Authentic flamenco in Jerez or Granada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I will be traveling to Seville, Jerez and Granada in March. I'm hoping to see some true flamenco - not the tourist-trap kind. Is it true that the best flamenco is in Jerez and Granada? And how does one know where to go to get the best shows? Can hotel recommendations be trusted? Thanks so much! I promise to report back to you with feedback on your suggestions on my return from Spain!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:36 PM

The following may provide you with a little more information on Flamenco, at least in Sevilla.

http://www.exploreseville.com/flamenco.htm
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 02:03 AM

For good authentic flamenco in Granada, try going to the bar Eshavira, on Calle Postigo de la Cuna, between Calle Elvira and Gran Via de Colon. It's a little bar tucked away down a side street - in the basement they have live jazz and flamenco on different nights. Flamenco used to be on Sunday nights but this may have changed (so it would be best to check). It gets very busy and doesn't open till quite late (like many bars in Granada) but it's worth it.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 05:52 AM
aj

Try this site: www.tablaoelarenal.com
We really enjoyed the show. We did not do the dinner show but the later evening show. GREAT! Seville is a real treat!
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 02:22 AM

This is my particular area of expertise as I live in jerez and I certainly can understand wanting to steer clear of the tourist trap flamenco that most visitors tend to fall into. Don't bother with a tablao, which charges an arm and a leg to see flamenco which the performers themselves you can see have no interest in. The recommendation for Granada is good, though I'd add Peña la Plateria to the list. In Jerez, you want to find the peñas flamencas, which should be doing shows on Fridays and Saturdays. If you are coming now around the christmas season, jerez is famous and unique for their "zambombas", which can take place in people's patios, in peñas, or even out on the street with a bonfire, where people drink anis and sing flamenco-ised christmas carols, which end up turning into real flamenco juergas, jerez style. Few tourists ever really experience this since it is low season here, but you won't find a similar flamenco ambiente anywhere in Andalucia. If you send me an e-mail with when you plan to be in Jerez, I can send you schedule of flamenco events...cheers
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all.
Hanl, how late is late?
Would Eshavira be know to hotel staff? And taxis? I'll be staying at Casa Migueletes, how far is it from there? Can I walk? This is GREAT information, thank you!
Sebti, I will flip you an e-mail, thank you. Unfortunately, I will miss the wonderful zambombas you describe: I'm going in March - and not on a week-end (Tues, Wedn Thurs)!
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 10:22 PM

Hi Louanne
If I remember correctly, things didn't start happening at Eshavira till after 10pm (or later) although it's been a while since I last went there.
I should think your hotel staff would have heard of it, as it's quite well known in Granada. It's fairly near Plaza Nueva and would be within easy walking distance from your hotel which is also in the vicinity.
It might be a bit hard to find the first time - it's actually located on a little cul-de-sac called Postigo de la Cuna (not always big enough to be shown on maps) off Calle Azacayas, between Gran Via and Elvira.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone heard of the following spots? - El Correl del Principe (Granada); el Laga (Jerez de la Frontera); Los Gallos & El Tamboril (Sevilla)?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:01 PM

If dancer Raquel Heredia (sometimes called La Repompa) is performing in Granada, go see her! She is dynasty and she is THE GOLDEN ONE as far as I am concerned. I have taken classes from her and took her on tour a few months ago and she was incredibly well received.

Claire
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM

Hola

Yes I saw the Los Gallos show when I was in Seville. Set in a small venue in the picturesque Barrio Santa Cruz. The performers were fantastic and because it was a small venue you could feel the intensity of this form of dancing. I thoroughly recommend it. I booked by email prior to my trip. Their website is - http://www.tablaolosgallos.com. Take in a restaurant in Santa Cruz to complete a magic and memorable evening.

Happy travels