Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yet another Vatican tour guide question....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have entered the Museum at it’s opening and headed directly to the Sistine Chapel –

We have limited time in Rome and will definitely take some guided tours to skip lines and generally maximize what we can comfortably do in just a few days. Top of the list for a guided tour is Vatican Museum.

I have checked with the private tour guides most frequently recommended on this forum and several are available for the time we are in Rome. The alternative is Walks of Italy’s Pristine Sistine tour. With only two of us, the private guide is more expensive, but not enough so to rule it out.

The real question is whether or not we truly get added value from the Pristine Sistine claim of early admission resulting in a significantly less crowded Sistine Chapel viewing? The Pristine Sistine meeting/start time is 7:45AM and advance purchase Vatican Museum tickets have timed admission as early as 8AM.

I know every day is different and none of us have a reliable crystal ball, but if we enter the museum with a private guide at 8AM and head directly for the Sistine Chapel are we likely to suffer significantly greater crowds than by entering with Walks of Italy at 7:45AM?
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:08 AM

Have you considered the tours that the Vatican itself offers? We were very happy with it. It is not expensive, and you get a reserved time to enter the Museum. You would not go directly to the Sistine Chapel, though.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:59 AM

Are you certain that you want a guide, or are you primarily thinking one might help you beat the crowds?

If it's the former and you're not certain you need a guide, I'd strongly suggest you plan to arrive around Noon or 12:30. I've visited the Vatican Museums many times and have learned that right around noon hour, the line all but disappears. I suppose most tour groups, etc. want their lunch then -- especially if they've been on the go all morning!

A private tour guide taught me that trick and I've found it really useful. I think it pays to be a bit unconvential in terms of timing; to go against the flow.

Once inside, you could head to the Sistene Chapel (although you will be directed through many important rooms of the museum enroute to the Chapel) It should be relatively quiet over the lunch hour.

Then, you can take your time looking at the other areas that interest you. Or, go the cafeteria in the basement for a bite to eat before resuming your visit.

I've never tried to go to the museum right at opening, but I've seen horrific mid-morning lines and have always suspected that far too many people mistakenly think that if they arrive around 8 or 9 they'll beat crowds.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I really doubt the Pristine Walks enter the museums before 8. If you read their website carefully you will see it says meet near the museum entrance at 7:45, not enter the museum at 7:45.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for some great insight and the noon entry tip. Makes good sense.

The Pristine Sistine information says that they are not just another skip the line tour and that they have exclusive early entry authority, but I remain very skeptical.

My main interest in a guide is efficiency. I was in Rome as a Eurail Pass, Youth Hostel, backpacking teen many years ago (1976) and had all the time I needed - spent an entire day at the Vatican. This time, I am with my wife, who has never before visited Rome, and we have just 3 full days. I am trying to find a good balance between seeing as much as we can in limited time and overdoing it.

I figure that 4 hours with a guide at each of (1) the Vatican Museum and (2) Colosseum/Forum/Palatine assures we see the highlights and have maximum time for other things. But, we are not generally the tour guide types and could be convinced to go it alone.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM

On our last trip to Italy, we purchased (online) the time-entry tickets for the Vatican Museums. Our entry time was 9 am, and it seemed to me as we entered (skipping the horrendous line out front, of course) that we were entering prior to the actual opening of the museum - but I could have been mistaken about that.

At that time of day, there were many people there, but it wasn't too crowded (we were there the first week of October), and we took our time with everything that we wanted to see, using a combination of several different guidebooks. We took a guided tour in the Vatican Museums once previously, and I found that we skipped things that I wanted to see, or didn't spend enough time at certain art or sculpture for my interests. This way, we could spend all the time wanted.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM

if you only visit the Sistine Chapel and you can arrange to do so at any time of day you can go directly at 2 pm. At that time, excluding the day of the papal audience, the line is reduced to a maximum wait of 10-15 minutes. Unfortunately, the psychosis of the queue generates that all the people comes throughout the early morning.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM

I share your skepticism! I notice Walks of Italy wording is careful to not suggest that they have any special rights, just that they'll start early. The Vatican Museum website is clear that the museum opens at 9 and this company doesn't promise to get you in before 9, only that they'll somehow beat the crowds. (presumably, by getting there early.)

By way of comparison, there are tour companies that have a special arrangement with the Vatican that allows them to offer after-hours access to the Sistene Chapel -- at a rate of about $350 to $500 per person in a group. I suspect that if Walks of Italy's "Pristine Sistine" had any special access rights, they would be charging much more than is posted on their website.

