Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Away from Olympic Tourist Mayhem in London

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am heading to London for 30 days during the Olympics. I'll be there for business, but want to find some fun as well. Of course, I'd like suggestions for hidden gems and locals hangouts. I'm sure the masses will eventually find these places as well, but I would like to beat them to the punch and enjoy these gems before they all arrive. Thanks!!!
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 03:25 AM

Some ideas:

Certain Pubs in the City (surprising lack of tourists)
http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thew...ndcourtlondon/

http://www.shepherdneame.co.uk/pub/m...lers-head.aspx

Good curry: http://www.bengalclipper.co.uk/

Good pub in Shad Thames: http://thedeanswift.com/

Hampstead village is nice and a bit out of the way of the usual tourists...
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 04:42 AM

I wouldn't worry, London hotel bookings are reportedly down over the Olympics period.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM

And with people at the various Olympic venues for much of the day then they can't be visiting the attractions
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 10:30 AM

The things worth doing are no different during the Olympics than the rest of the year - only there'll be fewer people visiting most attractions (the Olympics are miles from the centre)

Londoners use a decent guide book to check on anything they've not seen recently: any decent bookshop will have dozens. We also buy Time Out every week to see what's on.

No-one on this board has anything remotely resembling the knowledge or writing skill of the combined Time Out editorial team. Just buy it and read it.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:01 AM

A sudden burst of modesty from flanneruk, wrapped around some doubtless good advice.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM

I am noting jamikins' pub recs, though.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM

www.beerintheevening.com
www.fancyapint.com
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jamikins and PatrickLondon!!!! Sometimes, one great suggestion can make a trip experience memorable. I will certainly check out yours. MY suggestion to anyone with negative advice and nothing to add to a conversation should suppress the urge to chime in.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 12:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you have the odd hour, the Temple is very pleasant - go to Temple tube station and walk east into the Temple, or get the no 11 bus to Fleet Street, get off at Temple bar, and turn south towards the river through one of the gates into the Inns - Inner and Middle Temple. they both have lovely halls [middle Temple Hall saw the first performance of Twelfth Night] and there is the Temple Church of course.

time your visit for the lunch hour/s and you can walk around Inner Temple garden, which to judge by the pictures I've seen of it should be looking lovely.

if you are interested in the law at all, an hour or two in the Royal Courts of Justice over the road from the Inns might prove rewarding.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 01:49 PM

I should probably kill you if I tell you this, but running down from Great Tower St, not far from the Tower of London, is St Dunstan's Hill - and off it stand the ruins of St Dunstan's Church, now a peaceful garden, and a quiet oasis.

If you haven't already seen it, Postman's Park, between St Paul's and the Museum of London, is another similar option.
http://autolycus-london.blogspot.co....uiet-spot.html
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 02:28 PM

<<MY suggestion to anyone with negative advice and nothing to add to a conversation should suppress the urge to chime in.>>

Quit whinging. You actually received good advice wrapped in a tone that wasn't concierge-level friendly. Deal with the substance not the manner of the advice.

In other words, the TimeOut guide for London should give you some very good tips . . .

(and yes, I actually took up for flanner . . . then again flanner's US ignorance wasn't on display this time).
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Exactly. Still not sure what "negative advice" is, but there was nothing negative about the advice given.

And, in spite of chiming in when requested to keep my opinions to myself, Time Out really does offer the best possible information on London.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM

Patrick, I will review your excellent blog before our trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM

We've gotten to the door of Middle Hall on two different trips, only to be turned away by the porter for being the wrong time. It is lovely back there as annhig says.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Sorry, I meant above we were trying to see the 1602 Twelfth Night debut hall at Middle Temple. It was still fun sitting outside under the trees and imagining the hall lit within for the play.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 03:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>MY suggestion to anyone with negative advice and nothing to add to a conversation should suppress the urge to chime in.</i>"

That is just plain silly. Utterly!

First of all the advice was not negative - was very accurate/useful. Secondly, if only Pollyanna/positive comments are allowed, you'll miss a lot of important info/advice.

(and thirdly - you'll need a thicker skin if you hope to enjoy visiting the UK)
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again, Patrick and Annhig. Your first hand suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 10:52 PM

If you want the worlds best curry and are near Heathrow try Ma Mas Nepalese Restaurant in Hounslow - the curry will literally blow your mind. That said, I can think of no other reason to visit Hounslow, so may not be worth the effort. Borough market (Southbank) is busy regardless of tourists - but it was a great find for me.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 06:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Stoke - I'm very sorry that you missed the opportunity to see inside Middle Temple Hall.

if you imagine an oxbridge college dining room alla Morse, or Harry Potter, you'll get the idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -