Reload this Page >

Attn: Educators And Others / Summer Study Abroad Programs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Concerned Parent

I have read that there are many educators on this board. Seeking advice from you and anyone else in the know regarding Summer Enrichment Study Abroad Programs. My daughter received one at random in the mail from one called AIFS (American Institute For Foreign Study). Recommended? I think it is a great idea however, I must be very selective. Both of my kids are in highly-rated public schools in Texas, but are only average students. It seems a great way to enrich thier education and hopefully spark more interest in education. My husband and I became highly successful in spite of having only 2 years of college between us! I fear that they will think that is easily done and can do so too and not value education. We strive to emphasize that we live in a different world than 20 years ago and an education most of all gives you options! Anyway, I am looking for a program for for no longer than 1 month for the summer between thier Jr. & Sr. year. I want one that is highly accredited but not one where the kids are SO academic that they can't relate socially. I also don't want one where the parents send the kid to just to get rid of them. My kids are typical teens, well-behaved, have morals, faith in God and strong family values. Is it true that having this credential enhances one's college application? I can consult the school counselor, but I welcome your advice and suggestions. Thank you in advance!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Sar

hello--I attended a summer program in Leysin Switzerland (your choice of 2 weeks or a month i think). I took a few academic courses but mostly enjoyed courses that were geared towards drama, singing, photography..etc. The school is called leysin american school. they have a great home page-- I encourage you to check it out. Although it is called american school--I met people from all over the world. I had the best time (I was 15) and it opened up my eyes to so much. THe school is situated in the alps in the French part of Switzerland. please email me if you would like more details.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Studied Abroad

I am an educator and I have travled with AIFS as a student. It is a great program and it is that program that sparked lifelong travel hobby. It is a well supervised program. They emphasize staying on one location for a few weeks and then a quick tour of other capitols. <BR>It was an exhilirating but exhausting trip. The accomodations are collge dorms and very low budget pensiones often outside of the center of the city. They will not monitor drinking and will ask for a permission slip regarding drinking prior to the trip. I'm not a big drinker so while I had fun playing grown up and ordering drinks, I wasn't out to get drunk. Many were. But overall it was great program and I would recommend it to other young people. As a teacher, I thought about going, but the thought of being responsible for someone elses kid that far away from home gives me an ulcer. I can barely get through a field trip without a tranquilized.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:35 PM
sandra

Back when I was in school I and a friend participated in AIFS programs. AIFS is located here in Greenwich and were easily acessable to the Greenwich High population. I went on a 14 day holiday break to Great Britain and had a great time.<BR> My friend spent a summer in France living with a french family, a french emmersion program. The family he stayed with was a horror.They were alcoholics, made him sleep in the attic on a mattress. There was no phone in the house and not enough to eat. He tried many times to cntact AIFS to get him out of that house but to no avail.<BR> He roughed it out and spent most of his time in cafes in the town he was in( at 16 ) once the group made it to the end where they were reunited in Paris it was fine. However most of the group had the same experiences. <BR> I can't say that it is still the same, but I can tell you it is still run and owned by the same people. I would stay away from AIFS

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Christina

I took a program with AIFS to Paris, France many years ago (1988), but it was okay. AIFS really just was a coordinator of arrangements, transportation and applications -- they didn't teach anything themselves. I thought that was their normal function, just to be the program coordinator. My program was at the Sorbonne and because I didn't know French very well at that time (and hadn't traveled so much), I went through a program like that which took care of everything. Of course they made a big markup on the Sorbonne tuition and room costs, which I later found out you could do yourself if you know how, but things were handled ok. The education was that of the Sorbonne, AIFS didn't have any teachers.<BR><BR>I've seen their other programs, and that seems to be the norm to me. For example, the summer enrichment program in London involves classes at Richmond U. I read an article in the local paper once by a parent who sent their kid for that program because he didn't get admitted to any of the colleges he wanted, and the author thought very highly of it and the experience -- after a year, he got into a college back home, but it was very enriching. So, I think Richmond is a decent education. I don't know what kind of program you are looking at, but I would certainly consider one that was at a regular university and whose credits would transfer (like the Sorbonne, although that was for French, Richmond, etc). I wasn't aware they had programs for kids in high school, however.<BR><BR>I thought the AIFS staff were okay, some better than others; I would not rate them as outstanding, but I didn't need a lot of help with anything. I would not want to go to some family stay program myself, and would avoid those and opt for student dorms/residences. That would avoid the problem mentioned above, for one thing.<BR><BR>There are many programs like this around. www.shawguides.com lists many study abroad programs, as well as www.studyabroad.com and peter<BR>sons guides. Unless you have a lot of money, I don't think this is at all necessary for any high school kid -- I consider it a frill or luxury. I would not do it if the main reason is because you think it will help them get into some university. I don't thing it has anything to do with religion or &quot;family values&quot; and don't understand your reference to those things.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:56 AM
why not

