ATMs in Greece

Aug 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

ATMs in Greece

Going to greece in 10 days!!!
I just heard that it is hard to get money from ATM if you have a plus atm/visa card but very easy if you have a cirrus card. Do I need to get a cirrus card??
Aug 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Sounds very strange. Cirrus is linked with MasterCard, Plus with Visa. And I don't recall restrictions on being able to use my cards in Greece where businesses or ATM would take one of the two.

Check out your plus card network online and see what Greek banks it's linked with. Then you just find those branches in Greece.
Aug 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM

That may have been the case a few years back ... I remember in about 2003, I had to make sure I found a PLUS atm.... but now they are widespread. I actually have 2 accounts, one is Cirrus ... just in case there's a "glitch" of any kind with my bank, or the atim or whatever...

I believe you can just "google" PLUS System Banks Greece, and it will list them ... Most of the banks are national, and the biggies are everywhere...
Aug 25th, 2009, 03:43 PM

My Plus ATM card has worked just fine for me in Greece. Please remember to contact your bank to let them know that you'll be using your ATM card wherever you plan to go in Europe so the transaction won't be denied and use of the card 'frozen.' That's one of the most common mistakes made.
Aug 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Not an issue. My husband just spent 9 weeks all over Greece and had no issues whatsoever with our ATM card(also PLUS). You WILL need it. Greece is a very cash-oriented society and credit cards are only rarely accepted.
Aug 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM

another thing to ask your bank is the maximum per day withdrawal. If you are from US, a $400 maximum is only 300 Euros. You might ask to have the limit raised to, say $700, so u are not always running to the ATM.

A final thing -- when they ask where you'll be using the ATMs, just say "Europe." A friend of mine said "Greece." Then she had a layover in Frankfurt and started to get money, and her bank thought it was fraud/theft, and froze here account. just tell them Europe. And franklly, when i do the above arrangements I don't telephone, I go IN to the bank. Then you can SEE the person put the info into your records on the computer .... no surprises then.
Aug 30th, 2009, 04:33 AM

I just returned from a trip to Athens and the Greek Isles. Had no problem using my ATM card at the numerous ATMs on the mainland and on the islands. I did not inform my bank in advance, as I so often go out of the country, but perhaps it is a good idea..