Reload this Page >

Avoir, Ciao, Auf Weidersein......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 12:00 PM
Grasshopper

Off to Paris, where we're staying in a hotel some of you have trashed, eating at a restaurant we've been called pretentious for visiting, listening to both Vivaldi AND Gospel at Sainte Chappelle, shopping, eating, drinking and dancing in a cave, ice skating at Hotel de Ville, touring Versailles, Louvre-ing and Orsay-ing, and toasting the New Year at Place de Concorde. May everyone have a happy, healthy, safe, sane Holiday. See you in 2002!

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 12:27 PM
Book Chick

Grasshopper, your identity is still unknown, but I believe you to be a female from California. No matter who you are, I wish you a "Bon Voyage, Joyeaux Noel, & Bonne Annee"! See you on the flip side in 2002, hopefully prior to my departure for Rome & I'm looking forward to your trip report.<BR><BR>Best Wishes,<BR>BC

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 12:46 PM
MaryC

Patience, Grasshopper!<BR><BR>You will attain the fun & revelrey you seek, if you seek far and wide.<BR><BR>Joyeaux Noelle! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! : )

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 01:37 PM
Surlok

Grasshoper,<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>I wish you all the best, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year or<BR>Joyeux No&euml;l , et un tr&eacute;s Bonne Ann&eacute;e!<BR><BR>Cheers, Sant&eacute;,<BR><BR>Surlok

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 03:49 PM
Rex

Surlok - - you came SO close - - and tried so hard to be linguistically and orthographically correct. You got the feminine right for bonNE ann&eacute;e - - but then forgot to say unE - - instead of un.<BR><BR>But, meilleurs voeux - - all the same...<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 03:55 PM
xxx

Dear G'hopper<BR><BR>Look at the title of your post. If you say "avoir" instead of "au revoir," you'll be saying "to have." You may get some puzzled looks over there.<BR><BR>Bon voyage

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 04:05 PM
Rex

It IS a potentially confusing header though understandable, since "oh ruh-vwar" is almost never enunciated that clearly - - more like "oh-vwar" or "aw-vwar" (not really "ah-vwar" - - like the verb &lt;&lt;avoir&gt;&gt; is pronounced).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 04:09 PM
Surlok

Rex, indeed! I wrote in French, but probably had the Portuguese expression -um bom ano- which is masculine, in mind when I typed, hence, I mixed up languages and genders, even though both words "bonne" ( for the equivalent masculine bon) and ann&eacute;e are feminine in French. My fault.<BR><BR>However, it's Christmas time. Let's be generous and forget the little typos or spelling mistakes.;-)<BR><BR>Anyway, I'll try to do better next time.<BR><BR>I extend my wishes to you,<BR><BR>Surlok

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 04:17 PM
MaryC

Oops sorry. JOYEUX NOEL. I was tired and not paying attention. <BR><BR>I find I get less and less sleep around the holidays. Hmmm.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 04:26 PM
mark

Grasshopper- <BR>Kellemes karacsonyt.<BR><BR>Boldog uj evet.<BR><BR>Have some creamy grulee and a creepy for me. Mon dieu!

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 12:12 AM
Florence

Mary, you shouldn't have corrected your Joyeaux No&euml;l. Managing to combine a "jewelly" (joyau = jewell) and "merry" (joyeux) Christmas in a single word shows your generosity ...<BR><BR>Joyeux No&euml;l, Bonne et Heureuse Ann&eacute;e &agrave; tous.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 01:17 AM
Sally

And Auf WiederSEHEN!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 05:53 AM
MaryC

Thank you, Florence. You are so kind.<BR><BR>A Jewelly Merry Christmas to you! : )

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 07:20 AM
NYer

To all of you, especially Grasshopper, who should be guaranteed a great holiday---Happy Holidays from New York, where they just say " Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!" :0)

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 07:37 AM
mimi taylor

this cicada wishes you, grasshopper to have a wonderful Christmas. Nice to be away from the spelling police and the language experts. Want to hear all about the hotel and restaurant from one who has really been there.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 07:57 AM
JennyG.

Likewise. Merry Christmas to all.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 08:44 AM
Joanne

Grasshopper:<BR><BR>(Always reminds me of Kung Fu the old TV show.) Have the best trip ever! Enjoy your "trashed" hotel, be arrogant in the "pretentious" restaurant. Do whatever you wish to enjoy yourself. Happy Holidays and forget the "French lessons." Will await your trip report and in the meantime dream about our departure in May to Italy!<BR><BR>j

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 10:59 PM
MaryC

Topping for Grasshopper's return...<BR><BR>Could we have some MORE, please?!?

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Harzer

Cheer up Rex!<BR><BR>The responses you got to your efforts to bring a bit of class to this forum make you wonder why these people travel. It's certainly not to broaden the mind, more likely to broaden the backside.<BR><BR>Why are these people so dumb that they can't see that this sort of linguistic incompetence and impertinence simply reinforces the widely held belief that Americans are a bunch of overpaid condescending cultural rednecks.<BR><BR>Avoir et joyeaux nouveau annie<BR>Harzer

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 10:45 AM
John G

Darling, if you have a broad backside, just start sticking your finger down your throat and take some diet pills. If that doesn't work try lipo, it is a viable alternative these days.<BR><BR>I don't know about you, but I only travel to shop and pick up sailors in train stations.<BR><BR>See you at Miu Miu or under the stairs by the loo. Chow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -