Automatic Car Rental in Karpathos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to take a trip to Karpathos in late August/early September and am going to rent a car (numerous posters and websites have all urged renting a car for this hilly island with a not-super-extensive bus system). However, looking on a few websites it seems most cars are manual transmission. Has anyone ever rented an automatic in Karpathos? Or any other Greek island, for that matter? Perhaps some companies are known for having automatics and others aren't? If I can't find an automatic, travel in Karpathos will become an issue. Thanks for any advice!
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 12:02 PM

There is a Sixt and because Sixt is awesome, they offer automatics (Peugeot 208 Aut). There is also a Hertz there and they also offer automatics ((K) Peugeot 208 1400 cc or similar).

Did you even bother to check before coming here?

Worse case scenario Garrett is you have four months to learn to drive a manual. This is a skill that will serve you well in the future.
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 12:15 PM

These places also have automatics:

http://www.rentacarinkarpathos.com/ (Nissan Micra)

http://www.ammoopirental.com/ (Suzuki Jimny)

http://www.euromotokarpathos.com/ (Hyundai Matrix)

http://www.explore-karpathos.com/ (Kia Picanto)

Avis should have them too but I am not going to sift through their car classes to find an automatic for you.
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, sparkchaser, I actually did look beforehand, but apparently not well enough. I also came across the Sixt site just a few minutes ago; seems like they and another company or two offer basically one automatic.

Regarding learning how to drive a shift stick, #1 you sound like my mother, #2 I live in the middle of Manhattan, don't own a car, don't know anyone that does...so, yeah, automatic it will be. Thanks.
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 10:19 PM

If you're not a regular driver, I'd reconsider renting a car in Greece. Granted, Karpathos is not a big island but twisty narrow roads, signage that is not always observed by the locals, parallel parking, and the habit of turning a 2 lane road into a 4 lane road will certainly be an adventure for someone with not a lot of experience. Definitely get insurance (3rd party if need be) and take photos of the car when you pick it up and when you drop it off.
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 10:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>However, looking on a few websites it seems most cars are manual transmission. <<

That holds true everywhere in Europe. But most agencies will offer automatics. However - how long are you on Karpathos?

The inventory of stick shifts will be much larger than automatics. Do be prepared with a plan B just in case. You will most likely get the automatic you book . . . see the warnings from sparkchaser above. If the previous renter falls to one of those, or is juts late returning the car, there may not be an automatic immediately available. (or not so immediately)
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 12:56 AM

Hi GarrettD,

My circumstances are almost the exact opposite of yours: I am an American who lives in a small village in England, and need a car to get anywhere. In my 20 or more (I lost count) trips to Greece I have never once rented a car or any other form of motor vehicle. I love walking or taking the bus when I go to Greece, and don't want the hassle of renting a car. I don't know about Karpathos, but most Greek islands have good bus systems.

At the risk of sounding like your mother (or in my case father), if you plan to make more trips to Europe it would be a good investment to take lessons in driving a manual transmission. I'm not sure where you can do that it NYC, but doesn't New York have just about everything?

I learned to drive with an automatic, but the first car I owned was a sports car with a four-speed gearbox. I learned how to drive manual transmissions from a book, and found it very easy when I tried one for real. As I recall, the first car I ever drove with a stick shift was a classic Jaguar XK-140, which I borrowed from a used car lot.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 02:44 AM

This 10 year old article from <i>New York Times</i> made me laugh!
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/14/au...MOTO.html?_r=0
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys! I do think I am a good driver...I grew up on a farm in Georgia and had to travel 40 miles every day (counting to home and back) just to get anywheer. But for the last 3 years I've lived in NYC and don't drive now, but I think I can handle it. I do make a point to be especially careful on unfamiliar roads or unfamiliar places, so I'll be sure to watch out in Karpathos. It should be okay.

Heimdall - I agree walking or taking the bus is optimal. I've only been to Greece twice so far, but both times, yes, I used the bus system and walked except for one day of renting ATVs. However, from what I've read, Karpathos' bus system isn't too extensive, and I think on a remote / not very populated island I'll enjoy the freedom it gives me. Out of 7 and 1/2 full days there, I'll probably only rent the car for 3 at most...
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 08:11 AM

I can't argue with your logic, GarrettD! I'm sure you will find what you need on Karpathos.

On some islands it's advantageous to rent a small 4WD like a Suzuki Jimny, especially if you go to remote beaches or anywhere off the beaten track. For that you would need to know how to drive a stick shift.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 10:24 AM

Not entirely true because http://www.ammoopirental.com/ offers an automatic Suzuki Jimmy
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Thanks, sparkchaser!
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 04:28 PM

It sounds like driving a shift stick car is a nightmare for most Americans..
Personally i think it is so much fun, that i wouldn't want to drive an automatic....
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 05:05 PM

There are many many Americans who
Prefer driving a manual, as I do.
But they are not easy to find in the US
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 10:27 PM

I love driving a manual.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 11:05 PM

With the big V-8 engines most American cars used to have, the power loss from automatic transmissions wasn't important, so from the 1950s nearly every car had them. With the fuel crisis of the 1970s smaller imported cars became popular, but by then most people wanted automatics, while sports car and performance car fans like myself still wanted stick shifts. Modern automatic transmissions are nearly as efficient as manuals, so even small cars are fitted with them in the US these days.

I've always felt that learning to drive a manual transmission is one of those life lessons like learning to swim. I can understand though, why people who live in large cities like New York or London may not drive at all.

A friend who grew up in the Bronx went to US Air Force pilot training, and in those days started in a T-37 jet. His instructor said "You are so uncoordinated I don't know how you can even drive a car!" My friend replied "I don't know how to drive a car." They sent him to navigator training.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 11:22 PM

<i> They sent him to navigator training</i>

LOL