Austria and Switzerland with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking about visiting Austria and Switzerland with our two kids, ages 10 and 12, the first two weeks of July. We are mainly interested in mountains and scenery, as well as easy hikes. Visits to major cities (i.e. Vienna and Zurich) are of less interest, although I would love to see Venice and Satzburg!

As we are just at the beginning of the planning phase, we are open to any suggestions. We would probably fly in to Munich or Zurich. Could anyone suggest an interesting itinerary? The possibilities seem endless. Thanks
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Hi Ispon,

Because you say you want to see Austria & Switzerland, I'm going to ignore your mention of both Munich and Venice!

The areas of Switzerland that are closest to Austria are the St. Gallen area and the Graubuenden (towns of Scuol, Davos, or Chur maybe).

So you could fly into Zurich and go to St. Gallen for a few days, move on to Scuol for a few days, then go on to Innsbruck and Vienna, and fly out of Vienna.

You can research these routes at the Swiss train site, www.rail.ch. Also note that children 15 & younger travel free on Swiss trains.

Good luck!

s
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:23 PM
kdcwood

We've traveled extensively in Europe with our daughter who is now 13.

In July 2005 we spent two weeks based in St. Gilgen, Austria, which is a village about 30 minutes from Salzburg (an easy drive). St. Gilgen is right on a lake and surrounded by mountains. This was part of a 14 month trip to Europe, and honestly one of the best two weeks of the entire trip. We went into Salzburg a few days (we've been there before and love it). We hiked around the lake and took a boat back. We took a cable car up the mountain and hiked. We took a train up another mountain for amazing views. We went twice over to Bertesgaden-- once to visit the Salt Mines (kids will love) and once to visit Lake Konigsee. Some of the best hiking was in a high meadow called the PostAlm. I can't recommend this enough.

My blog will tell you more of what we did those two weeks, and there is a link to photos so you can see how beautiful it is: http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/kaydee/...es/000927.html

We went onto Switzerland for two weeks of hiking and loved that, but I really think St. Gilgen was ideal.

If you flew into Munich (which we also enjoy), you could spend a few days there, then perhaps a few days around Oberammergau (the kids would love the castles in that area), then maybe a week at St. Gilgen.

Kathy

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM

I went to Austria on my contiki last summer .. I have to say you must visit .. hoftgarten.. not only is it absolutly gorgeous but they have a lot of family activities.. bike rides a fishing post where you fish and barbeque your catch plus an amazing park .. complete with ropes.. and trampelines.. I loved it and cannont wait to go back
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions. Do you think it would be better to go for a 1 week holiday rental (i.e. 1 week Austria and 1 week Switzerland) as a base and do day trips, or to change location every 3-4 day or so?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:19 PM
kdcwood

lspon, I'm personally a fan of basing for a week in a centrally-located rental. Especially with a family, I think it's just easier. You don't end up eating out every meal... and have a little more space to spread out.

Plus, you'll get to know some people around you.

Kathy