August in Bellagio

Search

August in Bellagio

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August in Bellagio

I didn't get any response to my other post so will try this .

Is it reasonable to expect a pleasant time if we stayed for one or two weekend nights in Bellagio enroute by train from Venice to Grindelwald ?

Our cruise disembarks in Venice at 500 AM. We can catch Eurostar/EC at 10:22AM (enough time ?) and arrive by 2:00PM at Como. Do we ferry to Bellagio ?

A train leaving Como at 4:13PM, one or two days later, arrives in Grindelwald by 9:19PM via Domodossola, Simplon and Brig, which is a route I have heard to be very scenic.

Can you comment on this - good or not good ? Thanks.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Personally I would spend the time in Venice and stay away from Bellagio if all you have is a few days. You can roam around the quiet districts in Venice and not be over-run by tourists. It will be quite warm in both places that time of year. We just found the Lakes area less enchanting than Venice. You could train from Venice to Grindelwald couldn't you? It is not difficult to get to the train station. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip. Shirley
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM

I agree with the previous poster. We visited Bellagio in August, which is definitely NOT the best time to vist there. Yes, it's an incredibly beautiful spot, but it was completely overrun with tourists ( us among them), and it totally colored our visit in a bad way.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Why only Bellagio? I would let the train connections dictate and stop at any of the lake destinations that are convenient---Stresa, Lugano,
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Bob

Would Lugano or Stresa be less crowded ?
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:36 PM

First of all, okoshi, you have to determine what PART of August you will be there-if you're going to be there in the first two weeks of August, then yes, it could be rather warm. However, (and I'm saying this again for the umpteenth time) I have been in Italy now for the last two Augusts, after the 15th of the month, and Venice and other parts were actually cool to well, gorgeous.

I was in Lake Como (Como the town, not Bellagio) as recently as this past August 19th-and it was COOL-I needed a jacket. There weren't that many tourists there either-I found the town of Como to be very pleasant.

My point is, Okoshi, if you want to go to Bellagio the latter part of August, I think you'll find it delightful, not too touristed (the hotels are never full in this area in August, as it is still low season, even here-I know this, because this past August I made reservations IN August FOR August in Como, and there were plenty of hotels that had availability).

So to answer your question with information that is only a couple of months old, you should indeed have a delightful time, there will be plenty of availability for hotels, and particularly if you go in the latter half of the month, you can expect cooler weather.

So
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

We will be there in the first week of August.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:04 AM

All resort areas will be crowded in August. However, Bellagio itself is not convenient to access by rail on your itinerary. The other 2 resorts are on the 2 major rail lines and would be very easy to enjoy. It somewhat depends on your best connections--look at the route via Brig to Interlaken--from Stresa.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 09:04 AM

To answer your original question, there's a hydrofoil from the town of Como to Bellagio; it takes about 40 minutes. You will need to take a taxi from the train station to the lakefront ferry landing.

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 09:13 AM

If you do check into Stresa per Bob's idea, I'll throw this in...we loved it in August three years ago. It was so quiet in comparison to Bellagio where we were this past June. It is very easy to get to, and has a beautiful setting overlooking the Borromean islands.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Bellagio in August is almost as crowded as Portofino in August - that's how bad the crowding can be! That said at night after the boats that ejaculate boat loads and loads of tourists off all day into the tiny town centre have ceased and the day-tripping gelato slurping picture taking tacky souvenir buying postcard writing latte sipping crowd is gone Bellagio assumes its natural romantic feel.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 09:55 AM

We found Bellagio to be s nice and restful break after the intensity of Venice (which I *love* but which overpowers the hubby). We took the train from Venice to Como and then a taxi to boat landing and boat to Bellagio. Other posters have recommended taking the train to the next town up from Bellagio (Varenna).
We went in late August and it was a nice visit.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:27 AM

"All resort areas will be crowded in August."

I don't understand why anyone would state something as absolute fact who has not been there during this time period, and merely assumes that it must be so simply because it's August.

Let me say this again, I have been in this area of Northern Italy, for the last two Augusts-2006 and 2005. August is LOW SEASON in Italy, EVEN in Lake Como.

I went on venere.com this past August to check on hotel availability for hotels in the Como/Cernobbio/Menaggio area IN AUGUST FOR AUGUST. There was plenty of availability, and then when I got to Como, it was not crowded at all. Quite the contrary, I was surprised at how few tourists were really about-and it was cool, cool enough for sweaters and jackets in the late afternoon/evening, on the 19th/20th August.

Many people EXPECT a resort area to be very crowded in August, because they don't know that August is low season. I expect that in high season, which is NOT AUGUST, that it is more crowded, (in June and in July).

The point is Okoshi, if you want to go to Bellagio in August, by all means, you should go, even in the first week of August. Go to venere.com and check for hotels that you would like to stay in, then go to that hotel's website, to see if you can get a better deal on the website for August. Book a hotel, and go and enjoy yourself, it really is a lovely and perfect time to visit the Lake Como area. There will be more tourists around Lake Como the first week of August than there was towards the end of the month when I was there, but nothing too unpleasant or unmanageable-like I said, in the late afternoon, when I got there, there were few tourists about in Como, and practically no one on the ferry.

If you have luggage, you'll want to take a taxi from the train station in Como to the ferry dock in Como. If you don't have luggage, it is quite walkable- about 15-20 minutes. Right alongside the ferry dock, there are a number of waterside restaurants, bars and a gelateria where you can wait until the next ferry comes to take you to Bellagio.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I can't help but reply in particular to the above poster. We were in Bellagio the first week in August, and to be quite blunt, it was AWFUL. The hotel staff was at their wit's end with the influx of tourists, the food for the most part was expensive and mediocre, and town was swarming (especially during the day) with zillions of tourists. I would never again go there during the 1st or even the 2nd week of August.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all the descriptions above.

My interest in Stresa has been piqued- perhaps it would be a nice stopover enroute to Grindelwald from Venice since this is a 9-10 hour train ride.

I admit I thought it was a Swiss town initially ! Will the geography and climate be similar to the other lake areas ?

I have read it has "jaded" over the years ? Not sure whether this means it is rundown or just quaint and not glitzy.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Stresa is a gem and less likely to be overly mobbed - a neat lakefront where the municipal band often plays at night. But it's the three Borromean Islands looming majestically just off shore that adds to its romance. Boats go there frequently and each island is different - one has a palace with swell gardens, another a Bellagio-esque 'fishing' village where fishermen now angle for tourists dollars, etc.

I love Stresa and it's smack on the main rail line to where you are going in Switzerland.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:30 AM

I totally agree with PalenqueBob. We loved Stresa when we visited a few years ago, and thought the Borromean Islands were the highlight of our trip to the area.

We could have taken a day long boat tour into Switzerland, but ran out of time. I think next time we visit, we'll try to do that since I've heard it's very beautiful.

Geography and climatewise, yes, Stresa is very similar to other lake areas.
If you decide to visit Stresa, try to stay in one of the lakefront hotels that offers rooms with balconies. The views of the Alps are majestic- day and night!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Contrary to the opinions of some, the fact is that August IS high season in Bellagio, at least at the Serbelloni. August has traditionally been mid-season in Venice, tho less so all the time. I've been in both locations for the past dozen or more Augusts. I suspect Bob has been there a few times himself and doesn't require correcting by novice travellers.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Prego Smarty!
Go to www.stresa.net for some hotels and more. I too like Stresa and the rail route may be faster to Gridelwald.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Oops ! Must be drinking--make that grazie Smarty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -