Aussie Wine Duty Free

May 13th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Bake

Aussie Wine Duty Free

My wife and I will be going to the UK in four weeks and were wondering how much wine we may bring in duty free for, personal use?

May 13th, 2001, 04:58 PM
JOdy

With all your really great "aussie" wines why would you even consider others? I sure wouldn't!!Now good single malt is another matter altogether!!

May 13th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Kimerley

Bake, ring up a local duty free shop to find out..I think it may be 1 litre of spirits or 2 bottles of wine

May 13th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Miriam

Hello,

sorry Jody, but I have the idea that
Bake wants to bring wine with her/him to the UK?

Miriam

May 13th, 2001, 05:12 PM
JOdy

Hi Miriam,
I guess I need to read more carefully! I thought it was the other way around! English wines from kent, etc taste like cat's whiddle , give me a good "New world" anytime. Why or to whom are you bringing wine?

May 13th, 2001, 07:34 PM
bake

We will be bringing it from the PREMIER wine area in South Australia, the Southern Vales at Mclaren Vale.

It will be for personal consumption or possibly to share with our B&B hosts

May 14th, 2001, 01:41 AM
JOdy

The allowance is 2 liters of still table wine per person.
Your B&B hosts are lucky !

May 14th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Rex

Although I would almost never bring wine from the US to Europe, there might be a situation where I would bring it from - - say, Italy - - by plane to the UK (a stop-over for the last few days before going home, for example).

I can't imagine that Her Majesty's Customs officials would ever know or care if I had a dozen or two bottles of wine in my luggage - - would they? Has anyone had any actual experience to suggest otherwise?

Wouldn't this be the essence of the question that "bakeyboy" is asking?

Best wishes,

Rex

May 14th, 2001, 05:29 AM
OhRex

who would bring wine from the U.S, YUCK!
UK customs would very much care about more than 2 bottles of wine each..don't you watch "Airport"...

May 14th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Rex

But would they actually know or try to find out if I had wine in my luggage? Anyone have any ACTUAL experience on this question.

As I already said, I would NOT bring wine from the US into Europe. But I might INDEED fly into the UK (from Italy or some other country in Europe), carrying a dozen or two bottles of wine in my luggage - - en route to home (a few days later, for example).

And I don't think it would garner any attention.