B & B Gli Angeli in Venice/location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found this B & B in Venice that looks very nice and reasonably priced for my 3 sisters and I. My only concerns are the location and no canal view? We like go out and "wander" at night - is this close enough to St. Mark's square to walk (and safe enough?) Would you recommend it? So small I can not find it on tripadvisor and other sources. Thanks so much!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:13 AM

If you could tell us where it is to be found, it would be much easier to help you...
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

The area is called Castello - I do not have an address, I was hopeful someone had stayed there and knows the area.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Julieann-this B and B is perfectly fine-it is near Arsenale, which was the famous and ancient Venetian shipyard of the 14-1500's-and there is also a vaporetto stop here that will take you all the way up the Grand Canal and back down. It's located in a very Venetian neighborhood-via Garibaldi nearby-where there are all sorts of good local Venetian bacarie, trattorie where you can enjoy mingling with the locals, and getting a taste of authentic Venetian life-a lot of gondoliere live in this area, because it is away from San Marco, yet close enough for them to go to work there.

St. Mark's Square is about a 10 minute walk up the beautiful waterfront area of the Riva degli Schiavone-you can walk this entire area at night with no fear-I certainly have many a time. And not to worry about the canal view-Venice is a city of canals and water, so obviously, you don't have to go far for that! I actually prefer staying (I rent apts. when I stay in Venice) in a lively campo filled with Venetian life, than being on a canal, I feel more like a local. Your B&B is away from the tourists, yet, you can walk right into the thick of things at San Marco as you wish.

The B&B is located on Campo Tana, in Castello.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thaks so much - this is just the info I was looking for! We are really getting excited - looks like a wonderful place!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM

I stayed at this B&B in October 2003 with two girlfriends and thought it was great. The area is nice, quiet and locals actually live there. We came back late at night and wandered around and never felt unsafe. Its just a few minutes walk from a vapretto stop too and except for one brige you won't have to haul your luggage around too far (at least that's what I remember). The walk to St Mark's square was maybe 10 minutes or so.

The apartment itself was very nice and a good deal for Venice. It has a large main room with a double (probably king size) bed, a small bedroom with two twins and a good sized kitchen. There really isn't a living room. The owner, Sonia, was really nice and very helpful with suggestions of where to go.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 02:12 PM

julieann,

We stayed there just a couple of weeks ago. It has not changed since Callk's stay in 2003. The room we had looked out onto the square on on side (no traffic, of course) and on to a small garden out the back.

We found it easy to get around from there. We caught the #1 Vapparato from the train station, and got off at Arsenale. You pass St. Mark's Square on the way, so you can judge how far the walk would be. When you get off at Arsenale, turn right and go over the bridge. The steps won't be a problem with your suitcases, as they have installeed ramps, I assume for handicapped access, so you can jue roll them over. Turn left, and walk along the canal for about 50 yards and turn right the first place you can. The door is right there.

We often were lazy, and instead of walking to St. Marks, we would just wait for the Vaparrato -- never more than about ten minutes, hop aboard and you are there. Same for most of the sites, just get your route map, and you will soon see how easy it is.

We walked there at all hours with no problem.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 02:40 PM

In case anyone else wants to see this place, the URL is: http://tinyurl.com/w2rxj

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:10 PM

I happened to check on the web site and was surprised to see that the apartment (or Suite Oro) only sleeps three now. Looks like she took out one of the twin beds in the bedroom which seems odd. Has anyone out there stayed at Gli Angeli lately and does it really only sleep 3? Just curious.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:35 PM

We were there just a few weeks ago. My SIL used that room, so my memory of it is a bit dim, but I seem to recall that there were two beds in the room -- sort of lined up head to foot. I could be mistaken, so I will ask SIL tomorrow and get back to you.

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:08 PM

My DW just returned from a play in Seattle, and her recollection matches mine, i.e., there were two smaller beds in the second bedroom of the Oro room in the Gli Angeli.

There was a nice sized, and comfortable, queen bed in our room, so I don't know why Sonja says the place "-- can sleep up to three guests -- " It can accomodate four quite nicely.

Oh by the way, the term B&B used for the Gli Angeli is a notional term. Sonja does not serve breakfast. There are packets of things one could eat for breakfast, laid out on the kitchen table, but we found it much easier to walk across the bridge to a cafe for coffee and a roll.

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Thanks nukesafe. That's exactly how I remember that room - the twin beds lined up head to foot. I thought it was so strange that she would take one of the beds out. Guess they just made a mistake on the web site.

Julieann, if you do end up stayting there, I hope you enjoy as much as we did. We thought it was great (especially for the price).
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:44 AM

Forgot to add....we booked through them directly, didn't go through an agency, and got a better rate. You might want to email Sonia and see if that's still the case. Here's another web site: http://www.gliangeli.net/home_en.htm.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:18 PM

CollK,

Just to finish this, I just got a response from my SIL:

"There were 2 single beds. Headboard to headboard. 1 facing the window and 1
facing the door with the dual reading light above. Lovely Linens."

Sliding doors isolated the two bedrooms, with the bath and kitchen a few steps down the corridor.

Have a great trip!