average cost per day

Search

average cost per day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
average cost per day

I will be traveling to Ireland in May (2007)
with a tour group and the money I have to come up with is just for lunch, snacks and
gifts and would like to know what I can expect to spend daily.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:19 PM

First, I would read the tour brochure very carefully to see what is really included in the tour and what is optional. Most tours are not really all-inclusive - and the time they have marked as free day or free afternoon - you need to either buy a tour from them to pay for transport and to see sights on your own.

Second, if you're on the tour all day and the lunch hour is the same for everyone, generally they either lead you to a place or reco one or two for you to eat at. So - they would be able to give you an idea of the costs.

Finally, don't you need to set aside funds for pubs, evenings out etc - as well as snacks and shopping (which could be $25 for the trip or $5000) depending on if you're buying trinkets - or waterford crystal).
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Lunch, snacks, and gifts. Do you drink Guinness?

Lunch - After a big Irish breakfast, probably 8-12 Euro for a sandwich, pub lunch. Drinks will be extra 4 Euro for a beer, probably 2 Euro for a soda.

Dinner I assume will be included -- drinks will be extra. How much do you drink?

Gifts? Trinkets, etc, anywhere from 5-20 Euro. Depends on who/how many you have to buy for. You need to figure that out.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:35 PM

nytraveler is correct telling you to read the "included" on your brochure again.

as far as lunches are concerned, you can get away with a few euros at a supermarket for fruit and yoghurt or cheese and a bottle of water or spend quite a few euros for a restaurant lunch.

Likewise snacks. You can get what you would get at home at the grocery store or stop in cafes for quite a bit more.

Gifts can be a few pennies to hundreds of dollars depending on what you are looking for.

By the way, if you go the grocery store route, plastic bags cost quite a bit extra (in a government effort to encourage recycling) so pack a couple of grocery bags from home or pack some sort of light pouch to put grocery items in. I have a nylon bag which folds up to fit in my pocket for unexpected stops at little food shops or supermarkets.

Enjoy!

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM

Hi teacher33..Thanks for reminding me about paying for those plastic bags at the grocery stores! I had forgotten that I kept throwing them away, and had to pay up for a new one each time. Will bring my own, as you "suggest"...Helen