AutoEurope location question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get a rental car through autoeurope, I understand they are a broker, but do you pick up the car at their office, or the office of the company who will actually be providing the car? The reason for my question is that on the website, I am given you hours of operation and locations in the drop off and pickup cities. That is before it has offered any specific cars, so I assume it must be at a AutoEurope office. I have also read though that with AutoEurope you don't actually rent from them, but get a voucher to take to the 'real' rental company. I am looking to pickup and drop off in not huge towns (Arras and Sete) - could it just be that there is only one car rental company in those towns? (Doesn't seem likely...)

Can anyone who has used autoeurope let me know?

thanks!
V
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Auto Europe will tell you what airport desk to go to upon arrival.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:51 AM

AutoEurope has no offices in Europe. As far as I know, their only office is in Portland, Maine.

It is quite possible that there is only one car-rental agency in Arras or Sete, but in any case, AutoEurope will give you the name and address of the agency you have to go to.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:05 AM

Canada_V, as I understand it, the list of rental locations you see on the AutoEurope website are the companies that AutoEurope books with. In a place like Arras, there might be two or three firms that rent cars, but AutoEurope may deal with only one (or two) of them.

It will be pretty clear on the on the voucher AutoEurope sends you. For example, my last rental through them has a voucher number and shows that I will get the car at "EuropCar, Reims Downtown Office, 76 boul Lundy." The voucher also shows what kind of car you've booked ("Peugeot 207 or Similar&quot, amount you've prepaid and balance due when you've finished the rental. Be sure to read the Ts and Cs, which will itemize additional fees you might have to pay, such as a location surcharge for an airport pick-up, etc.

When I have a choice of pick-up locations, I usually plot them on the ViaMichelin map and figure out which will have the easiest access to the highway I'm aiming for.

Arras ... if you don't mind my asking, are you planning to visit Vimy?

Anselm
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM

They don't have offices in every place in Europe, that would be impossible. Those are car rental offices, that's all. In fact, you can even figure out who the rental company would be by the addresses and options offered, if you want. They have regular contracts with only a few car rental companies, so they do know in some cases who it will be if that is the only company in a location. In other cases, it is usually just a rail station or airport, not a specific address, and then they may have a couple possibilities you don't know.

All you have to do is look up in the phonebook the names of car rental companies and their addresses for a city, and you can match that up with the Autoeurope website to figure it out. Most phonebooks are online now for a lot of countries -- definitely in France.

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM

I was just staring at this voucher a bit more and thought of two other things to tell you.

Take note of the car rental agency's hours of operation, which are on the second page of the voucher. As an example, the EuropCar office in Reims was closed noon to 2 pm every day and on Sundays. It was significant for me because I arrived in Reims at 12:30 and had to cool my heels at a café until the rental office re-opened.

Secondly, if you ever need to talk to the AutoEurope people while you're in France, they list a toll-free number on the voucher. The line is staffed 24 hours a day, as I discovered when I called them from France at 3 am Maine time.

AA
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM

I have noticed that when you put in your time and day of pickup on the website, that has an effect on the companies (Avis, National, etc) that are offered. Changing day and time can affect the offeriongs and costs.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:49 AM

AutoEurope is a good company. I have used them many times for extended rentals, 4 to 6 weeks per trip. They will meet any competitors price, and there are no suprises! They do not have offices in rental locations, but you are sent to well known rental outlets. I have picked up cars at Avis and Hertz in Italy. Small towns are not a problem. Last trip, picked up in Pescara, (Abruzzo) and dropped off in Lecce, Puglia).If you need more info let me know.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM

Interesting, robjame. Hadn't even thought of that. So if I'd wanted a car on Sunday I might have seen different rental agencies and prices offered? I'll remember that for next time.

AA
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Oh, one more thing, DOUBLE CHECK the operating hours of the individual rental location. Many close for several hours in the afternoon. I tend to go the day before scheduled pick-up and let them know what time the next day I will be there. Sometimes that helps in getting the car you would like to have.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone
About the opening times - when I had a time in that was outside the opening times listed, the AutoEurope site showed the location, but 'greyed out' the box to choose that pickup, so it looks like it tries to fit something that works. And the viamichelin is exactly what I was doing I plotted the 'walking distance' from the train station to the car rental place.
Anselm - yes, Vimy is the reason for starting out in Arras. Our plan is after our first week in our Paris apartment, we are going to take the train to Arras, spend the night at the youth hostel (me, my husband and the 2 kids then visit Vimy; drive to Caen and spend the next day at Juno; then make our way to spend a week in the Dordogne via Oradour-sur-Glane. Those three days are our "lest we forget" portion of our trip...
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

oops that smilie wasn't the one I thought would pop in there...
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Hi
We've used autoeurope for many years without a problem. You can make a reservation either on line, where it gives the address, phone # and operating hours of the rental co. If you prefer you can use the 800#. They always tell you the name of the auto rental co. I also download my voucher so I can examine it for errors. I've been using them almost 20 yrs. now and am completely satisfied.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Canada_V, thanks for that. Seeing the words "Canada" and "Arras" in the same post just made me think "Vimy." We're looking Ypres and the Somme this fall and we'll make a point of including Vimy and Beaumont-Hamel.

Safe travels.

AA

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM
rex

Avis is in both Arras and in Sete.

Not very likely that you ccan get as good a rate directly from Avis as AutoEurope can get you.

Avis is where you will go.

Their website can list hours and locations "before it has offered any specific cars" - - (probably) because it's the only choice in town.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:00 PM

AutoEurope , Portland Maine, has one of the best, helpful customer service and reservation offices. They will tell you everything as to where to pickup, hours of operation etc. They contract with major car rental agencies which varies in different countries, and they try to give you the best "deal".
I never liked their idea of paying a portion before leaving U.S. and the rest on pickup. It's easier, we think, to pay in full and have the complete voucher when walking up to the counter overseas....nothing added (except maybe a little airport tax or something). No questions doing it this way. (and I think AutoEurope will do it this way now if you want.
It also use to be that if there is any problem during the time you have the car you can call the Portland office COLLECT 24/7 and they will assist you.
Anyway......by talkng with them by phone to make your reservation they will answer all your questions.
(The ONLY problem we ever had was the strong attempt to sell us CDW insurance,and threat of thousands of dollars if something happened to the car. (We did not take it))gt
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM

A little AutoEurope secret. Play around with the different international sites. You will get a completely different list of cars and prices, but you will still be able to enter your local address as a renter.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Yup. Often you can get the same car cheaper by renting through the UK AutoEurope site....though haven't checked it since the dollar tanked against the pound. Still, well worth investigating.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I looked up in the on-line "Pages Jeunes" and it looks like there is a Hertz, an Avis and a EuropCar office in Arras, but there is only an Avis in Sete (there is a Hertz, but it looks like it is just a "Depot" in Sete itself, so maybe AutoEurope doesn't work with that.
Interesting tip on trying other countries sites - I'll give that a try!
Thanks again!

Anselm - have you been to Vimy?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:42 AM

If you go to the Better Business Bureau website you will be able to confirm the many complaints filled against AutoEurope (with main offices in Portland, ME) for Bait & Switch advertisement, specifically by Ireland-bound travel. While the voucher will provide you a quote (Bait), the rental agreement (at time of pick up) will have contain substantial additional charges that could had been included as part of the voucher quote (switch part). It is not that they do not state that additional charges are likely; it is that they COULD include these charges in the original quote and don't (Bait).

After more than 40 trips to Europe, always using car rentals (including many, many times from Auto Europe), I am definitely not using Auto Europe ever again. Not the same company, by far.

My experience, my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -