Auberge Ravoux/Auvers sur Oise

Feb 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Auberge Ravoux/Auvers sur Oise

Has anyone eaten at the Auberge Ravoux in Auvers sur Oise? I am a Van Gogh NUT and am visiting Auvers for the first time in May. I'd like to eat at the Auberge, but I don't want to waste my money on bad food/tourist trap.

Other recs for a nice lunch in Auvers would also be appreciated, if the Auberge isn't up to snuff.
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM

I"d like to know too, Dejavu, but repost with Auvers sur Oise in the title for responses
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM

We ate years ago as the guest of friends who live in Eragny sur Oise so we never saw the menu. I remember the atmosphere was charming, the food was delicious but we were in a state of sensory overload as we had been to Giverny and the Impressionist Museum before going to the restaurant. Our friends thought it would be a special treat for us and it certainly was all that and more. It was truly a thrill to walk around and see the inspiration of the Van Gogh masterpieces. Our day was action packed but most memorable. Deborah
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM

OOPS!!!!!!sory I meant to suggest to another not you!!!!
A brain freeze!!
Feb 27th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Have not dined there or even been to the town, but for what it's worth, the 2204 Routard guide to the "best hotels and restaurants in France," aimed at cost-conscious French travelers, says of it (excuse this rough translation): The cuisine, inspired by old-fashioned recipes, goes beyond 'correct,' and the portions are generous. While it may not be inexpensive, it's excellent value for the price."
Feb 27th, 2006, 04:05 PM

A little ahead of myself. That's from the 2004 Routard.
Feb 28th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the posts. Anybody else?
Feb 28th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Dejavu I've seen a book about the Auberge Ravoux.
Jun 1st, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Wanted to report back that I DID eat at the Auberge Ravoux last week while in France...heavenly!!! A superb meal in an enchanting setting. You feel like you've stepped back into the late 19th century when you walk through the door. I enjoyed a three course lunch that was out of this world. If you go, get the mousse au chocolat for sure. ;-) I made reservations in advance, which turned out to be a wise move, as the restaurant is quite small and busy. Before or after your lunch, be sure to visit van Gogh's room upstairs.

Auvers in general was a wonderful day. I'm a huge Vincent fan, and felt immersed in his world walking around the town all by myself on a quiet Wednesday. I even walked through the wheatfields.

Search this Thread