Reload this Page >

B&B and trains in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:36 PM
mike

We will be in Ireland for 5-6days in August. I do not care to drive and would appreciate any recommendations for staying two nights in Dublin and then using the train to get to other spots with easy access to B&B. Thanks for you help <BR> <BR>Mike

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 01:01 PM
danna

mike, consider using the bus lines. Gives you more options on destinations, cheaper and more chance to visit with folks. we stayed at Stauntons on Green, on southside of stephens green, it was a great guesthouse. Have fun!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Dave

Mike, <BR> <BR>As Danna mentioned, train service is quite limited in Ireland, as you can see from the route map (www.irishrail.ie). Also, many routes radiate from Dublin, so connecting secondary cities can require significant backtracking. <BR> <BR>With only 6 days, you might consider either: <BR>1) spending all your time in Dublin and taking day tours by coach from there (CIE has some decent tours from Dublin to Newgrange, Glendalough, etc.) <BR> <BR>2) taking the train from Dublin to Galway, where you can take day-tours of Connemara, The Burren (incl. Cliffs of Moher), and possibly spend a day on Inishmore, using the ferry service from Galway. (Look for information on Lally Tours and Island Ferries). <BR> <BR>Six days doesn't give you a lot of time for rambling about either by car or bus, so I think one of the above itineraries would offer an efficient use of your limited time. <BR> <BR>Dave

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Cathy

Mike, <BR>Check out www.cie for link to all the public transport countryside and in the cities in Ireland. There is also a section that deals with day trips etc, <BR> <BR>Have a great time, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Marcos Velez

If you want good info on what to do while in Ireland, look no further than http://www.local.ie It is a great source of information on any and all Counties that make up Ireland. If you can make it to Kilkenny (South-West of Dublin), make sure you visit the Castle. It is majestic. The Cliffs of Moher (West Coast) is an excellent sight. Glendalough (South of Dublin) is neat. I didnt enjoy Galway (West of Dublin), but most people seem to love it. <BR> <BR>As for getting around in mass transport, I cant really help you. I rented a car during my visits. It was fun AND very interesting. <BR> <BR>Marcos