If your kids have not travelled before perhaps and learning a new language is the main focus it may be better to try a language program in Quebec. Most of the universities and cegeps (no american equivalent, sort of a university prep school) offer summer classes in French with the option to either live in dorms or with a family. give the low CDN dollar it would also be cheaper. (www.aucc.ca for a list of universities)<BR><BR>Europe is great though, in general I would think Berlitz (www.berlitz.com)or EF (www.ef.com , i think) might be better to go with as they are both fairly well known and established companies. Many universities in Europe probably offer their own summer immersion courses as well

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Concerned Parent

Sar - I will look at that website. It sounds geared toward the arts which is great but my kids don't really have a flair in any one direction. That is why I want them to travel in hopes it will inspire them. Life in public school &amp; pop culture hasn't done more than spark an interest in being in the &quot;popular&quot; crowd, what to wear, cars, &amp; MTV. However, they have played a variety of sports. We are in a very large, highly competitive high school with some of the best athletes in Texas, and even though my son was able to compete at the top, by his Soph year he harldly got to play due even better players. My daughter made a sport team in 8th grade, but couldn't even make the B team by the next year which was the first year in h.s. She failed to play year-round which made the difference. I'm kind of glad they are not so entrenched in one thing as with competition as such, these kids don't get much of a variety of experiences. I try to help them cultivate some other interests but am not having a lot of success. I am make sure not to pressure them into what might me my interest hoping they will find their own. If it happens to be the same as mine, all the better! <BR><BR>To Studied Abroad - Budget accomo. are fine, teenage drinking is not. I kind of expect my kids to be curious and like you want to play grown up, but hope they would be in control like you and realize it's not a sin, but not a necessary part of all events. LOL on your last comment! I felt the same way when my husband &amp; I volunteered to be a camp counselor on my kids church retreat one year (500 jr high kids). After a 13 hr bus ride one way, and 7 days of a grueling schedule of long days, it was more like boot camp than church camp to me! I must say, it was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had as far as watching spiritual growth in kids of this age. <BR><BR>To Sandra - That's one horror story I want to avoid. Thanks for sharing. <BR><BR>To Christina - Thanks for the websites to reference. My interest in such a program is not to insure admission to a college. I know it takes much more than that. The brochure just said it would strenghten your prospects for acceptance and even transfer as credit to some. I wondered it the first was true or just hype. As far as my description of my kids including values and being Christians, I was just trying to be offer a few details to anyone who may be well-versed for purposes of matching them to a specific group who may have similar kids. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Sar

the school is not geared at all to the arts--i just went that route as i tended to stick with sports back home. They have a very fun sports camp as well that encourages participation and fair play. they also do day trips to glaciers for skiing and white water rafting. also you do trips to wonderful cities in Switzerland and trips to paris as well.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Concerned Parent

That sounds good. Thanks so much!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Emily

<BR>These programs might be more academic than you're looking for, but thought I would mention them. <BR><BR><BR>University of Dallas Summer Programs Abroad for High School Students<BR>http://www.udallas.edu/udtrave<BR><BR><BR>Oxford Advanced Studies Program has a summer program for high school students. http://www.oasp.ac.uk<BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Karen

Have you thought about going back to college? You mentioned the kids don't seem too interested in school. If they see you going through the process, it might help them. In my area there are a number of night and weekend college programs for the 'mature' (ha! the only place 30 is considered mature) student.<BR><BR>You might want to talk to the school about placement exams. The ASVAB (maybe ASVAP) from the armed services might show an interest you hadn't thought of