Attend a concert in Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, not the ones peddled by the powdered-wigged and costumed fake Mozarts that lurk around at tourist attractions. Go to the ones performed by the REAL musicians who live and work in this famed birthplace of the Maestro himself. For example, this Web page, aimed toward the locals or European tourists in the know, lists instrumental and vocal concerts in the upcoming week (it gets updated with new events though link may change):

http://www.drehpunktkultur.at/index....d=79&Itemid=85

(OK, if you can't read German, you can always use Babel Fish translator ...)

Not only are these local concerts less expensive than the ones targeted for the tourists, you know the performers are of a higher calibre (or they won't be able to put food on their table). The concerts are held in music halls and local universities not usually listed in your average guide book though still magnificent edifices and easy to find. Wouldn't it be a bragging right back home to have visited a building that most people don't know about? Best of all, you won't be listening to Eine Kleine Nachtmusik with other bleary-eyed tourists!
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM

thank you!
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 11:48 PM

Maybe you could tell us some buildings or names to look out for as this is going to be quite confusing for people to even know where to search. Do you happen to be one of the musicians?
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

The Mozarteum located at Schwarzstrasse 26 in Salzburg (mentioned here in Fodor: http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/a...ew-163389.html) has various concert rooms in which are held different performances throughout the year, but especially in the summer. The acoustics of the room are great and so are the musicians, many of them students and faculty of the Universität Mozarteum Salzburg, a pretigious performing arts university. Happy travels!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Opps, missed your last question: no, I'm not a musician. I'm in science but love classical music!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's the link to concerts at the Schloss Mirabel:

http://www.salzburger-schlosskonzerte.at/de/index.htm

we booked tickets through the tourist office on the day we arrived. the programme is serious classical - mainly chamber music - and not a powdered wig or frock coat in sight. the players' CVs stated that they were all teachers at the Mozarteum, or similar and the standard appeared to me to be very high, though i noticed that their programmes were quite "samey" which might lead to them getting a bit stale. the room they play in is a work of art in itself, and the performance is preceded by the opportunity to have a drink - juice or wine - which was nice.

ref the mozarteum itself, a friend of mine's son was invited to play there last year - she said they had a wonderful time and the music was amazing.

if you are in Salzburg for longer, there are plenty of concerts advertised on the doors of churches - we saw one we'd have liked posted on the door of the cathedral, but it was for the next week when we'd be gone. also there are visiting choirs - we listed to a school choir rehearsing in a church we had wandered into, which was great.