That said, I think there is enormous value in having a knowledgeable guide, for the Vatican itself but even more for the Colosseum and Forum. It can be difficult to understand the meaning of ruins without some expertise!
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 06:23 PM

Every year the Vatican changes the entrance guidelines/times, etc. A couple of years ago they only let tour groups in from 8-10 and then the general public at 10. That didn't work well so they did away with it last year. It appears they are trying another version of that this year. I see this early entrance tour listed on other Italy tour company websites for less money(50€). They are letting tour companies in at 8 and the general public at 9. That does not mean your tour company will be the only group, just one of many from various companies.

sacc - The 50€ price on my post is from the company that has the after hours private tour of the Vatican (275€ per person for two hours). I won't mention their name as they have acted ugly on Fodor's and I refuse to advertise for them, but you can look at their website and see the info about the tour. It clearly states they will enter at 8, an hour before the museum opens to the public.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:09 PM

Individual visitors can also buy timed-entry tickets for 8 am.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:47 PM

I hate to confuse you more, but if you have not researched the SCAVI tour at the Vatican, you must do so. I was in Rome this summer with my family and read about this tour on slow travel (slowtrav.com). This tour takes you to the excavations below St. Peters Basilica. This was THE highlight of our trip to Italy. Not many people are aware of it. Although it says that you have to book months in advance to get into the small group that is allowed in a day (120 - 200 people),I requested a specific time and date about two to three weeks prior to our arrival AND I had a 14 year old with me (it states you have to be 15yrs and older). I was thrilled to get an email confirmation before I left Canada. There is no line - 10- 12 people in a group at a set time (arrive 10 minutes before) and it is VERY inexpensive.
You will be admitted to the crypts under the Basilica and will be walking on the original hill of the necropolis (city of the dead) where you will see St. Peters original tomb and other pagan mausoleums that were covered by the original church. The tour is about 1 1/2 hours and at the end of it you it climb UP the stairs to the papal tombs where all of the tourists are. SO amazing!
It really should not be missed. We flew through the basilica after that, feeling absolutely priveledged that we got to see what so many other people don't even know about. I just can't say enough about it. There are some great descriptions of it from other tourists when you google it. Check it out.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM

>>>Zerlina on Jan 10, 11 at 3:09am
Individual visitors can also buy timed-entry tickets for 8 am.<<<

It appears the Vatican website does let you book an individual ticket for 8 am, but their website states they open at 9.

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...nfo_Orari.html
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 05:20 AM

I strongly recommend Walks of Italy for the Vatican, as my wife and I did it last August. After reading many great reviews about Jason Spiehler and some of his guides on tripadvisor and Rick steves I decided to book with them. They were prompt with replies to my questions and Jason even called to check that everything was going smoothly. The Pristine Sistine Chapel tour was wonderful, getting us in to the Vatican Museums before they opened to the general public. The line, by 8am, was already enormous around the walls. They had told us it is true that you can buy an individual ticket for the 8am entrance, but since our guide ran us ahead of everyone and took a shortcut route directly to the chapel, we were the first to enter there and the chapel remained pretty much empty for about 20 minutes. The best part, though was after they took us back through the museum to see all the rest of the galleries (the guide spoke perfect english and was fascinating), we came back into the sistine chapel once more at the end before entering St. Peter's (about an hour and a half or so after the first time). This time it was WALL to WALL people, and the guide explained that this was STILL morning crowds, and only gets worse throughout the day. We could hardly make it through to get to the exit door, and we took the tour guide exit directly into the church and toured the church before the end of the tour. I guess it's the unique style of the tour that makes it worthwhile! Hope that helps!
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM

I went to the Vatican website, and there are no dates available. I'm looking at anytime from April 20 - 23. I have seen many companies saying that you can book through them. which companies would you recommend?
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM

Latyoa_Kosh: Double-check the instructions on the Vatican website -- if I recall correctly, it only permits you to book tickets 60 days in advance, so you may be too early for your dates. Good luck!
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 07:20 AM

In addition to the suggestion above about going at lunch time, my tip from a local guide was to arrive at the Vat. Museums entrance at about 2:30-3pm. On our last trip to Rome we got in within 5 minutes, on two different days.
I have gone with guides and without--the experience depends on the particular guide.
I agree with the advice of going first to the Chapel, and then backtracking, and then ending up at the Chapel once more. The crowds and noise will be there, but you'll have two chances.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 07:21 AM

WOW, your right! That totally makes since. When I looked at April they were no dates available after April 6th. Thanks so much. I just assumed since April calendar was up, that all dates were bookable.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 06:35 PM

I don't think you will just be able to show up and get it. You are talking about a few days before Easter. Rome will be packed.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Opps. Get in, not get it.