Attitude in Spain

Search

Attitude in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attitude in Spain

Since the train bombings and the election of a new government, what has been the attitude of Spanish hotel, restaurant, merchants, and people on the streets toward American Tourists?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:50 AM

I live in Barcelona, and Im American, and as Ive posted previously, no one in Spain (as far as Ive seen or heard) is blaming the Americans in any way, or expressing any negative attitude towards American people. The Spanish blame Aznar, the former president, and they dont like Bush (like many Americans ourselves), but that doesnt mean that they dont like Americans. I have not felt any change in attitude or any negativity about Americans, and neither have the other Americans I know here. Like anywhere, the economy appreciates our tourist business!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:03 AM
JonJon

Fortunately, the folks in Europe aren't as xenophobic as WE are here and wouldn't consider re-naming foods and other absolutely useless but obviously soothing activities to the poorly-informed amongst us to divert their attention from the real issues.
GET OVER the notion that Europeans are as small-minded when it comes to politics...just asking this question is insulting enough, much less believing that it could possibly be true.

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:07 AM

>>...just asking this question is insulting enough, much less believing that it could possibly be true.>>

I don't think the question was insulting. Are we not allowed to ask questions that express our concerns about travel on this board?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:21 AM

Bonjour JonJon,

I visited Arizona at the height of the "crisis" between the US and France, and although everybody here told me I would suffer many indignities, I was received with the usual courtesy, everybody complained about the stupidity of renaming food and trading insults, etc.

It seems therefore to me that Americans are not all that small-minded after all ;-)