Austria & Switzerland in Dec

Jun 7th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Austria & Switzerland in Dec

Hi Guys...I'm planning to take my parents (both in their high 50s) to Austria and part of Switz from 25th Dec to 3rd Jan. I know its going to be cold but we've always been to Europe in the summer so we wanted to switch it up this time and experience the holiday season. We have been to Lucerne area (Titlis, Interlaken) before so it would be nice to see some other villages/towns. First visit to Austria so I've read about going to Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck. We are not going to be driving so we're planning to take the train everywhere. I'm thinking fly into Vienna and out of Zurich. If you guys have any must dos and don'ts during that time of the year please recommend! Also, if anyone has any itinerary suggestions please do share.

Thank you!!

Meg
Jun 7th, 2016, 10:40 AM

We are not going to be driving so we're planning to take the train everywhere.>

Some great resources: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. first one has great info on discounted train tickets - in Switzerland even a few days the Swiss Pass may be a good deal depending on your plans. www.swisstravelsystem.com.
Jun 8th, 2016, 02:22 AM

www.myswitzerland.com
Jun 8th, 2016, 10:48 AM

Try the Engadine -around St Moritz - lots of folks here rave about it and you can do a scenic drive there through Austria from Innsbruck or Salzburg.
Jun 9th, 2016, 02:22 AM

Yes, the combined bus-small train journey from Landeck to Scuol - St. Moritz/Pontresina/Segl Maria is really scenic (if the weather isn't too bad). But don't expect to find there a double room for less than 200 USD/night around New Year.
Jun 9th, 2016, 05:27 AM

In Vienna (and throughout Austria), be aware of holiday hours and closures (25, 26 December; early closings on 31 Dec.; and closures on 1 January.) If you are planning any special meals out, try to make reservations as early as possible.