Azores or Canary Islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I are planning a trip for this summer and would love some advice on if we should head to the Azores or Canary Islands. We love natural beauty, old world authentic charming towns, swimming great food. We don't like built up, very touristy locations. Which area would be most recommended? And which islands within?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 01:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Azores win hands down. Which one, well it really depends on how much time you are investing. I've cycled over three and I chose them just by the ease of finding a ferry.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 02:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Canaries aren't really old and authentic. Mass tourism has spoiled the larger islands like Tenerife and Gran Canaria and although Fuerteventura is less busy, Lanzarote is a touch more so. The smaller islands of La Gomera, La Palma and El Hierro might fit your bill.

The Azores are lovely islands and not over touristed, but are becoming more popular as time goes by. If you are limited on time, then stick to the central group of islands of Faial, Pico, Sao Jorge, Santa Cruz and Terceira, this last has a world heritage site at Angra. You can either ferry or fly between these islands which is a short hop. The Northern group and Southerly group are a bit too far for a couple of weeks or less. There's a great walk from the top of the (extinct) volcano on Sao Jorge which takes several hours but has spectacular views.

We stayed on Terceira just above Angra and on Faial in the Pousada in Horta, both recommended as destinations.
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, this is really helpful!
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 05:02 AM

The Azores are less touristy. You mentioned trying to stay away from that. And it's really easy to hop the ferry between islands, so you can really see a lot in the amount of time you are there!