Avoiding Crowds at Italy's Top Spots

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the title of this post is a bit of a contradiction, but I am working on planning a trip to Italy this September, and I know that there are certain days and times of day that the top destinations are less crowded.

For example, to climb to the top of the Duomo in Florence, I hear the best time to go is first thing in the morning when lines are the shortest. Conversely, the last time I was in Italy, the line to get into the Vatican/Sistine Chapel was half the length in the afternoon than it was in the morning. I will certainly plan to buy tickets in advance to any of the places we can, but I was wondering was tips Fodorites might have for the following hot spots:

FLORENCE:
Accademia *
Uffizi *
Any other churches and museums in Florence that usually have a line to get in?

ROME:
The Vatican/Sistine Chapel *
The Colosseum *
The Pantheon

VENICE:
Any general suggestions?

* I believe tickets can be purchased in advance for places that I have marked with an asterisk.

Thanks for any tips. I have just really started to plan our daily agenda and I appreciate any advice.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM

You are right, first and, to a point, last is best in all these locations - first is better so you don't have to rush before closing, of course, and because you are still fresh.
Once the busloads of daytrippers and tours arrive, it gets crowded. Most of those are still at breakfast or rolling towards the targets when they open, so be first and you're in.

That's true for the big targets in Venice also.

In Venice, with the help of a little compass you should remember to bring from home (just any 3-dollar model from K-Mart's sports section will do) and a really good map, you should walk walk walk, and not just along the death march route that the busload millions take from the bridge by the station via the Rialto bridge to San Marco.

Instead, find your own route, even if you get a little sidetracked now and then. You'll make lots of discoveries that way.

Early mornings, like sunrise at San Marco Square and the nearby waterfront, are magical, you have the city to yourself! And after dinner it gets quiet, too.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks DalaiLlama,

The tip about the compass in Venice is a fabulous one.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 10:23 AM
ira

Hi L,

>VENICE:
Any general suggestions?<

Don't plan it too much. Venice is full of lots of out-of-the-way places that you find by accident.

Get up early and watch them set up the fish market near the Rialto.

I would do the Accademia in the morning and the Uffizi in the late afternoon.

We had reservations for the Uffizi for around 11:00 and had to wait for a bus tour that was allowed in ahead of us.

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Our first visit to Italy was in September, 2007. No matter when you go, it is busy. I was intelligent enough to pay a few extra dollars and pre-book the Museums at the Vatican, the Colosseum, Accademia in Florence, Uffizi, Doge's Palace in Venice, and Basillica San Marco. The Pantheon was the only one that did not really call for an appointment. I am not sure that you can pre-book there. We were at the Vatican around 11:30 and the line was 4 hours long. With our tour pre-booked, we walked right in. Everywhere we made reservations, this was the case. We are headed back this year (Sept) and will be doing the same thing. It takes the pain of waiting in long lines in the heat of Rome so worth it. I used a site called www.selectitaly.com. They have changed somethings about visits to the Vatican since 2007 but I will find a way to circumvent the line.

I would recommend looking at the websites for the places directly before using any booking agency. You might be able to do it directly now and avoid additional charges.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM

There is no line-up for the Pantheon. It's free and people wander in at will.

Colosseum line-ups? I've never seen them, though they may occur....
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM

The highlights of Italy are best seen before 10:00 and after 16:00 to avoid the dreaded tour bus crowds.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 03:31 PM

A good time to go to the Pantheon is around 9am on weekdays, far less crowded.

As to the colosseum, the line for tickets can be over an hour long. That is why you should get your ticket at the palatine offices or through something like the Roma Pass.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:13 PM

I went to Florence in May a few years ago and went to the Uffizi twice around 4:30 or 5 PM and both times there were only a handful of people ahead of me in the ticket line. Another bonus was that there were relatively few group tours still there that late in the afternoon.

I walked by the duomo around 8:30 AM when it first opens and there was no line at all to walk up to the dome. (I don't know how people manage to walk up all those stairs during later in the day when it's so crowded - it's such a narrow space in the first place and there are sooo many stairs.)
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in Venice in November 2007, and walked right into the Basilica and the Palace without queueing. There were crowds on the Rialto and in St. Mark's Square, especially after about 10:00 or so, but other parts of town were quiet. I took a Streetwise map and never had trouble finding my way around.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Hi lightfoot33 - I am going to the places thus your blog has been so useful to me. Quick questions too fodor's bloggers - I am going to visit all these places in late March/early April. Do you think it's necessary to pre-purchase? I figured this time period is not high season. Appreciate your input!
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM

You can avoid crowds at St. Mark's by going to the Mass- check the times on a sign by the side door (on the left side if you are facing St. Mark's. If you go to Mass on Sunday, then all the beautiful red glass chandeliers are lighted. I love to be in St. Mark's during a service seeing the building used as it was meant to be used. And with no crowd.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. It sounds like first thing in the morning, or towards the end of the day is the way to go at many of the places... And book ahead when possible!
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Saraho wrote: "You can avoid crowds at St. Mark's by going to the Mass..."

Please don't do so unless you go as a worshipper.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:28 PM

"Please don't do so unless you go as a worshipper." Why on earth not? I sometimes go to Evensong in English cathedrals, and to Christmas Eve mass in Catholic churches, although I'm totally not a believer. Provided I behave respectfully, and stand up and sit down at the right times, why on earth should it make any difference to anybody?
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:32 PM

I don't see what's wrong with attending a mass as long as one is polite and respectful.

Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM

"Polite and respectful" includes the idea that you do not attend a religious service in order to see the place where the service is conducted.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Of course, if you're that persnickety, you could advocate letting in no-one but "believers" at any time, as is done in some Muslim countries. I bet you'd have a real hard time from my behavior determining whether I was a believer, and whether I was "overly" interested in the architecture. Actually, I understand that attendance is really falling off in European churches - they should be glad of the extra bodies!
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM

I'm not "persnickety"; I simply believe in respect. The only respectful way to attend a religious service is to be there with the intention of participating in some way, not just to view the building.

Your final sentence indicates to me an absence of respect.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Padraig,
Haven't you heard of evangelizing? Let them go visit during services, it might open up a door for a non-believer. I am not Catholic, yet I would visit during a mass and enjoy a private worship service of my own. It is interesting to see how others worship, and a good time of reflection for the all of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -