Search

Audio headsets at Vatican museum vs. tour guide

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:58 AM
dtp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio headsets at Vatican museum vs. tour guide

Has anyone used the audio headsets at the Vatican museum (Sistine Chapel included in tape)? How long is the tape? Do you recommend the tape or should I try getting a guide? If so, any guide recommendations would be appreciated. Do they have tapes for St. Peter's?
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:54 AM

We went on one of the tours offered by the hotel, where they pick you up at the hotel and give you the guided tour. I would highly recommend this, we bypassed all lines to enter (admission was included) and the guide was excellent, pointing out things that we would not of understood on our own. It was worth every penney.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Do you remember which tour company and whether they have a web-sight?
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:17 AM
yk

I have used the audio guide at the Vatican museum. Yes, the Sistine Chapel is included. I cannot remember how long it was, but we were there for about 4-5 hours total. I thought it was rather good, but of course, I cannot compare that to a guide since I never used one.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:20 AM

I've done both and would rather have a guide. I learned more and got to skip the less interesting parts.

The company that picks you up at your hotel is VasTours.

BC
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:16 PM

The guides of Context Rome/Scala Reale are excellent--I've used them for other venues in Rome and wished I'd used their services for the Vatican on the first visit. Their guides are native English-speakers. Their Vatican tour includes St Peter's.

I recommend against the Vatican Museums' own tour guides. Ours spoke incomprehensible English.
On the other hand, the guide I had for just St Peters happened to be a British lady, so her English was better than mine. Don't know if that was just luck of the draw, or not.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Naturally, a tour guide is better. But, the audio headsets for the Vatican Museum are the best I've ever experienced at any museum anywhere. The length it takes is entirely up to you, as you key in the areas and/or the specifics pieces of art that you want to hear about.