Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland or Austria for 10 days - please help me decide !

Aug 5th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

We will be in Italy in late June of 2007 for 5 days for a work function and want to visit either Switzerland or Austria aferward for about 10 days. Both places sound wonderful but we don't want to dilute our trip and try to see both in the timeframe we have.

I am looking for help in deciding between the 2 countries for this trip. I am not quite sure how to ask this, but is there a way to describe a trip to each country that would help me out? In other words, is a trip to Switzerland more of an outdoor scenery trip, where Austria may have more palaces and museums to see? Or is this way off?? Are they both pretty equal as far as beautiful mountain scenery? What about driving - is one easier to drive in? Food, what is the main difference there?

I am not asking for a lot of details, just overall impressions. I think we would like a more relaxing, outdoor scenery, sipping wine type trip vs. a museum/palace sightseeing trip.

Thank you for any help you can give me with this!

Ginny

Aug 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM

Both countries are beautiful. It's hard to decide but maybe there's a good method. If you want to travel around the chosen country, Switzerland can be visited more easily.

Austria is a physically larger country, so my choice would be Switzerland. Plus, Switzerland offers three different cultures-German, French, and Italian. Driving up a mountain pass on the German side and at the top of the pass, the Italian radio starts playing. Tocino is beautiful and distinctly different.

Yes, it would be Switzerland for me.

Blackduff
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:58 PM

Hmm. Just which Austria do you want?
Vienna and its culture?
Salzburg and its tourist attractions?
The mountains of the Austrian Alps, of which there is a wide range of places to go.

Austria is easy enough to drive in. I have done it a couple of times. None of the cities are easy, however, and parking is expensive. A car in Vienna is of little use.

Switzerland is my most common destination. But I am no longer going there for frequent new discoveries, so that influences my answer.

IF you like to hike and view the snow capped peaks, then Switzerland is a good place. There is plenty to see and do.

If you plan to drive much in Switzerland, you must be able to drive high mountain passes without freaking out. Some of them are high and winding with tight curves, like the Furka Pass.

Otherwise, I have found driving in Switzerland easy enough. I will be there at the end of the month and I have my destinations selected and a rental car reserved.
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:12 AM

ttt
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:28 AM

Hi gopack,

I've been to both places and will give you my random impressions, but please note that I didn't get to some Austrian resorts that sound divine when described here (the Tirol).

I visited Salzburg, Zell am See, Innsbruck, & Kitzbuehel. I found the mountains to be lower and less majestic than in Switzerland. I also found the towns to lose some charm because they allowed traffic to run through -- it gave a sense of the mundane. But having said that, I am really eager to visit the woodlands outside of Vienna and the Danube valley.

I've been to many places in Switzerland, and that's the place I continue to return to. It has world-class museums (Zurich, Basel, & Luzern) in addition to those car-free villages in the towering mountains of the Bernese Oberland. If you want to get off the beaten track, you can visit the Engadin Valley, where few Americans visit and which offers a really different aspect of the country. If you want green rolling hills with dozens of walking and biking paths, you can head to the Saanenland at the far western edge of the Bernese Oberland. If you can't decide if you want lakes or mountains, you can head to Luzern or to Thun, both set right where mountains spill into stunning glacier lakes. If you want French culture and long lakeside strolls, you can head to Vaud; if you want Italian culture, you can head to the towns of the Ticino. In short, there's a lot of variety in Switzerland, and all of it is spectacularly beautiful.

It is expensive, though.

If you want more information & websites for some of the towns or areas I mentioned, let me know!

s
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:34 AM

ps (sorry!),

I think the tourist infrastructure is better developed in Switzerland, too, with a coordinated network of trains, busses, ferries, funiculars, and cable cars to carry you up, down, and around! I would say the country is incredibly "user-friendly" for visitors.

s
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:58 AM
ira

Hi go,

Flip a coin.

Go to the other country next visit.

Have a nice trip.