Self Drive B&Bs

Jan 30th, 2001, 11:42 AM
don

Self Drive B&Bs

We are going to Ireland in May through CIE tours.
Has anyone else had any experience with this outfit? As far as accomodations we opted for the B&B vouchers. Has anyone used these? Any nice places you can recommend that accepts these? Also, what are the additional charges to upgrade to hotels and castles? We will be there for 12 nights, mostly on the West.

Thanks in advance,
Don

Jan 30th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Patrick

Take this with a grain of salt as I don't use B&B's, but friends did a voucher thing in Ireland, for which they paid about $75 each for a number of vouchers and were given a list of places that took them. They were happy with the places, except that at a number of towns (no pre-booking) it took several stops to find a B&B on the list with a vacancy. But when they talked with other people there, they found that most people had just arrived, paid cash, and gotten their rooms for about half of what they had paid for their vouchers. If you are not prebooking the B&B's, I have no idea what good the vouchers are. When you arrive and there is a vacancy, you can probably get the room for cast for less than the vouchers. The vouchers do nothing to help assure you of a room unless you prebook.

Jan 30th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Howard

Hello - I agree 100%with the above poster. The vouchers are very popular for trips to Ireland, but as far as I can tell, they serve no real purpose. The costs are up to 50% more than paying cash, often places taking vouchers are filled up when plenty of other equally nice places are vacant, tho the number of places that take any particular voucher in a particular town may seem like a lot, they often pale to the number in total that are available. If you want to prebook, this can be accomplished as easily without the vouchers as with.

Jan 30th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Cathy

Don,
CIE are one of the long established operators in the Irish tour scene - they are also the umbrella company for all national public transport and Dublin city transport. There has been many discussions re to go with the vouchers or not on this board with most people opting not to as it restricts where they can stay. Either way have a great time and post if you have any questions,

Cathy

Jan 30th, 2001, 12:32 PM
herself

Don,
Check with CIE about the vouchers. See if they are good at B&B's listed in the Town and Country HOmes Association or the Irish Farm House. If so, they should send you the book ahead of time so that you can make you selections. Book those in towns like Galway or Dingle ahead of time.

Jan 30th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Patrick

Following the above post by "herself", after you've gotten the book and chosen your B&B's, call or fax the places directly and book with them. But this is suggested ONLY if you like to save money. If you like spending money unnecessarily, then by all means still buy the vouchers and prebook.

Jan 30th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Marcos Velez

I have never used the "vouchers", but I cant imagine saving any money with them...Every time I have been to B&B in Ireland I paid in cash for what I considered to be amzinlg low rates. Examples:
we stayed at what I consider to be one of the best B&B's I have ever visited in my whole life and only paid 25 pounds p/p per night. That included a room that was nice and clean, a really nice bathroom and an incredible breakfast. (Norebridge House, Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny)

We also stayed at a great B&B in Dingle for which we paid 160 pounds for 2 nights (3 people in 2 bedrooms), so we each paid about 25 pounds p/p per night and it also boasted some great facilities (and views!). (Greenmount House, Dingle, Co. Kerry)

Unless you are paying less than 25 pounds p/p per night, I would say nix the vouchers and do your own bookings. If you need good local info, use http://www.local.ie

Enjoy Ireland,
Marcos