August in Italy

Apr 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

August in Italy

how disappointed will we be vacationing in Rome, Florence and Venice in August?
will we find many attractions, shops, and restaurants open or closed?
Apr 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM

the impact on the average tourist is nil - most everything as normal in the tourist world. In residential areas yes many things are closed as the Romans make lemming like for the sea that month.

Actually, like in Paris, August has its benefits - namely a lack of often obnoxious traffic and corresponding smog.

But many Europeans flock to these cities in August and Florence and Venice especially can be very mobbed in the touristy areas. Rome has more real estate but still there will be long lines at places like Vatican - longer than normal anyway.

As for hotels August is actually a mid-season as peak season, according to hotel desks i've asked, is from Easter thru mid June, when Italians more often come to these cities but they don't in August and neither does the business clientele so hotels can be surprisingly available and even cheaper than in peak season.

Personally i think Venice is not worth it in July and August as the main gauntlets can be elbow-elbow, negating much of the charm. As they say Venice is sinking under the weight of tourism and in August it's at its worst.
Apr 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM

The average Italian 40+ days of vacation per year. Most Italians take at least a week or two off each August, and many are on vacation for the entire month. Businesses shut their doors for all or part of this vacation period.

The bad: Some places,like Milan, are like ghost towns.

The goodome plaeces like Rome (exception is weekends)can have much less tourists and most every major site is open. This especially true in Florece,much less so in Venice.

Bad: Forget driving on a major road like A1 on a Saturday in August,especially leaving cities.

Good: Many restaurants remain open (heavy tourist areas).

Bad: Many restaurants are also closed-some for the entire months. Even if open, the better chefs will be at a beach leaving the "back-up crew to cook.
Goodike PalenQ said,it's mid-season with a break on room prices.

Too me, the biggest "bad" is the weather. It will be HOT. And with all the walking I do in Italy,it makes for some sweaty clothes.

Apr 12th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Yeh i think the average high in Florence in mid summer is about 90 F ro so.
Apr 13th, 2007, 10:13 PM

I remember 42C, in my city, Bologna, just few years ago....
Do you understand now the reason we stop from 12 a.m. to 3 p.m.?
Apr 14th, 2007, 12:54 AM

Hi Ready - If you can take the heat, Rome in August can be a great place to be - with all the events of "l'Estate Romana" and the summer season at Caracalla, etc.

Steve
Apr 14th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Wear-I've been in Italy in August for the past two years now-there was virtually no high temps. (and I like high temps-I had to sweater a few times). In fact, August 2006 in Florence and Venice had just about the most beautiful and perfect weather a traveler could have dreamed for-nothing but completely blue sky days-no rain-at all-for weeks. I remember very clearly being in Florence on one of these golden afternoons-all the palazzi along the Arno seemed to glow-the wind was blowing-and this was the third week in August.

None of the shops that I've ever seen are closed, and a few restaurants are closed, but not enough to even mention. As far as I'm concerned, it is the best time to be in Italy-there's opera at the Roman Arena in Verona until the end of August, the art cities stage other events in August, it's low season so you get better rates on both apartments and hotels-it's great.

I hope people on this board continue to discourage people from going to Italy in August-so those of us who love being there then can continue to enjoy the lovely summer weather, being out on the water and the benefits of low season rates (although, truthfully, in terms of people, you would never know it's low season in the big three at that time).
Apr 14th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Girlspytravel - it's nice to hear what you're saying.
I have just cancelled my hotels in Venice, Florence,and Bellagio for the first 2 weeks in May - due to health reasons. Now trying to put together a trip the middle of August,the only time we can go. We live in Florida so used to hot weather ,so might as well be there than here,right? I'll just have to eat more gellato to cool off I guess.
Apr 14th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Hello:
The heat in Italy is very dry, like Arizona. If you are able to withstand the Florida humidity, you should be fine.
Have a great trip
Apr 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Genie-I'm telling you, particularly in Venice, the last half of the month, I never used my air conditioning, and in August 2005, I was wearing sweaters for almost a week in Florence and Venice, it was so cool-but last August? I've never experienced such perfect weather in Italy-however, that's no guarantee of what it will be towards the last half of this year, of course.

The bottom line is, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.
Apr 14th, 2007, 09:30 AM

I agree Italy is not nearly as bad as Florida in August; and I've just been looking at some great hotel rates near the Pantheon in Rome this August. If we decide to go our plan will be to start the days early, take long afternoon naps and to have dinner late and stay out enjoying the Roman nightlife. During the day, the Pantheon is always cooler than the piazza outside, and day and night, the closer you can get to the fountains the cooler it is. Italian air-conditioning is much better and more widely installed than it used to be.
After the sun goes down, Italy should be very comfortable in August, even though it's still hot and humid at night in August here in FL.