Reload this Page >

Avoiding colds from planes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:42 AM
andi

As someone whose last vacation was practically ruined by being sick half of the trip, I'm interested in what I can do to avoid the "airplane flu." Someone told me there was a system involving nasal spray and I'm not sure what else. Does anyone know about this? I took Vitamin C before the plane took off and landed last time, but apparently that wasn't enough to ward off a bad cold.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:54 AM
JOdy

ANDI. I swear by plain old fashioned saline nasal spray, Ayr or Ocean or a generic. My husband always came down , every trip, with "airplane flu", but since we have been doing this he has been well on every trip. We also use plain moisturizing eye drops. Use each as often as you think of it, even every hour if you are up. And wash your hands frequently or use disposable hand wipes, every surface on those planes is germ-laden , I swear. can't remember if I got this advice from a tavel jornal or one of my medical journals but it has certainly worked fofr us.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:58 AM
Mel

Good morning, JOdi! Haven't tried the nasel spray because I had sinus problems as a kid and HATED shooting that stuff up my nose. If you promise me it won't sting or drown me, I'll give it a try! We do, however, use the Purell-type dry hand wash constantly. Oh, that's something I keep forgetting to put on those "what must you have when you travel" threads, yet I'd never leave home without it!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:30 AM
StCirq

I consider the airplane to be the place I'm most likely to get sick on any trip, so I take all kinds of precautions I'd never bother with on the ground - Purel, nasal spray, my own pillowcase, and plenty of Vitamin C, Echinacea, and zinc before, during, and after the flight for a day or so.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:57 AM
elvira

Antibacterial wipes (for the fold down tray and armrests); wash your hands thoroughly every chance you get (we bring little bars of soap, throw them out once we're out of the airport terminal) and TURN OFF THE BLOWER OVER YOUR HEAD. <BR> <BR>We use the saline spray, and also suck on Vitamin C drops (keeps the throat moist, and it can't hurt).

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 07:01 AM
Ursula

I ALWAYS wear a silk scarf around my neck and turn the blower off too.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 07:36 AM
Dawn

I never ever have gotten sick on an airplane and travel a lot. Here's my info: Colds come into the body based on contact primarily with your hands. <BR>My skin tends to get very dry at that altitude. Purell Purell Purell. I turn the blower off too (recycled air is a no no). I constantly WASH MY HANDS as well. When I am in a tight space with people and don't have my 'personal space', I breathe through my nose and not my mouth (less germs enter your body this way - my doctor told me this). I also bring toner to spritz on my face. Then I lotion both my hands and my face. I suck on Vitamin C drops and drink lots of water. I don't worry about that 'dehydrated problem when drinking alcohol' story - I drink as much as possible when I fly and just make sure that I also drink the same amount of water in that given time. This means that I am constantly in the bathroom as I intake a lot of fluids! (and a good reason to wash my hands). I take melatonin - Source Natural is the absolute best - I swear by it. I never wrap the blanket near my face. Where you travel in a plane also makes a difference as well. I can be on a 23 hour flight and spend the next day totally refreshed, non-jetlagged and ready to roll for the entire day. Works for me. I think people get sick on a flight due to dehydration, human contact and jet lag. I hope my neurotic post helps! I leaving tonight for a 10 hour overnight flight (which reminds me I need to go to the store and get some Purell!)

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:01 AM
dougd

I am a believer in echinachea and zinc tablets. Sine I have been taking these, I rarely get colds. However, on our last trip back from Austria, we were surrounded by a group that coughed and sneezed for the whole 7 hours, and I did come down with a cold a few days later, however we were home by then!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:11 AM
Book Chick

Andi, <BR>So far everyone here has given you excellent advice. I take the vitamins & echinachea for about 2 weeks prior to going. Since I have problems with sinus congestion, I also take Sufafed prior to boarding the plane. (And Me, I can totally relate about the reluctance to use nasal spray/drops!) I do bring a special OTC nasal spray with me & use it at the first sign of a scratchy throat or other cold symptoms. It's called Zicam, you can buy it at Costco & it's a zinc gel spray that will alleviate the symptoms of & shorten the length of a cold. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked really well for me last winter. (And sorry, Mel, but about 20 minutes after you use it, it does sting like heck. But I'd rather take a minor sting than 7-day cold!) <BR>Best Wishes for Good Health & Travel, <BR>BC

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:52 AM
Jane

Wash your hands often and keep the nasal membranes lubricated so they can do their job. Keep your face turned away from anyone coughing. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 11:27 AM
Phyllis

Andi, I'm glad you asked about this. I used to get sick en route to or coming home from EVERY overseas trip I ever made until I read these types of hints on previous Fodors threads. Now (fingers crossed) I haven't caught those airplane-induced colds since. <BR> <BR>I swear by plenty of water (I bring aboard and drink an entire 1.5 liter bottle during the flight, as well as any H2O supplements offered by the flight crew); I use eyedrops; I wash my hands like Lady MacBeth. <BR> <BR>I bring along zinc tabs in case I feel any symptoms coming on, but I never thought to take them as a preventive measure. <BR> <BR>Thanks to your question, I'll also bring nasal spray and my own pillowcase. I will look like one of those Tokyo commuters (with the surgical mask strapped to my face) before you know it....

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 03:15 AM
andi

These are all great suggestions. Thanks a bunch and wish me luck.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:49 AM
rich

I agree, but would like to add: <BR>1- Zinc can upset an empty stomach. It has made me feel SO MISERABLE that I never take it without some food. <BR>2- Saline nasal sprays are great but if you've been in a plane for a while, use it as a nasal wash...that is; spray, and then blow your nose. Do this often. Especially if there are coughers or sneezers anywhere on the plane. Example: <BR>My wife once reported that she was fine untill she used the spray which she inhaled like a sinus medication, and shortly after got a head cold. [whatever was in her nose, got drawn into her sinuses.] We use the 'spray and blow' method now and have never had another problem. <BR>I hope this helps those of you who are not laughing at us!