Austria or Switzerland ?

Search

Austria or Switzerland ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austria or Switzerland ?

If you had to choose would you go to Austria or Switzerland for a 2 week vacation ? We love mountains , hiking ,lakes etc but which would be the best place?
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 12:42 AM

This might be a factor: Switzerland is more expensive than Austria.

If you love mountains, hiking, lakes, Kärnten might be the place for you. Many beautiful lakes which are good for swimming. You have warm climate, hiking opportunities and many options for sightseeing (castles, cities). The Großglockner (Austria's highest mountain) is in reach of a daytrip.

On a map (e.g. www.viamichelin.com), you may search for Villach. The Faaker See might be the most beautiful lake.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you this is most helpful , I will have a look at the link you gave
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Ignoring expense, I prefer Switzerland. I love the public transportation, the trains, boats and buses, that can get you everywhere very efficiently.

The Bernese Oberland is everybody's favorite at Fodor's and for good reason. 2 big lakes (Brienz and Thun), and from Interlaken Ost multiple trains connected to gondolas, etc, up into the Alps, as high as Jungfraujoch. Murren and Wengen, both car-free villages, are favorites as bases.

If you want a little taste of city, you could spend a few days in Lucerne, on another lake and with excursions to mounts Rigi and Pilatus. Lucerne is close to Zurich, with trains direct to the Zurich airport.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 08:04 AM

For me, it depends on the month of travel. I prefer the Jungfrau region in Switzerland, but I dislike cold weather. So if I go to Europe in April, I stay in Italy and southern France. In June I do the Germany and Austria area. For my early September trip, SWITZERLAND!

Hallstatt, Austria is also hard to beat. You can go by bus to Dachstein and take cable cars up to the Five Fingers. The views are amazing. The entire Salzkammergut area is beautiful. St. Gilgen and St. Wolfgang are my next favorites of Austria.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Both are extremely beautiful...

But I will choose Austria, without any hesitation.

I have been to both the countries 3-4 times.
Am planning to visit Switzerland for 10 days this Spring.

But it is Austria that calls me back.. Again and again.

1. It is a microcosm of Europe.
Europe in a Nutshell.
Alps loke Switzerland, Lakes better than Italy, Castles nd Danube similar to that in Germany, Vienna as magnificent as Paris.
2. There cant be more Romantic place than Salzburg.
3. Lots of skiing options.
4. I found people warmer in Austria.
5. There are more Architectural masterpieces and Sculptures.
6. It is full of culture, music, art.
7. More food options than Switzerland.
8. Year round resorts and attractions.
9. Prices are cheaper
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Mimar,

I don't think that every Fodorite's Swiss favorite is the Oberland; I can think of two or three people who prefer other areas of the country (me among them).

Many years ago, a poster here said that the Oberland doesn't have the best mountains, just the best PR. And that's something I do agree with!

But whether to visit Austria or Switzerland -- well I would always go for Switzerland. The car-free villages are unique and a wonderful draw for me.

s
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM

The Berner Oberland is so appealing to many Fodorites, because it is the only mountain chain which is doable if you have a 10-destinations-within-five-days itinerary. IMO, the world's most beautiful mountain is the Matterhorn, but you can't do that if you have just five days for Zürich, Luzern, Geneva, Chateau de Chillon and the mountains.

Paragkash is right, of course: the Alps are the Alps, and they are equally beautiful, whether you are in Austria, France, Germany, Italy or Switzerland. You also find scenic mountain lakes in each country, rustic food and wooden huts. Differences are in prices: Switzerland is most expensive, then comes Italy. Austria and Germany are least expensive, France is in between (the price differences are results of historic inflation and exchange rates).
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 12:00 PM

I prefer an Austrian/Germany vacation, Follow the 'Spine along the Alps" and you will have all your options covered!

-john