ATMs in Italy

Mar 29th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

ATMs in Italy

What is the maximum amount most ATMs in Italy will allow one to withdraw at a time?

Is there easy access to ATMs at the Rome airposrt?
Mar 29th, 2008, 09:57 AM

For me it is what my bank will allow, not the bancomat in Italy. Just be forewarned, if one you go to doesn't work, try one from a different bank. This has happened to me on two different trips. The first trip Bank of Venezia bancomats worked fine and the second trip they did not and I was successful with the Bank of Roma.
Mar 29th, 2008, 10:01 AM
J62

Last year I was able to withdraw 250 Euros at a time without a problem. I did not try any amount higher than that.

I arrived at FCO on AA, and there was an ATM in the baggage claim area. There was a line and I didn't need any Euros, so I didn't bother to wait.
Mar 29th, 2008, 10:05 AM
ira

Hi H,

Your bank sets your daily limit.

You can have it raised.

ATMs usually dispense 250-300E max for each transaction.

Mar 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM

bfrac,

Be sure to tell your bank you are going to be in Italy and the dates you will be there. Otherwise they may block your withdrawals as an anti-theft precaution. Also ask what the daily limit is and ask them to increase it while you are there. And it is really true you may have to "shop" for ATMs that work. I have also found that it differs from town to town. One caution: don't try more than twice in succession to use a particular bank machine. My daughter did that three times, thinking maybe she was entering her password wrong or something. The ATM ate her card! She had to go into the bank and wait in line for about half an hour to get it back!
Mar 29th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you for the information, suggestions, and alerts.

HTTY