/75 Euro per night. I will check out the websites though. Thanks.
Feb 19th, 2004, 05:17 AM

We're looking to go in mid-March (leaving it a bit late, I know!) in the same area so I thought I'd pass along the websites I liked. The Gites de France website had the best prices. Most of the prices I've seen for the 2 and 3 "ears" B&Bs run between 50-90 euros/night. www.gites-de-france.fr/eng . I wish I could pass on some first-hand info . I have been to Aix-en-Provence and found it to be handy for day-trips into the Luberon, etc. It has a nice, small town feel to it but with all the amenities of a larger city. There is also a great Saturday market around the Palais de Justice.
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:20 PM
PJI
Original Poster

I'll check that website, thanks Gill. Anyone else have any recommendations?
Feb 21st, 2004, 03:34 AM

Greetings,

We stayed in the most delightful spot last year in Mougins, outside of Cannes and near all the spots u mention. If u r 2 people, or perhaps a family of 3, I recommend most highly Domaine des Roses. It is located in a private residential area, a lovely home with swimming pool, beautiful bath, gorgeous breakfast--we had to beg her not to bring so much--a coffee maker and mini fridge in the private hallway and a king size bed. There is a second bedroom with a small double where we stored our luggage and could be used for a child or other family member.Could not have been more lovely and very reasonable. The people were the most lovely--only one guest group at a time--it is in a separate area of a beautiful private home with a gorgeous yard.
http://www.bbfrance.com/pinazo.html

Hope that helps.

Take care,
Robyn France
Feb 21st, 2004, 09:57 AM

Try looking at www.likhome.com lots of private B & B's in Provence etc. Last year we stayed at L'Oustalounet between Cagnes sur Mer and Haut Cagnes 70 euros per night. It was perfectly adequate, room was large, clean, good shower (W.C. was across the hall but was just for our use only, large terrace. It was family run, only the son spoke English but parents made a good effort and we had a laugh with them. Garden was great with nice pool but we found breakfast not very good. Cagnes sur Mer is easy to get to other spots in the area and has a good train connection. Some of the other properties on this web site look very nice. Good luck.
Feb 21st, 2004, 12:36 PM

Sorry web site is www.likhom.com not www.likhome.com
Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:57 AM
PJI
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. Robyn, did you have any trouble finding the B&B? I am going to email them now and find out if they have something available the nights we will be there. Appreciate everyones help.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:21 AM

Hi --they sent very explicit directions and it is a little tricky the first time around--but the directions were perfect and we had no problems. I speak fluent French so I am not sure how much English Maryvonne speaks--although I know she has some--we only spoke French and she had lots of good ideas for restaurants (reasonable ones) and always had good directions.

I hope they have availability for you--it is really a little paradise--we came back early each afternoon so we could sit out in the back garden and read and relax.

Good luck,
Robyn France