Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

August honeymoon: Amalfi? French Riviera?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Jennifer

Hi there. We're a bit late to the table trying to plan our mid-August honeymoon. Would love a mainly beachy relaxing visit, with a few days of culture and touring. I would love to do an Italy trip, including the Amalfi Coast, but I'm starting to think it's way too late to get reservations anywhere there in August. (Am I right?) We have a tentative itinerary right now of a few days in Venice, then to Amalfi, then a few days in Rome, but we have no hotels....If we can do it, how does one best get from Naples to anywhere on the Amalfi Coast? How do I pick which beach town to actually stay in? (Amalfi? Positano? Praiano? Or should we do Capri?)<BR><BR>We've also thought about doing a few days in Paris and then we can fly to Nice, (it's a special frequent flier deal, so I have limited options for destinations) but I know almost nothing about the French Riviera. (Is it a zoo in August? Where to stay?) Is there a reasonable Italian mini-trip we could take from Nice?<BR>Any help greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 12:07 PM
rich

consider portofino, splendido hotel. rome is only a few hour drive down the coast. great places to eat along the coast, super romantic, linguine and lobster over looking the meditteranean, portofino is super.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Carolyn

I agree with Rich. Also, Capri and the<BR>Blue Grotto are worth a visit. I find<BR>the Italians are much more cordial to<BR>Americans than the French, making the<BR>visit more memorable!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:42 PM
az

Jennifer--what do you desire more, beaches or scenery? F. Riviera scenery is not comparable to the spectacular views on the A. Coast(very few places in the world are!), but the beaches are far better. The A.C. beaches are all small stones, very little sand at all. But the scenery is to die for. Traffic will be heavy in both areas in Aug.<BR>Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Carla

Stay at La Cocumella in Sorrento. Its the most romantic hotel ever and where I stayed on my honeymoon.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:22 AM
kay

For years my husband would not go anywhere in France. Finally,on our25 wedding anniversary, I told him he had to see the Med. We have been back at least once a year since and this mid-August we celebrate our 40 anniversary and we will be In the Nice area. The Med is something that has drawn us back so many times. If you decide to go even for a day or 2 you might want to check out the VISTA Palace at Rouqurbrun for one of the most beautiful, cliff hanging locations over-looking Monte Carlo. It is expensive to stay at this time of year, but go in and have a drink at the bar for an fablous view-ride the elevator to the pool for another angle. Best Wishes and many years of happiness. Have a great trip whatever you decide.